Problems configuring a Speedport W700V router - Germany

Advice on setting up wireless Internet connection

danpablo
Hi everybody. This will be my first post so please be gentle!
I received a new router from T-Com (Speedport W700V). I connected it as per the instructions and get internet via network cable just fine. However, I have a laptop I want to run wirelessly but although it picks up the wireless signal of the new router (as well as my previous connection and several of the neighbours'!), it won't let me online on either of my connections. Both ask for a password - my original password isn't being recognised and I don't seem to have received any password details from T-Com at all. I have tried to configure the router via 192.168.2.1 but I either get the "unable to display page" message, or the results of a search. What am I doing wrong??? The instructions (in German - I can "Deutsch" but not on a technical level) say something about Proxy settings (which I know nothing about)... Any suggestions would be gratefully received!
DaBills
Just a newbie myself...in your Netzwerk / Wireless LAN (WLAN) area make sure your Übertragungsmodus is set at either g or b not the b+g(mixed). If not follow this link for cable users in my area..just add your info in the t-online option on page 3 of the pdf...

http://www.tkscable.com/files/downloads/in...edportW700V.pdf
pootle
Did you set a a WEP or WPA key in your router?

Thats probably the password its asking for
danpablo
Brilliant - thanks a lot! I will give the pdf a go.
Pootle - got an encryption key on the back of the router - is that what you mean? Or is it a number I should have input myself?
pootle
its the number / string you should have put in yourself
YorkshireLad6
There should be a sticker on the back of the router:
Attached image
Unless anyone has changed the settings in the router your PC should be able to see the wireless network shown under the "SSID" field. When you attempt to connect to this the network, the WPA password you need to enter is the "Encr. Key" at the bottom of the sticker. If anyone has changed these settings from their default values then you'll need to change them yourself (to anything you wish) to be able to join the wireless network. You do this by logging in and configuring the router as described earlier.
danpablo
Nice one - thanks
FenderBass
There should be a sticker on the back of the router:
Attached image
Unless anyone has changed the settings in the router your PC should be able to see the wireless network shown under the "SSID" field. When you attempt to connect to this the network, the WPA password you need to enter is the "Encr. Key" at the bottom of the sticker. If anyone has changed these settings from their default values then you'll need to change them yourself (to anything you wish) to be able to join the wireless network. You do this by logging in and configuring the router as described earlier.
Thanks a lot for that info, YorkshireLad6 .

I had to go through all of this when I installed my W700V a year or so ago. Last week, I got a new laptop and had to go through it all again, having forgotten what "magic" I'd weaved previously to get the damn thing to work. I too couldn't figure out which numbers and passwords the system was asking me for - thanks to this post, I got it working again!

More importantly, it was the Google search for this information which lead me to find TT - a website that I could have really benefitted from when I came to live in Hannover, 5 years ago . Oh well, I've found it now!

All the best,

Andy
YorkshireLad6
Thanks a lot for that info, YorkshireLad6
That's what we're here for. It's nice to see thanks once in a while, so thanks to you for that too.
mo1dubb
Hello everyone,

First time at this also. I am currently using the Speedport W700V DSL modem/wireless router, but I chose to purchase the Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router to increase my "wireless zone". I am unsuccessful in connecting wirelessly to my new Netgear router. Is there a feature with the Speedport that needs to be turned off so I can use a "third party" router with it. If so, what do I need to do to successfully connect the Netgear router to the Speedport DSL Modem/Wireless router?

Tks~
Michael
YorkshireLad6
You are trying to connect a router to a router? That's a no-go, unless you understand how to set up routing tables in each device.
Some routers allow you to turn off the routing function or to allow PPPoE passthru, but the W700V is not one of them.

If you really want to use the Netgear then you need a basic ADSL modem to replace the W700V with, or buy a router with built-in modem, unless of course you have a "RangeMax [Dualband] Wireless-N 300 ADSL2+ Modemrouter" which is just one such beast.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.