Legality of abortion in Germany

And advice on the procedures to follow

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Opus
If this legal in Germany and Bavaria? If yes then what are the procedures that need to be followed?
alimess
No it is not legal but tolerated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Germany
Darkknight
Abortion? Legal? In god loving Germany and Super God loving Bavaria.. Yeah Right...
miwild
GERMAN CONSTITUTIONAL COURT ABORTION DECISION ...
Lavender Rain
Have you tried seeking assistance regarding answers for your questions about abortion from a health care professional, such as a gynecologist?
alimess
The first step as LR mentioned would be to seek advice from a professional.

Good luck!
Katrina
You can also go to ProFamilia, the German equivalent of Planned Parenthood. Although, the name may make you think that they are anti-abortion, they will give advice, support and medical assistance, including having a self-help group for those post-decision.
They are a charity, all advice is confidential and you may find help in English too. They are also able to give the required certificate (PDF!) for those wishing to proceed with an abortion, but remember that the limit is very tight in Bavaria (up to 12 week of pregnancy, which due to calculation method could mean up to 14 weeks).

ProFamilia München-Schwabing
Türkenstr. 103, 80799 München
Tel: 089-330084-0
Fax: 089-330084-16
E-Mail: muenchen-schwabing@profamilia.de
Open: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 9.00am-1.00am and Mon 2pm-6pm
Tues, Weds, Thurs 2pm-5pm
"Open House" - see a doctor with no appointment necessary - Mon 4-7pm
Otherwise, please call for an appointment.

ProFamilia information in English

Good luck.
Carm
thanks Katrina, I knew the info was somewhere here on TT.
Opus
Katrina, Thanks for all the information. Very helpful to some one who needed it without delay.
rmchacon
Does anybody know what is the status of abortion and the procedure in NRW? Cologne? Specially with the legality of the abortion pill?
What is this three day procedure? counseling? This is all too confusing!
ANY help is appreciated!
bluebell16
To be honest, I'm not sure. There are, however, three Pro Familia clinics in Cologne.

According to good ol' Wikipedia, the abortion pill (RU-486) is perfectly legal, but must be taken before the ninth week of pregnancy. This means it's not used as often because of the hoops you've got to jump through.
Source

I don't know if it's an option for you, but what about the Netherlands?
Source

I hope someone is able to give you more precise information soon.

All the best.
Jeanie
If by abortion pill, you mean the morning-after pill ("Die Pille danach"), it can be had from your Frauenarzt. The three-day thing is the amount of time you have to take it after having unprotected sex (accidental or otherwise) in order for it to be effective. They are likely to ask you to do a pregnancy test, which, according to another thread I read on here once, is simply to ensure that you weren't already pregnant beforehand.

Here are some of the previous threads on the morning-after pill in Germany
Gillian L
Does anybody know what is the status of abortion and the procedure in NRW? Cologne? Specially with the legality of the abortion pill?
What is this three day procedure? counseling? This is all too confusing!
ANY help is appreciated!
Hi, I very much doubt you mean the morning after pill (which can be taken up to 72 days after intercourse).

I know the abortion pill is used in the UK, but I didn't think it was used here. Supposedly not as safe as a proper abortion. Mind you, my info comes from accompanying an Irish friend to Germany nearly 10 years ago.

Three day waiting time: You need to get advice/information/counselling, I think from an ordinary GP, before you can go ahead with the procedure. You are supposed to have time to think about your decision, hence the 3 day waiting period. So the GP will have to give you a document to say you've had the 'counselling'. And three days later you can go ahead with it.

Legal in Germany up to 12 weeks into the pregnancy. In Britain it's a lot later, as far as I remember.
Katrina
Hi, I very much doubt you mean the morning after pill (which can be taken up to 72 days after intercourse)
HOURS, not days!
Gillian L
HOURS, not days!
wow, thank you, I didn't notice I'd written that (obviously). 3 days, 72 hours, indeed!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.