How to meet other young people in Berlin

Advice on building a social life here

Pages: 1 2 3 4

dominique_101
Swear it is so hard to meet younger people here. Germans are anti social.
Get back if you've been having trouble.
norwegianstudent
Well, it´s always easier to get in touch with foreigners. Sign up to a language course with young people, and you´ll probably meet some. Find the student organizations on internet, and check out when and where they arrange parties (it´s usually on bars/clubs and open for everyone). It should be easy to get in touch with anyone when the beer is floating. Just exchange numbers, and you have got something going.

If you want to hang out with the locals (as you should to learn the language and culture) find yourself a sprachtandem...if you´r lucky that could be your ticket into a new world of german partying. Because they are not really anti social once you get to know them, the Germans...so don´t give up yet:)
FirstCitizen
Yeah I wouldn't say Germans are anti social at all, they may be a lot of things, but antisocial aint one of them. Some Berliners (especially the ex Ossies/easterners) don't like to hear or speak English), so you do need to try and learn the language. My advice: join a course at the VHS (Volkshochschule), it's the government funded school where foreigners can get cheap Deutsch lessons.
Good luck!
chicacherrycola
Oh thank god i thought it was just me!
I joined a language school but it was hard to hang to people you met there if you are here for the long term because they were only visiting for a few weeks.
Its also not particulary easy if you dont have the confidence to go to a place where you know no one at all on your own. In fact its pretty terrifying!
I have 2 tandems who are lovely, the TU website is good for finding people to practise your language with (always lots wanting to practise english ) http://www2.tu-berlin.de/fak1/skb/deutsch/gerindex.html in the search box go to german this brings up a list of people offering german then have a read through the list and pick out the ones looking for english in return.
norwegianstudent
Its also not particulary easy if you dont have the confidence to go to a place where you know no one at all on your own. In fact its pretty terrifying!
That´s so true, I made it sound so easy but probably wouldn´t dare myself:)
matthewsmith
It's true about Ossis, you can't generalize but I have found west Germans to be more friendly and outgoing towards English speakers. If you live alone, getting into a WG for a few months instead can be a good way of getting to know Germans and learning the language.
London Lad
Raving and ecstasy. The club scene in berlin is currently the best in Europe and meeting people this way is very easy. Of course you'll need to like techno and taking little pills that make you feel nice!
matthewsmith
That's 6 responses and some constructive ideas.- No offence or anything, but how about a 'thankyou' domnique? if you're finding people aren't warming to you - you you know good manners can sometimes help.
Berlinerin
I am German and I was born in East Germany but i don't have trouble to speak or listen to English speaking people. The thing is, that people didn't have to learn English in East Germany for a long time.
What is meant by young people? I mean I was the first one in my family to have English at school instead of Russian.

But I have to admit that it can be hard to get to know some German. When I was in the US I got to know so many people, bevause everybody came up to me and talkes to me. But Germans are usually not that way. Except for when we're drunk.

But the Tandem thing at university is really a good thing if you want to get to know other people.
HankMoody
Back home, how many non-english speaking expats do you hang out with?? supposing you know a second language..
Belloc
But I have to admit that it can be hard to get to know some German. When I was in the US I got to know so many people, bevause everybody came up to me and talkes to me. But Germans are usually not that way. Except for when we're drunk.
surprisingly it was the same with me. In the west coast just walking the streets in the morning people would stop and go "good morning"... I was speechless I mean even in my hometown if go around greeting complete strangers you will most likely get insulted.

As far as germans go I've had a bunch come up at me and start saying something but when I reply sprechte spanische englische? they just fuck off
so yeah I suppose you need to know german fluently to get along with people here but then again if you chose berlin to come and live and expect to go by without learning german it's kinda retarded
drock1120
I find it hard to meet and socialize with people as well. Im from New York. People are friendly out here, but it seems they just keep the friendliness at work. I would love to meet people for the night life out here. I have been living in Berlin for a year and have yet to go to some clubs or experience some fun things. I wold love to see a new side to Berlin I havent experienced, so far all I been able to do is go to parks, German/American fair and things like that. I even took one Deutsch class, and my new one starts may 1st. Any ideas anyone?
Blue Cow
it not just you young ones that find it hard as I've been here 2 years now and still have these problems maybe its me i don't know
as i tried a Toytown meet up but found the people a bit odd due to them having work and can afford to go out and where not really intouch with the problems that out of work and not speaking German problems i and others have
plus they aways seem to meet up in some posh bar in princelovieburg which i find strange for me
Berlinerin
You know, I went to one of the Toytown meetings and first I really dind't know what to say. Because I didn't know anyone. So what to talk about.?! I found it really hard, to tell the truth.
I mean usually you meet someone at work or maybe at college. Then you have a situation to talk about or maybe just ask someone about something you dind't understand. And you get to know this person and after some time, you can talk about everything.

But I love getting to know people!
eurovol
If you were American, I would have said to get in touch with the Berlin group of Young Democrats Abroad. Actually, I would say do that anyway as they are young, they are Democratically minded and it is not verboten to do so!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.