Taking toy guns in airplane carry-on luggage

Is it allowed? Answer: Don't be a kent...

Pages: 1 2 3

kent
ok my wife who i believe is a little nieve purchased a toy six shooter cap gun thay is made out of metal and looks just like a real gun except for the red plastic cap in the barrel...we are traveling to vilnus luthuania aboard commercial aircraft. the toy is a gift for her 8yr old nephew she thinks she can bring it on carry on baggage... i told her if she does that she will be arrested right off and held for questioning...she does not believe me she thinks she just has to explain it is a toy HA i told her look it looks like a real gun and when it goes through the x-ray machine they will arrest her first and hold her for questioning she thinks if she just takes it out and shows them it is a toy she will get a pass i warned her the security will think she is lying that it is a fake gun and that it actually a real gun made up to look fake as they are all PARANOID freaks and they will straight off tackle her, hand cuff her and then arrest me for allowing my wife to be insane enough to think she could wave a fake gun around an airport security screen.
so how to transport the gift i suggested DHL or UPS as a safe alternative for this, she of course wants to save moey and carry the fake gun in our baggage.
thoughts...

kent
PES
You can not. They will take it. I know, as in Switzerland they took my son's present of a toy gun away.
Darkknight
Correct.. Security checkpoint are staffed by underpaid morons. As soon as it goes thru the X-Ray machine, she's going to get the Rubber Glove treatment.
Its best to pack it in your checked baggage. Some Airports even have signs up that state no toy guns in Hand baggage.

If she still insists that it will be OK, then post the Time/date of your trip so we can all come out and watch the fun...

Also check your airlines website... Many list Toy Cap guns as a big NO-NO in the "What not to bring", page..

What can't you take in your baggage? (dangerous goods)
explosives, fireworks, flares, toy gun caps, party poppers
Monarch Airlines

These items you may not take into the cabin:
# Fake weapons and items that may be used as weapons which can discharge a projectile
# False weapons
Lufthansa
eurovol
Put it in the checked baggage right on top so the inspectors don't have to dig for it when they in fact do open your luggage based on the xray machine. I made the mistake once of showing my pocket knife that fell out of the shoe as I had to adjust weight between two checked bags. I got put on a list and at every screening, I was pulled out of line for the rest of the trip. Waving a toy gun around can get you tasered or shot!
cabbagefairy
Why don't you take it in your check in luggage? AFAIK you can't take them onboard as you might try and use them to take over the plane etc and the people onboard don't know it is a toy.
Blackadder
Put it in the checked baggage right on top so the inspectors don't have to dig for it when they in fact do open your luggage based on the xray machine. I made the mistake once of showing my pocket knife that fell out of the shoe as I had to adjust weight between two checked bags. I got put on a list and at every screening, I was pulled out of line for the rest of the trip. Waving a toy gun around can get you tasered or shot!
Your quite sure that was the only reason ?
eurovol
If she still insists that it will be OK, then post the Time/date of your trip so we can all come out and watch the fun...
I can see it now:

Moronic lady: I have this gun, but it is a toy gun
Moron cop: put the weapon down
Moronic lady: but it is a toy gun
Moron cop: put the weapon down
Moron cop: put the weapon down now
Moron cop: put the weapon down and I am not going to ask you again
Moronic lady: see it is a toy gun (points at cop at makes pop sound)
Moron cop: bam, bam, bam (not playing with toy gun)

CNN: Suspected terrorist wielding a fake gun was killed today trying to board an airplane, story at 5.
kent
THANK YOU ALL for the instant replies i showed my wife how fast the reaction was and she was a little surprised at all the responses. as far as putting it in my checked baggage i will not do this no sense getting put on a watch list my life is complicated enough with out that hassle.
I am going to insist on spending a few euros to send the gift ahead along with the toy caps that go bang via DHL it was your replys that ended the argument and for once i can say i was right ooooohhh yeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!
KENT
eurovol
Your quite sure that was the only reason ?
In all my travels back and forth to the States and around Europe, that was the one and only time that I have ever been pulled out of line (that was KC and they did it again in Chicago on the same trip). I am pretty sure it was all about the pocket knife.
ThePigsInBlankets
I don't mean to be rude or jump salty, but beyond the fact that she thinks it would be appropriate to bring a toy gun on a plane, why on earth give a gun to an eight-year-old (toy or not), period? There are lots of awesome toys out there...but a toy gun?
Blackadder
In all my travels back and forth to the States and around Europe, that was the one and only time that I have ever been pulled out of line (that was KC and they did it again in Chicago on the same trip). I am pretty sure it was all about the pocket knife.
It was a joke !!
kent
she asked some little boys in the store what they wanted for a toy and they SCREAMED a gun a gun!! the other women with her kids replied ''they can never have enough guns '' and she is already buying the 8yr old a pair of cowboy boots he asked for... so i saw a sherrifs out fit on sale for 5 euros and and today she brought home the toy gun and a cowboy hat.
just to be fair i think we should get his four yr old sister a princess outfit or something since they have so many canivale costumes for sale here in munich and canivale is not celebrated in luthuania.
kent
BellyFlyer
THANK YOU ALL for the instant replies i showed my wife how fast the reaction was and she was a little surprised at all the responses. as far as putting it in my checked baggage i will not do this no sense getting put on a watch list my life is complicated enough with out that hassle.
I am going to insist on spending a few euros to send the gift ahead along with the toy caps that go bang via DHL it was your replys that ended the argument and for once i can say i was right ooooohhh yeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!
KENT
Don't rub it in. She'll remember and get you back when you least expect it.
cinzia
Just how is the 4-year-old supposed to defend herself against a gun-wielding 8-year-old cowboy in a princess getup?
DanHessen
I don't mean to be rude or jump salty, but beyond the fact that she thinks it would be appropriate to bring a toy gun on a plane, why on earth give a gun to an eight-year-old (toy or not), period? There are lots of awesome toys out there...but a toy gun?
Good point. Didn't they have any toy flame-throwers?
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.