Latest activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Why are you unhappy today?

Well, this was on the much smaller neighboring island of Gozo, a Maltese tourism hotspot and very cramped for space. Packs of starving cats and dogs (most of which had been dumped by Maltese who came over on the ferry to do exactly that)  were swarming around hotels and restaurants begging for food, often in terrible condition. Very noticable, indeed.
  3. I am unhappy that I disagree with you, engelchen, re your last point.(Only your last point! ). Whatever happens: the Basistarif is terrible. About 800 euros a month and below public insurance level and many docs will not even accept the patient. This cannot be the solution for this young person. There are too many pieces of the jigsaw still missing to make a judgement about what can happen now. She must be health insured but who was responsible for the current situation and what is now possible? I am giving thoughts to the situation but I am not sure, either. Yes, Paragraph this and that and another Paragraph but..in the real world? eg who knows whom?
  4. Today
  5. German neighbour etiquette

We don´t have German neighbours here in our village! We have a psychopathic French couple next door, with whom we have not exchanged a word for two years. They called the police a few times..yes,a FEW times. One time: the French guy came screaming " oh, there is a suffering dog..can you help? ". Long story but we took the dog in. Some months later, two cops came to my office door: " your neighbour says you have too many dogs." I let the cops in and (one of them had a gun ) and it worked out ok. It turned out the senior cop had been an insurance broker many years before so we exchanged some jokes! And Nicole and I had just done our first ever diving lesson..and last, by the way! I showed him some pics! Max ( who is nervous ) behaved himself and all worked out well. Other stories with the French guy..ok, " you shall go to prison. My daughter is a lawyer with the Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ." I still have his Facebook rant stored just in case one day. Bloody nutcase. Other neighbour: Kyoupe, 80 years old and my landlady for the office...illiterate and owns five houses. My Nicole is away at the moment visiting her son and she thinks I am probably hungry so brings me food! Sweet! Wonder if I can find the diving photo? ( Edit: clever moi! Somehow! ) Never again, by the way. We both nearly drowned!  
  6. Random pointless comments

No surprises there then.    
  7. Gewerbenachweis and UmsatzIdNummer

I believe that is your personal Steuernummer, you will get another one after you fill your Fragebogen out and send it. I suggest you do it through Elster Online, it's the simplest way.    Yes, go for non-Kleinunternehmer option. You will in that case, however, be obliged to, at least in the first year, to submit monthly declarations of your VAT traffic (Umsatzsteuer Voranmeldung). It's only possible to do it through Elster Online but is fairly simple. Moreover, once you make it, for the future cases you will be able to use as a template one of the previously completed VAT forms.
  8. I saw that "Treble Treble" was trending, is j2 okay?
  9. Why are you happy today?

I know, hoops..and the worst mezes in our village...snails. Bloody snails..we are NOT in France..this is Crete! Worse..much worse...beetroot..I like! I like! (In a salad )...they bloody serve it warm here. WARM! Urgghhh. No wonder Napoleon only spent one night here! ( the ruin he slept in is still here..no signs, no tourist info, no " Mr Napoleon lived here..from..till! " )(Ok,slept here and had his way with a local lady of the night).Nothing!    https://www.cretanbeaches.com/en/cities-and-towns-in-crete/ierapetra-city/napoleo-s-house   Not far from us. Passed it on the way to the market today! Didn´t buy anything at the market. All selling the same: tomatoes, onions, aubergines, feta cheese. Supermarket was ok. Fried chicken, of which I will eat a bit tomorrow...the cats will be happy, though. And only one dog, Max. The others have sensitive stomachs..better not!
  10. German neighbour etiquette

My neighbour once asked me to borrow my lawnmower. And the round garden rubbish bags.   He returned the mower later. And two filled sacks of grass cuttings. Kind.
  11. Why are you happy today?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/47475811 I am indeed on fire, hoops! Grrrrh!! Followed by:
  12. Why are you happy today?

John G is on fire, stand back for fear of being burned.  If you were to be picky John, which you weren't, tapas aren't Greek either.  They have their own version, meze. Like in the UK when we say "have an Indian meal", most of the restaurants are actually Bangladeshi.
  13. Which past members do you miss the most?

You need to go to Specsavers.
  14. German neighbour etiquette

Or just tell a white lie and say you had a bad experience lending an item in the past and never do it now.    What is clear is if you lend the item once, the person will continue to borrow it until you say no (or it comes back damaged).
  15. Why are you happy today?

Dates are Arab food! Not Greek! 😂
  16. German neighbour etiquette

You know you are fully within your rights to say no if you don't want to lend someone something.  I wouldn't have any problem saying no to a neighbour I hardly know.  If you don't want to be direct about it, you can say the item they want to borrow you don't have, it's broken, you already lent it to someone else, the vacuum cleaner is out of bags, the printer needs a new ink cartridge etc.   As for Wifi, you will get in trouble if they download something illegally so it's a good idea to say no.  Or you offer them a contract where they sign up to share your Wifi and pay half the monthy cost which I'm sure they'll not sign because they are looking for free.  Or if you don't care about pissing them off, you can just say why don't you get Wifi and I'll just use yours and cancel mine?      
  17. Why are you happy today?

