English equivalents of "Am Arsch" - Germany

Ideas on translating this German slang

Pages: 1 2

lilplatinum
Whats does "Am Arsch" equate to for english slang?
Owain Glyndwr
broken.

unless the sentence is "am Arsch der Welt" in which case it means the back of beyond. or "es geht mir am Arsch vorbei" which means i couldn't give a toss.
zee
es geht mir am arsch vorbei = I give a damned shit
Owain Glyndwr
no it doesn't. it means i could NOT give a shit. see post above.
fRe4k
If the phrase that you posted is the total thing, then I suppose it should be "Im Arsch" or something like that. It probably means "Fucked up" or "Messed Up".

Otherwise, if its part of "Leck Mich Am Arsch", then it is something like "Kiss My Ass". (It might mean something else too, depending on the context).
amasango
Nice one! You guys just gave me an idea for a new podcast with the theme word "Arsch". There are so many colloquial and slang expressions that refer to one's rear end. Another one that comes to mind is "Mein Arsch geht auf Grundeis" - "I'm shitting bricks". If you're keen on colloquial German, idioms and slang, check out our podcast at http://pukkagerman.com

Cheers,
Tyler
Gen
Don't forget ol' Götz von Berlichingen...
tiexano
It’s also used as negating reply.

-"Du bezahlst mir das!"
-"Am Arsch!"

Same usage as the British "My Arse!"
osmachar
if you mean 'am Arsch = broken' I would just say 'fucked' or 'kaputt' or 'done' ...
Ruthie
Could you say "Ich bin am Arsch" to mean "I'm screwed"?

"Am Arsch der Welt" the military guys I know would translate to "BFE", or more nicely, "out in the boonies"
gaberlunzi
Ich bin am Arsch = speechless! had's da d'Stimm vaschlagn! da sitz di nieda. This is for the Bavarian residents only :-)
Owain Glyndwr
Could you say "Ich bin am Arsch" to mean "I'm screwed"?
yes.
pog451
"Am Arsch der Welt" the military guys I know would translate to "BFE", or more nicely, "out in the boonies"
A pretty standard equivalent is "JWD" (yot vay day) or "Janz weit draussen". "Janz" for "ganz"is pseudo-Berlin slang.

For more emphasis:- "Am arsch der Welt vorbei und links"

andy M
toko
Ich bin im Arsch = I'm tired
Ich bin am Arsch = I'm screwed

Am Arsch! (reply) = No way.
eurovol
That is what I was thinking, ie up shit creek without a paddle. That is the way that I have heard it used the most.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.