The best districts to live in Munich

Advice on choosing an area to call home

Pages: 1 2 3 4

AUSPete
Hi All,

I am an Australian Engineer who has been working in England and Germany for the past 12 months (the last 6 near Bonn). I have just accepted a new posting near Pasing in the west of Munich. I have been there twice before and it didn't look like a bad place to live, but it is not exactly what I am looking for. Can anyone help me form a short list of places to check out when I arrive?

I am looking for...

1) Somewhere very quiet
2) High average income (i.e. nice houses/apartment buildings and no problem parking a nice car on the street, yes I realise that Munich is not Newcastle )
3) Not many foreigners (not that I don't like my fellow Australians and I do love a good Döner but I would rather live with Germans while in Germany)
4) Good transport to Hbf and Pasing (transport to Hbf is more important than Pasing as don't know where my GF will work when she joins me in a few months)
5) An area close to the Englische Garten would be great.
6) A central area would be a plus...
7) ...but not if it is invaded by drunk Italians/Americans/Brits/Aussies every September.
8) Price does not matter so much

Thanks for your help
Eleanor Rigby
Bogenhausen.
sickboy
I'd go for some nice altbau building in haidhausen...
NOFXmike
Oberschleissheim
BattalionBoy
The nicest class of Germans live in Grunwald, they are very friendly and it is also very quiet there. You will need a car though.
Why do you have to be near the Englische Garten?
AUSPete
I just thought that the Englische Garten was a nice place to run ect. last time I was in Munich. To be honest though, I have not seen much of the city so maybe there are better.
BattalionBoy
Grunwald has lots of forests to run in and no traffic fumes (in the forests).
thefirelane
I just thought that the Englische Garten was a nice place to run ect.
It is. Especially for long distance running! The park itself is quite big, but also there is a foot/bike path that goes up the Isar all the way to Freising. You could easily take the S-bahn out and then run a full marathon back home.
Beckita72
Bogenhausen is perfect. Very near the park, nice, professional area, and we NEVER have to worry about parking. It's ideal. Near the city, about 6 mins by tram. I run as well, and I love running in the area, and through the park from here.
Joe
Er given you will be working in Pasing how about Pasing, Laim or Obermenzing.
If you want something more central Laim is good.

Bogenhausen is not really a good option for you since you have to cross the entire city, also price wise its not cheaper and actually many parts of it are not that well connected transportwise. Laim/Pasing/Obermenzing are relatively cheap. If you want to live out in the sticks then Aubing and Lochhausen would also be worth a look.
Eleanor Rigby
Did you miss this bit?

1) Somewhere very quiet
2) High average income (i.e. nice houses/apartment buildings and no problem parking a nice car on the street, yes I realise that Munich is not Newcastle )
3) Not many foreigners (not that I don't like my fellow Australians and I do love a good Döner but I would rather live with Germans while in Germany)
5) An area close to the Englische Garten would be great.
None of those areas really match any of the above criteria.
taiwanbabies
Bogenhausen does.
Owain Glyndwr
which is why ER suggested Bogenhausen.

If you live close to either Prinzeregentenplatz, Böhmerwald or Richard-Strauss-Straase Bahn stations, you can be in Pasing with only a 20-odd minute ride (Hauptbahnhof in only 10). The area between these stops is roughly what you are looking for; high income, German professionals; quiet green suburb with nice big houses and spacious apartments; street parking is not a problem but most places will have private parking.
Carm
another suggestion of Bogenhausen.
Close the the Garten, Ubahn to Hauptbahnhof is 10min, then 10 min Sbahn to Pasing, lots of green places, quiet, and parking is only a problem at Oktoberfest time at Arabellapark station.
Farley R
Münchner Freiheit.. next to the Garten, a few good Döner places, on the U/3-U/6, average to high income, it ticks all the boxes..
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.