Birth control pills (contraceptives) - Germany

How to get them and where etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

jtl
Hi,

I come from Canada and am living with my German boyfriend right now. I don´t have german health insurance, so I´m wondering where I can get some birth control pills...
can I buy them online without prescription?
Moonboot
am not sure you can get BC pills without prescription. rather you should pay to go see a gynaecologist to prescribe the correct BC pills for you. or just use condoms for the time being?

here's an online pharmacy.
CanadianGal
You can't get them in Germany without a prescription, but if you find a gynecologist then he/she can give you a prescription, and in terms of paying it shouldn't be a problem. You just get the prescription, take it to the pharmacy and rather than sending the bill into your insurance company you just pay in your own cash. It's about 30 euros for three months worth.
sarabyrd
Health insurance does not cover contraceptives in Germany, you always pay for them yourself.
Katrina
Incorrect sarabyrd. The pill costs are covered if you are aged 20 or less (but other charges may apply) or it is used as a medical treatment (no, not getting pregnant doesn't count). Source for cost info: ProFamilia
And they, as the German equivalent of Planned Parenthood, can also give you access to contraception. ProFamilia in English
sarabyrd
It's been a while since I was 20, mea culpa.
Dotty
I get an injection that lasts for 3 months - it cost me €30. I got a perscription from my (all the medicine) doctor. Anyone know if we can claim these costs back from tax? I know the tax guy we saw said we could claim back health insurance but I don't know about perscriptions?
Bec22
Don't know if you are in a position to do this, but the cheapest thing I have found is getting my mum to get them for me in Australia and mail them over! I thought that it may be questioned at the post office, but she declared what it was and there was no problems! Much easier for me then going through all the hassle and expense here!
alimess
You should go to a gynecologist here and have them prescribed. You will pay for the consultation and for the pill. I remember having to pay for consultations here coz I was not covered ( just visiting the then BF). Anyway should not be too big of a problem.
Mik Dickinson
My wife got a years supply from the family planning clinic in Engalnd before she came over here.After that we had to pay.Yes you can write some medical costs off on your tax.However you have to be prepared to pay 1% of your gross earnings on your health.
Purple Muffin
Don't know if you are in a position to do this, but the cheapest thing I have found is getting my mum to get them for me in Australia and mail them over! I thought that it may be questioned at the post office, but she declared what it was and there was no problems! Much easier for me then going through all the hassle and expense here!
My wife got a years supply from the family planning clinic in Engalnd before she came over here.After that we had to pay.Yes you can write some medical costs off on your tax.However you have to be prepared to pay 1% of your gross earnings on your health.
IT is all well and good doing that but what are you/your wife doing in the meantime for smear/cervical cancer test etc? The easiest thing to do is go the the gyno every 6 months for the regular smear checkup and get her to give you a prescription for 6 months worth - it is no real hassle at all and it is in your own interest. A 6 month prescription is also a lot cheaper - only about 45€ if I recall correctly. That is hardly a lot of money.
UrbanAngel
In the UK the smear test is once every 3 years anyway... not every 6 mths like in Deutschland.
Mariposa
Birth control is OTC in Spain so maybe it would be fun to go to a Spain for a weekend (preferably to a city that you can get to with Ryanair etc.) and stock up on it.

IT is all well and good doing that but what are you/your wife doing in the meantime for smear/cervical cancer test etc? The easiest thing to do is go the the gyno every 6 months for the regular smear checkup and get her to give you a prescription for 6 months worth - it is no real hassle at all and it is in your own interest. A 6 month prescription is also a lot cheaper - only about 45€ if I recall correctly. That is hardly a lot of money.
Yeah that is what I do usually, but my BC costs around €65 for 6 months. And I haven't had a chance to go to the doctor in Germany in the past year (last time was in March 07) so I've been buying it here for the past few months until I get back to Germany in a couple of months. The price is the same here as in Germany and I save the Praxisgebühr as it is OTC.
Purple Muffin
In the UK the smear test is once every 3 years anyway... not every 6 mths like in Deutschland.
Yes I know and that does worry me a little. So cancerous cells could be in my body for up to 3 years before I know? Hmm I know what I'd rather do every 6 months...
islandchick
This is a bit off the topic, but I would appreciate a bit of advice please...

I had some birth control fitted before I left England and think something's a bit off. Should I go to a GP first, like I would in the UK (who would then recommend me to a gyno), or should I go straight to the gyno here? I'm getting a bit worried now and would really appreciate any help. Cheers!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.