Date night! Greek tapas in town. 
  18. German neighbour etiquette

Lovely story, RajeshG! Especially about the changed password!😂
  19. German neighbour etiquette

Borrowing by hardly known neighbours it seems is becoming the new normal.    Today a neighbour dropped by and asked for my vaccum cleaner. We are just on hello terms and i found this a bit odd. I mean i had been without one for the last 2 years and used broom and mop to clean the home. They are double income no kids family, If they needed one then they should have bought one. I can imagine a critical thing eg if you need to go to vet with your cat but dont have a box, you may borrow it. But to borrow a vaccum cleaner . I was in a delima - if i had not given her, then there would have been the  awkward meetings in the hallway but now its been eight hours, and  she has yet to return  it though she had taken it explicitly for an hour.   The other day another neighbour walked into our home and asked my partner to print some stuff - again something important and urgent, we do understand. But it turned out to be some flyers for her yoga class    And another time a 3rd neighbour asked to use internet for something urgent. We shared the password and after a week changed it. And she kind of complained to my wife that, it seems we have changed the password -    And mind you all these are German young people and not some immigrant. In my part of the world, we would make fun of such borrowers.   So is this the generational thing of us living within our means and nowadays people just get it - beg, borrow or steal  
  20. Next Badminton is 28.05.2019 19:30-21:30        The closing time for reservations is Midnight on SATURDAY. Booking: Please sign up below. Please note that all names down at the deadline are committed bookings! Please ALWAYS specify the times you wish to play e.g. 19:30-20:30 Important: Please do check back here on the Monday evening after 23:00 for updates before turning up! We may have to adjust your preferred times if too many sign up for the courts we have available! Please copy this post and add your booking.        1. Colin 20:00-21:30 2. AdamL 8.30-9.30pm 3. Andy 20:00 - 21:30 (can start at 19:30 if there are more people) 4. Leni 20:00 -21:30  
  21. Gewerbenachweis and UmsatzIdNummer

When I filled for taxes few years ago (einkommensteuererklärung) I received a steuernummer in this format "112/474/00380". Is this the same or will I get a new one for Gewerbe?    For now I don't know if I will earn more then 17.500€ but I guess that it would be still better if I enter VAT system? And at the end I will also sell outside Germany    
  22. Brexit: The fallout

My understanding is that if your previous health insurer is defined as 'public' ,then you qualify for public health insurance here. That, and the fact that Australia is not in the EU.   The issue now is for Brits who haven't worked in Germany, with the UK threatening to leave them high and dry in a No Deal. We are talking about people who may have paid nat insurance and taxes towards  their healthcare their whole working lives , just being told tough luck, sort it out, whilst the Government pockets their contributions. In effect, helping to bail the Government out so that people like Boris can claim  all the preparations for a No Deal have been sorted.  Imagine the outcry in the UK if pensioners were told to cough up again for their healthcare!  We are not talking about a one off payment here, as in the case of those having to pay for 'settled status' in the UK. This can amount to thousands of euros annually.       
  23. Next Badminton is 28.05.2019 19:30-21:30        The closing time for reservations is Midnight on SATURDAY. Booking: Please sign up below. Please note that all names down at the deadline are committed bookings! Please ALWAYS specify the times you wish to play e.g. 19:30-20:30 Important: Please do check back here on the Monday evening after 23:00 for updates before turning up! We may have to adjust your preferred times if too many sign up for the courts we have available! Please copy this post and add your booking.        1. Colin 20:00-21:30 2. AdamL 8.30-9.30pm 3. Andy 20:00 - 21:30 (can start at 19:30 if there are more people) 
  24. Why are you happy today?

Then you are very lucky. I heard in Germany, public offices are not allowed to have |AC. I have to say Germans are very tolerant. I cannot imagine any one in the States can stand such heat in summer. Even at the peak of summer the temperature 38 c degrees, inside that metal box of train, no one even complained.
  25. I miss jeremy2 and SpiderPig! They haven‘t been around for ages! 😂
  26. Why are you unhappy today?

Greets, Metall🙏🏻! Interestingly enough, your point about the strict laws being passed because of the effect on tourism on Malta- the opposite happened last year in our closest town (Agios Nikolaus ) , when the city authorities banned ( at the last minute ) a stand belonging to a foreign animal welfare group and aiming to raise funds during a local holiday festival in a tourist area: BECAUSE it would give foreign visitors a negative impression!😟   By the way, I remember , last year , Nicole being in Agios one day and seeing a child crying because he had just seen a badly injured dog and the mother came along and grabbed her child and said: „ don‘t cry. It‘s only a dog.“ Nicole gave the mother a real ear- bashing!👍🏼
  27. Load more activity