Rude gestures, fingers up and such like - Germany

Typically German ones and their meanings

Pages: 1 2 3

featherlight
How do Germans make rude gestures? Are they rude enough to even think of doing so?? Do they stick two fingers up? One finger (which one?), do a bras d'honneur? Is it true it is an offense to make such gestures? If so, what is the German technical term (police language)?
sunshine_jones
if you get caught making the middle finger up by a police office you can be fined 1000 euro.
to fingers (index and middle) is, i believe, purely an english thing
i dont know any other gestures but can ask my boyfriend if you really like (he's german)
featherlight
My adolescent neighbour was obviously doing something insulting when I had my back to him. His granny was remonstrating loudly (if unconvincingly) with him telling him to stop and when I looked round she was holding his wrists down, fighting with him... I am not paranoid incidentally. This has happened before and I have seen the expression on my daughter's face when she could see and I couldn't (daughter too small to ask what he was doing). Read my previous post about getting reported to the Sozialamt by my lovely neighbours and you will understand why I am going to be down the copshop as soon as I have anything, no matter how small, to get these idiots on.
Eleanor Rigby
I don't think you can take "I'm sure he was making a rude sign behind my back" to the police and expect to get anything out of it.
featherlight
Right. Which is why I want to know what he would have been doing so I can say I actually saw him. I did not drop off a banana boat yesterday and these guys deserve to be nuked.
Eleanor Rigby
maybe not but then you'd be lying to the police and if you didn't drop off a banana boat yesterday, you'd know that's illegal and could be considered a worse offense than making rude gestures.
featherlight
So Eleonor, or anyone else so inclined, please advise me further. The demented (his parents describe him as lively) adolescent in question has deprived us of much sleep over the last decade owing to extreme and unnecessary noise at all times of the day and night. We have had our house soiled twice with eggs and tomato sauce, not that there is any proof it is him - apart from the banana boat thing. The Granny (again no proof) reported US to the Social Services when my daughter hit two and had a few tantrums. The noise at night has much improved after I reported them to the police (who told me that I had to list every squeak and bump if I wanted to make an official complaint). However, my daughter still is woken regularly at 1 or 2 in the morning when the idiot gallops up the stairs, bangs around the bathroom and throws himself into bed (yeah, that is an improvement on the previous state of affairs). Relations with his family are - unsurprisingly - at a miserable impasse. We are past talking to them. We are often not in Munich so making lists, apart from life being too short for such stuff, would not give an accurate picture of their antics. I just want to nail them with something. Anything, We do not intend to move for other reasons. So any advice on what I can legally do?
SpiderPig
10 Years??

Why the hell didnt you move and give yourself a chance?
LittleSprite
Buy earplugs?

What makes you think that trying to "nail them" for things they haven't done and that you can't prove is going to improve the situation?
featherlight
Earplugs for my 2-year-old?

I would like to show them that enough is enough.
featherlight
Earplugs for my 2-year-old?

I would like to show them that enough is enough.

How would you improve this hopeless situation? And don't just say move.
Eleanor Rigby
Seriously I can't even believe you're considering this.

Even if you swear up and down to the police that this kid made some rude gesture to you, it'll still be his (and his Grandmother's) word against yours. They're not going to charge him without evidence and since the whole thing is based on a lie, there's a better chance that you'll get in trouble than them. What if they or someone they know reads this forum? You've given enough details about yourself and the situation that you wouldn't be hard to identify.

What would I do in your situation? I'd try my best to make nice, it's a little more than coincidental that you don't get along with both of your neighbours, there does seem to be a common denominator here.
LittleSprite
How would you improve this hopeless situation? And don't just say move.
Why not? It seems to be the only sensible solution, like it or not. Unless you're happy to waste your time and nerves on a pointless feud that is.
featherlight
Thanks.

There is a decade of baggage here. I am at the end of my tether. Just make nice, eh?
Eleanor Rigby
I also happen to know a few cops who also frequent the forum, what if they happen to be the officers you bring this false claim to?
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.