Refund of social security contributions (pension) - Germany

For Indians working in Germany less than five yrs

Pages: 1 2

rpriyamtech
Dear all,
I am from India and working in Germany. I pay for social contributions. My stay here will be for less than 5 yrs. Is refund of the contributions possible and when should I claim them..
Thanks in advance for your valuable suggestions...
highered
If you pay in for fewer than five years, you can get a refund of what YOU paid in after two years have elapsed. More info at deutscherentenversicherung.de
Starshollow
unless there is a bilateral agreement between Germany and India or whatever country you chose next to have your residence at. This you can also check at the website highered refers to above

Cheerio
iskjain
Visit Social Security Refund to get answers to your queries. This is specifically for Indians.
benny4
rohdewald-consulting also works the same for indians or most other non-EU citizens..
sloth
Citizens of India can claim back their contributions paid to the German Pension fund, if:

-they are currently not staying in the EU
-the last time they have been insured in the German pension fund is more than 24 months ago

It doesn't matter for citizens of India how long they paid to the German Pension fund.

In order to apply for the refund, you have to fill the form V901 (in German/English language). Don't get confused with the form V900 (which is the same but only in German...).

Additional information (also for citizens of other countries) can be found at:

www.german-tax-back.com

Hope it will help you!
vaish.pm
Hello,

I am from India, working in Germany since september 2006. If I work here for more than 60 months(5 years) am I still eligible to receive Pension refund(Social security). I get different answers from various websites. I am confused which one to rely on. Is there an official website wherein I could get the exact information.

Regards,
Lakshmi
engelchen
AFAIK after paying into the system for 5 years you are eligible to make voluntary contributions and are, therefore, no longer eligible to have your contributions refunded. On the other hand you will receive a German pension (which probably won't be that much unless you retire soon ) and are probably also eligible for a Niederlassungserlaubnis. The official information is available on the DRV website.

Your best bet is to make an appointment online and go to the the Deutsche Rentenversicherung office nearest you. They will be able to answer all your questions and let you know how much you'd be eligible to receive either as a refund or later as a pension.
iskjain
Hi,

Please note that there is no such condition of 5 years limit for Indians. Every Indian who contributed to German Pension system can get refund.

This is based on our practical experience. We have helped two such person (> 5 years) to get the refund. Also lot of cases with < 5 years.

For more details visit: http://ssr.germanymantra.com/

Best regards
Surendra Jain
engelchen
And how much do you charge for this service?

There might be a special rule for Indian citizens. I am not sure about this. However, the DRV will provide all the necessary information at no charge.
sloth
The so called "special rule" is not only valid for Indian citizens, but for everyone being citizen of "vertragsloses Ausland" (countries which have no particular agreement with Germany regarding pensions). And the population in these countries represent definitely the majority on this planet. I really don't want to know how many people were eligible to apply for a German pension refund but didn't, because they believed in the 5-years rule.

I think several posts above I gave a link to my website, where everyone can find out if she/he is eligible to a pension refund or not. No need to spam again
bailey550
AFAIK after paying into the system for 5 years you are eligible to make voluntary contributions and are, therefore, no longer eligible to have your contributions refunded. On the other hand you will receive a German pension (which probably won't be that much unless you retire soon ) and are probably also eligible for a Niederlassungserlaubnis.
You mean, that if I stay, work, and contribute in Germany for more than 5 years, I can go back to the U.S. and receive my social security there plus a German pension? My parents did that--got a Canadian pension + U.S. social security but they had to spend 6 months in each country.

I called the U.S.social security office once and I thought what they told me was that I could receive either U.S. social security or the German one but not both, and the German one would be less because less time working here. At time of retirement, I'd have enough credits to receive full U.S. social security without 'combining' the two.
engelchen
Short answer: Sloth is right and you should take a look at his website (see post #6 above).

Long answer:

In one of the Rentenversicherung seminars I attended, the guy explained that after making 60 months of contributions, i.e. 5 years, it is not possible to receive the contributions back. However, it seems he left out the part that it depends on your citizenship and whether or not your country of origin has an agreement with Germany and what it says. In his defense, I think I was the only foreigner in the room, I know I was the only one under 50.

For example, Canada has an agreement and after contributing 60 months, I can’t get my contributions back, but can receive a pension (if there is any money left) when I retire. The Indian and Chinese agreements only govern secondment and they can receive their contributions after they have been out of the EU for more than 2 years, even if they have contributed more than 60 months (although it start getting complicated if you are already over 65).

I think that anyone wanting to claim back their contributions should first check out Sloth’s website and then make an appointment with the DRV for a Kontoklarung before leaving Germany.
kanda
If you retire in Germany, then I guess you get your normal rente? ( however small that is ) ?
iskjain
Anyone (German, EU resident or others) who contributes for less than 5 years in German pension system and reaches to retirement age (currently 65 and will be 67 in future) must take refund of contribution. If somebody has reached the retirement age and has not contributed for 5 years then s/he can get refund without waiting for 2 years also, since there is no possibility to get pension.

Best regards
Surendra Jain
http://ssr.germanymantra.com/
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.