Okay lessons we as Americans (and those who know us) need to learn.
1. They DO NOT Take VISA: and they do not care it’s the only form of money you have and further more they do not understand why anyone would put a euro twenty on a card at McDonalds. Learn to bring cash!
2. Not Everyone Speaks English. I am aware that in the USA they tell you that every where in the world they speak English but really. Not everyone speaks English...
3. YOU as an American are not special or thought of as cool for being one. In fact just the opposite they see Americans as loud and obnoxious... so in fact you mother lied you are not special more so in Germany.
4. Not all people who look Middle Eastern are Terrorist. So try to resist the urge to stare or panic when you see one.
5. The majority of the people of "Color" are actually African. Really! Try not to break out in a mass of Ebonics.
6. Learn your address and phone number in German! In English it will not help you!
7. Please try not to dress like an American, Look around you. You look strange and are drawing attention to yourself. That neon tri colored shirt with matching tights and swag boots are not in fashion here, the girl at Wal-Mart was wrong it is not on Paris runways!! It screams American. I swear, look around you a bit ;you do not have to change your style but at least try to blend in just a bit.
8. Do not carry your passport everywhere you go. Read the Embassy website; make a copy. leave you passport in a safe place. Unless you are traveling.
9. Learn your geography. And that the USA is not the center of the world.
10. There is a huge difference between American English and British English if you do not know the word you just heard (and all of its meanings) don’t repeat it!
11. There is no Wal-Mart in Germany. if you need a cooking spoon go to the kitchen store, a sewing needle go to a sewing store sometimes you will find it all at a grocery store, they do not believe in one stop shopping here.. And more likely than not they also do not take Visa!
12. The large billboard of the two naked people is not porn it’s an advertisement please try not to stare or get out your magic marker. You will also see this in the newspaper. Get ready
13. Yes they trust that you have bought a train ticket right up until the point where you get caught. They have a great amount of trust try not to blow it for the rest of us.
14. If you trip down a large hole that they left un-covered without signs there is no one to sue. In Germany they expect you to know better. So watch what you’re doing.
15. Pedestrians do not have the right of way, if you get hit by a car on the red man, you can not sue them and more so it is your fault.
16. Never laugh at a German who is trying to speak English to you! They will never speak English to you again, and then you are in trouble.
17. If you tease taunt or in any way insult one of the many foreigners around you they will more than likely knock you teeth out. Leave the foreigners alone.
18. Never eat a Mexican burrito at the Christmas market. Seems like a great Idea and exciting to see but really you are in Germany now. German/mex is a strange combination.
19. Our Dramatics annoy the Germans; try to refrain from tears-screaming-and basically all emotion.
Okay come on let us help out the fellow Americans who are struggling. What have I forgotten??