Taking toy guns in airplane carry-on luggage

Is it allowed? Answer: Don't be a kent...

Pages: 1 2 3

poohsan
ah, years ago working on the Hanford reservation an employee brought in wrapped presents for the toys for tots program, little did he know there was a toy gun in there. Anyway, you have to put everything through an x-ray machine and the guy watching it announced "gun" and a second later several M16s were now aimed at him (no, they didn't shoot him). I'm sure he needed a fresh change after that though.
CopyWriter
Toy guns are how these guys are “tested,” not just by their bosses, but by the media who think a show exposing them as morons would get good ratings.

Even if they recognize it as a toy immediately, they're going to take every step possible to make your life hell for trying to “test” them.
coyote3000
I used to teach at an airport and would have to go through the airport security daily. What a pain. Sometimes the contents of my pencil case would be analyzed and then other days they wouldn't, but it was always the same people who presumably knew that I taught a class on the other side. One of the surlier security ladies never really spoke much when I would go through. Then one day I was a bit late, had my big teacher bag, a cd player and god knows what else. I probably looked stressed out and had already put everything metal, coins, keys and the like and my bag in the bin, put it on the belt and walked through the gate. The surly lady told me in a serious voice to look at the monitor and explain what was in my bag. There was an ex-ray of what was clearly my bag with a black silhouette of a gun in the middle of the bag. I just about passed out and stammered that I didn't know how that got there. Then she started to laugh in a deep throaty smokers' voice, pressed a button and the gun disappeared. I have no idea if they can add those kind of things to the image at will or if they randomly appear or what. But it definitely scared the crap out of me. Everyone at security was really friendly to me after that. Maybe it was their idea of an ice-breaker. Who knows, but I can't imagine that anyone would be stupid enough to bring a toy weapon on an airplane in this day and age though.
Zebidee
From the online specs of the Westminster International model WG IS 7858 X-Ray Baggage Scanner:

Recommended Options

* Threat Image Projection (TIP) this randomly inserts artificial but realistic x-ray images during the routine baggage x-ray screening operation, When the scanner is in operation scanning a person's luggage and packages the TIP software will occasionally insert a suspicious item i.e. explosive, gun or knife into the scanned image of the item presently passing through the machine if the operator acknowledges the presence of the item, the programme will tell them it is merely a TIP image; if they miss the item the programme will record this against their login, each operator will have an individual logon. The administrator can change the random frequency of the TIP image insertions' i.e. every 10, 20, 30, 60 items etc passing through the scanner. The TIP programme has a large library of suspicious images that it selects randomly from. At the end of the day / shift the administrator can check the efficiency of the individual operators. TIP is an excellent training and quality tool for continuously assessing individual operator performance.

My God, I'd have a frickin' heart attack if I saw that stuff on my bag scan! Makes almost as much sense as when thy train their sniffer dogs by planting real drugs or explosives in bags and then lose them.
NewFromOz
I have been pulled into a small room but heavily armed men and searched/questioned - simply because they found a nail file in my carry-on baggage. That was in Switzerland in 2001.

You'd have to be out of your mind to think about taking a toy gun on a plane!
Carl46
kent, you've answered your own question. It's not worth the risk. Either ship it or just by another one when you get to where you're going. Anyway, you'll spend less money shipping it, than trying to pay for a lawyer or some type of fee to get you out of jail. Just my thoughts.
Lorelei
This thread is almost three years old. The 8-year-old boy who was given a replica hand gun will probably be wanting a real firearm by now.
Triumph
Then she started to laugh in a deep throaty smokers' voice, pressed a button and the gun disappeared. I have no idea if they can add those kind of things to the image at will or if they randomly appear or what. But it definitely scared the crap out of me. Everyone at security was really friendly to me after that. Maybe it was their idea of an ice-breaker.
Had a similar experience at the french customs at the chunnel once. It was the middle of the night and quiet, got pulled into the inspection bay whilst they gave the car a going over. Then they called me over and asked what was that hidden in the spare tyre on the back of the 4x4. I looked, it was a revolver....that they had hidden there for a laugh. Luckily I spotted that one of them had an empty holster. Uneasy laughter followed and they let me go....

Bloody strange way to have a bit of fun if you ask me....Luckily I don't spook so easily...
Lorelei
They deserved to be reported for that. It's not as if security staff usually see the funny side if a passenger jokes that they have a bomb in their luggage.
Triumph
They were French, which is enough punishment I think ;-p
Carl46
This thread is almost three years old. The 8-year-old boy who was given a replica hand gun will probably be wanting a real firearm by now.
Lorelei, I didn't even look at the date of when the thread originated. I've been away from Toytown too long. Thanks for pointing this out.
rodisi
If someone had started a new thread regarding toy guns and airports, someone would have been all over his/her arse saying that it's been discussed before.

As it is here, it reminds me of when I took my two boys and wife to Heathrow airport. As they were walking into security, my wife noticed that they had their real looking toy guns with them. She took them away from them and came back and gave them to me. So now here is this shifty Mediterranean looking character holding two guns. Luckily, I was wearing a jacket even though it was short and of thin leather. I managed to get out of the airport even with the strange lumps in my chest.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.