Latest activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

@engelchen, I don't mind you speaking your mind.  I do mind you speaking mine. Of course parents need to be proactive.
  3. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

It is not just the schools. It is also the Kitas and the system as a whole.   Germany has changed since you've lived here and telling a foreign parent they have nothing to worry about is ignorant and irresponsible.    @Valerienellk    I think we can all agree that your child is at age where it is still possible to learn German, however, I disagree with katheliz's opinion that you don't need to be proactive.    There are many activities in which your child can participate, you just need to find the right ones for him. Once he starts Kita you could also try to organise after school playdates with other children.       
  4. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

I am not a big supporter of placing children in front of tv but here I'd suggest to buy a few DVD ( or library) and let your  lill'un watch it. Reason is that in Kindergarten there are certain films/characters that all children do know and refer to. That way he picks up a little German and at least has an idea whats going in if he is beeing greeted by a töröö and will unterstand why so many kids here answer the question what noise an elephant makes with töröö. For a start let him watch a few Bob Builder or Caillou DVD he already knows in English now in German. Then checkout Benjamin Blümchen. Then maybe a few Conny DVDs. I also support the recommendation of putting him into sport. Kinderturnen, footie, whatever he likes. Gives him a chance to meet his classmates and pick up language en passant. 
  5. Today
  6. What are you listening to right now?

Time to hang up my boots and mouse    
  7. Why are you unhappy today?

A friends dog was far gone with cancer and he decided to give him a perfect last day. He took the day off and spent it with his buddy at the lake, feeding him all his favourite treats.  He said it was really a perfect day. The next day he had him put down.
  8. What's got you flummoxed today?

My French connection claims that he does not know any other significance other than beef you eat.  He is however not in homosexual circles.  My Montreal connection does know that scene a bit better and she claimed it's a beefy stocky guy.     So fraufruit is probably right or maybe Sannerl because it could also be a club.  Or maybe they were just talking dinner.
  9. "Untranslatable" German words

Nope, I did have a look but "Ficktasche" didn't quite do it  
  10. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

Children are inquisitive and pick up things indiscriminately with rapid ease: colds, a rusty nail in the park, words that they hear around them.    If the parent is not in a position to discriminate on bahalf of the child, then additional help may need to be found.     
  11. "Untranslatable" German words

Are you using Google to reverse translate?
  12. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

Children's acquisition of language is immutable.  Foreign children - and there were many, because we lived in a community with many foreigners were who were temporarily in the US - who came into my kids' California classrooms (before we moved to Germany) picked up English at a surprising speed.  Again, it's what kids do. I know a lot of things have changed in (almost) fifty years, but children's ability to learn hasn't. If there are problems in German schools - and I don't doubt it - it's due to the schools' inability to learn.
  13. What are you listening to right now?

Still sounds good after all these years.        
  14. Climate change discussion

Nor in Frankfurt. And I bet a whole lot of people could do this too, and get fitter and less stressed.And richer, I remember car insurance.
  15. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

Or a bit of "fuck you" to Carsten and send the kids to an international school.
  16. Why are you unhappy today?

Almost the end of an era. We could have ended it at the vet today but gave Snoopy a chance.The best food ever for a couple of days..guilty conscience etc. We found Snoopy in Heraklion around 2006. Such a sociable dog. So beautiful. It´s nearly over. The big beige dog. The fastest of all in Hamburg running against his friends. He can hardly walk. He can hardly eat. His mum is waiting for him. I told him that last night. He licked my hand. He knows it is over.
  17. Next game is on Sunday, August 25th at 3:00pm at location 2. That's near Hirschau Biergarten, and is our regular Sunday spot.   Please bring both a light and a dark shirt.   Map to location 2: http://goo.gl/maps/1e   See you on the field
  18. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

Whilst I tend to agree that the kid will learn German at Kindergarten, it really is a very different one to that of thirty or forty years ago - with the mass immigration of asylum seekers only a few years ago, many of them are still struggling to integrate children from a totally different immigrant background.   I would suggest taking the kid along to Kinder Turnen or football or whatever is locally available for the little ones, and see if he can`t make contact with German-speaking kids there.   As Katheliz said, stick to your own language when reading books, etc - much better than bad German, which the little one would also pick up!   Whilst it`s true that the little one will pick up the language much quicker and easier than the OP, it is also important that he not forget his first language!    
  19. Brexit: The fallout

No worries John. It's a complicated intertwined history.
  20. Language acquisition for 5/6 year old

He'll eventually pick it up, however, what he learns and whether or not he learns proper German will depend on the Kita he attends and the friends he makes. You can increase his chances of learning proper German by looking for a Kita with experience with foreign children and a good personnel ratio.  
  21. This is where I will be in a few weeks getting my old apples tree harvest made into juice:     This lake is about 10 minutes away on the bike...     It has a "special" area some Germans love.    One sign you may be confused about when you come to Germany is "FKK". I once went in there and had a hell of a shock! like walking into Carry on Camping if you are a Brit! FKK means "Frei Körper Kultur" and yes it means naked. There's a segment there where people bathe nude. I occasionally drop in there if I am sweaty after biking in the forest. 
  22. Untrue (Alternative) facts

The more bland your food tastes, the better it is for you.
  23. Brexit: The fallout

My apologies, then. I need some more reading up. 
  24. What's got you flummoxed today?

BOO!!!!
  25. Load more activity