Studying at one of the Munich universities

Various general information and advice

ucitian
Hi

is there any one who can let me know about the education prospects in Munich specially about the Munich University and its admission criteria for international students... I am intrested in getting my M.S (computing) done from some top class german state/public university. I am intrested in Munich and thats why i want to know more about it... like:

do they offer m.s courses in english language?

what is the german language requirement of munich university?

how much does it cost for an international student to live in munich?

what admission criteria do they follow?

where does munich university stand among other universities in germany?

I would highly appreciate your replies to this topic as ur replies may help hundreds of people seeking admission in Germany and especially Munich.
Keydeck
This site might be of help to you. It's for the Technical University of Munich

http://www.iz.hr.tu-muenchen.de/beratung/index_en.tuml

The search facility is also pretty good to find related documents.

Then for the LMU (Ludwig Maximilian's University) you should check out the following:

http://www.uni-muenchen.de/conman/index.cfm?path=1077

Good luck.
karambos
Hi there ucitian,

I am english and presently studying Informatik at the technical university of Munich.

I have written an article on this topic already for the university of Newcastle in England. You can find it here: Leeds Uni vs. Munich Uni (TU) comparison

In summary, as short answers to your questions I can offer the following.

DO THEY OFFER M.S COURSES IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE?
Yes they do. In fact I know several people doing M.Sc's at the TU Munich and quite a few of them don't speak any german at all. As far as I'm aware, it's all done in english in an attempt to lure foreign students.

WHAT IS THE GERMAN LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT OF MUNICH UNIVERSITY?
For undergraduate studies it's a must. You have to show proof of your german skills to intermediate level by doing a course to that level either at the Goethe Institute or at the University itself which offer a course specially for that.

However, for postgrads it's not necessary.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TO LIVE IN MUNICH?
How long is a piece of string? As a rule anything from 150 Euro for a shared flat. THere's no upper limit. Normally I would say around 200-300 Euro. I don't know I own my flat and have done for several years so thankfully I've never had to look for accommodation in Munich. BE WARNED - accommodation in Munich is in HIGH demand. It's hard to find decent digs here.

WHAT ADMISSION CRITERIA DO THEY FOLLOW?
Depends what you want to do. This is such a general question I recommend you ask them yourself.

WHERE DOES MUNICH UNIVERSITY STAND AMONG OTHER UNIVERSITIES IN GERMANY?
Apparently, it's one of the best. However, I personally have never done any comparison because I never had any intention of studying anywhere else. Everything I know is gathered from hearsay and most of that from student already at the university. Obviously, they're going to be biased
giodippolito
Hey. I moved to Munich first to learn german. And now i want to do Informatic or something like that, at LMU, TUM, or whatever is it called...
any incoming information is welcome..what i know is that before the course, i have to do the studienkolleg, because i just finished the high school in brazil, and left to munich.So i don´t have the abitur. And to do the studienkolleg i need to do a test of german and i think maths also...
i am here for a year already, so now my parents are doing a bit of pressure for me to try it soon, even thought i cant try it more then twice(thats another think i dont understand, why are german school so strict? maybe on the first time i am not ready, and on the second one i was feeling very bad, sick, or somthing, then its just over...what a shit)...anyway...
what else can i know? i dont know anything about the schedule, like, does the classes take all day long? would i still have time to work? is it too hard??
i hope i can make it
so any help welcome! =)
thanks

Topics merged by admin
Freising
According to this webpage, which you probably know, Studienkolleg lasts 34 hours a week. No I dont think you will be able to work, except on weekends or holidays. There is more helpful information there too.
RoomWithAMoose
For 'Informatik' you should rather turn to the 'Technische Universität' (TU), for the LMU is more adequate for language and sophisticated matters. They're very good for biology, medicine and chemistry, too. You can visit the 'Mathematik-Informatik Fakultät' TU during the week, however there's not much on schedule since it's semester holidays. The semester starts on 14.4.08, you can then peep in for some lectures. You might aswell contact the 'Fachschaft Informatik' (students council for Informatics), asking them for help. I bet there are also ppl studying there who actually speak your native language.

Fachschaft Informatik
TU Fakultät für Informatik

cheers
giodippolito
*FREAKING OUT*
kathie
Assuming you were ill during one of your attempts, you would be allowed to take it again if you had a doctor's note... I have a friend from Brazil who went to the Studienkolleg in Cologne, she seemed to like it, but her german was quite good. Timewise, it was like being back at school - she was there from about 9-4 every day...
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.