Universities in Hamburg that teach in English

Are there any? If so, where?

Pages: 1 2

RyanX1988
Im a 19 year old American moving to Germany and I would like to go to a University in Hamburg but I have one major issue. I need the University to teach in English as I do not speak much German at all. If anyone has any suggestions of a University in Hamburg that teaches in English that would help or any place that the subway goes to thats is close to Hamburg that would be wonderful. If there are no Universites in Hamburg that teach in English does anyone know the steps that I need to enroll and a regular University and spend about a year learning German and have a full student visa. Thanks a ton
HEM
Just curious to know why you expect universities in Hamburg (Germany) to teach in English language (the locals speak...)
RyanX1988
I dont have a very high expectation but I heard from another player in the team I am in here in germany that there is a university that teaches in English and I was hoping that was true.
black1
International University Bremen is a possibility
cartography
Check out http://www.daad.de (there's an English site, too, but I can't remember if it's .org or .com). You can do a search for either graduate or undergraduate programs taught in English ("International" programs) throughout Germany.

Jacobs University (formerly International University Bremen) - http://www.jacobs-university.de - is entirely English-language-based.
Rob1989
I know someone who studied engineering or aviation (or something complicated like that) in Hamburg, and the whole course was taught in English.

Get a German-speaking friend to check out websites with you and you should find something.
CaliforniaCrocus
Most likely the Technical University in Harburg.
highered
See here:
Universities that teach courses in English

I'll even quote from my own post:
Yes, there are some 'international' degree programs with English as a/the language of instruction, though most of them are at the Master's level.

The DAAD websites--daad.org and daad.de--are worth a visit!

For example, you can search here: http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienange...s/07535.en.html

Here's a link to a search to get you started--57 Bachelor's programs in English with no German language test admissions requirement:
http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienange...mp;ipenter.y=19

Also, what is your educational background? You have a high school diploma, I assume. Anything else?
There are special requirements for admission to German universities. In Germany, there are multiple types of secondary school diplomas/degrees, and international students have special requirements to meet.
Also of interest:
I'm planning to study abroad
20-year-old Canadian thinking of moving to Germany
RyanX1988
Thanks for all the help you all, going to get someone to help me read through some things and hopefully it will all work out.
highered
After reading through the info, if you have specific questions or want help with the German on Anabin, feel free to post or PM.
Barri Short
I imagine the best way to learn a new language would be to be immersed in it, and that includes studying too. If the course is academic it would probably be tough, but something like graphic design or fine art would be easier if taught in German.

Why do you want to study in English? I've heard that some universities do cater for this but the costs for studying are much, much higher.

I'm moving to Hamburg in a few weeks and if I am unable to find work within a few months was considering studying again, and would relish the challenge of doing so in German!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing mate.
tor
Thanks for all the help you all, going to get someone to help me read through some things and hopefully it will all work out.
if you want me to help you, let me know.
jpp888
First off, I would suggest against moving to Germany if you don't intend to learn German. You will not be able to assimilate into the culture and you will be viewed by all the locals as extremely arrogant for expecting them to cater to you and speak English. Imagine moving to Louisville and demanding that everone speak Chinese to you. I cannot imagine you would be well recieved. The same is true here, be it in Hamburg or Dresden.

Secondly, in Germany universities teach in German (the country's official language). University education is free of tuition fees in most German states and so the question is why should Germans' pay taxes so that foreigners who refuse to integrate can come and study free of charge in a foreign language? I can imagine the uproar if it turned out that a US state was giving out their citizens' tax money for establishing a no-cost, Spanish-speaking university catering to foreigners.

That being said, there are universities which teach courses in English. These are either private, pay-to-play universities (e.g. Jacobs University charges tuition up to €30,000/year) or public universities who have discovered that they can earn extra money by offering some programmes in English and thus charge foreigners tuition (as they are not allowed to charge for German programmes). Many of these programmes are only for graduate students though.

If you want to study in Germany you either need a lot of money (once you consider the fees, it will cost the same or more as studying at a university in the US) or you need to learn German. That is the hard reality.
KyleHawkins
JP888, Perhaps you should read more carefully before you post anything. Especially to a post that is 2 years old. Troll much?

Ryan is my husband. He is here because I am here working. He already lives in Germany and is taking German lessons. He is not some ignorant American wanting to come study in Germany in English.

That is the hard reality.
jpp888
I didnt mean for the post to wind people up. I just told the situation as it is: German universities dont teach in English except at private, for-profit universities. These forums are full of people who come to work in Germany and refuse to integrate. My company has just fired 4 highly-educated Americans and 3 Chinese who all had a PhD because they couldn't communicate in German after living and working here for 2 years. I was trying to simply say that integration is the key to living anywhere and expecting locals (be it the university, Ausländerbehörde or your work) to cater to you in your language would be futile and arrogant. It was a tip for anyone who has or is considering moving abroad. You can take it as you want, but I didnt mean for it to start an argument.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.