T-Com Speedport 200 configuration - Germany

Help with setting up the DSL and getting online

Pages: 1 2

jackxel
I just got a Phone/DSL service package from T-Com. I got the password and all the hardware. I connected the hardware and the T-DSL light is not coming up!!! I try everything I can think (wireless connection using my Belkin router, hardwire connection to the modem). I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE INTERNET. Please somebody help step by step WHAT TO DO?
SpiderPig
If the DSL light aint coming on... you aint going to get to the internet..

Call telekom and report a fault, that is assuming that you have connected everything as you should do.
MarysSister
Hi,
I'm trying to help my sister in Landstuhl (near Kaiserslautern) set up her US-bought Dell laptop running Windows XP, bought new about 1 year ago in the US. She ordered T-Com DSL service, they came out and wired the connection, gave her a T-com Speedport 200 modem, and successfully tested the connection with their computer.

Once she got her user name, password and "number", we tried setting up the new network connection (using the "pppoe" network connection) and connecting. It comes back immediately saying "server not available". We have the "number" to dial for DSL correct, and the password correct (at least I've followed the directions carefully, T-Com said we had entered the password correctly, and they verified that her user name and password are active). The modem box has all the green lights on (LAN, T-DSL, power). I've turned off all the firewalling that might be blocking information. I couldn't think of anything else - I'm not familiar with DSL, only cable modems.

We finally took her computer and modem into the local Landstuhl T-Com office. They kept the machine and modem overnight to "have a technician look at it". They returned it, telling us there was a problem with the network card, or the protocols or the drivers. We are now here in the states, and I can connect it just fine to my LAN here (routed to a cable modem) here.

Sooo, my questions:

1) Any ideas?
2) We bought the computer here in San Diego for her. There was some sort of notice "not for use in Europe" with it. We assumed this was some legal or export constraint (and promptly ignored it). Has anyone ever heard of the protocols or drivers for US DSL being different than Germany?
3) Is there any reputable company in the Kaiserslautern area who can come to her house and setup/debug the whole system, including her computer? T-com doesn't want to help with the computer (they were actually quite rude, and wrong to boot). I'm now here in SD, and my sister is not real tech savvy, and she is stuck with a 2 year contract.

Thanks,
Susie

Topics merged by admin
deep_schismic
i recently also had one of T-Com's crappy modem-routers die on me yesterday (W 500V), and had to fork out EUR 120 for a new one (luckily i will be reimbursed for this)...unfortunately i had to have the pw reset...and in true T-Online/T-Com style...i have to wait for the new password to arrive in the post. What a joke. And i thought ISP's in Aus were shite because they required customers to call customer service to reset it (i used to work at such a place before, and 50% of my calls involved this inane task)
Darkknight
The entire postal password things is because T-Online got hacked way back in the day and had thousands of their user/password account lists stolen.
So to make it harder for someone to hack your account they send the new one via register post, so only the valid account owner can sign for it.
This is also why there are 2 main parts of the login name. Each part is stored in a separate DB, with separate admins/security/controls so no 1 group
has access to all the account logins.
YorkshireLad6
" "pppoe" network connection"? " "number" to dial for DSL"? Something fishy here. XP has built in support for boradband connections over a DSL modem, and does not ask for any number. Simpy create a "Broadband Connection" to the internet and enter your username and provider. If using T-Online the username is less simple - see here for some assistance
MarysSister
Thanks for the replies. I will have my sister try the 'Pootle" instructions (just set up as a dial up modem with a "broadband" type) referred by YorkshireLad6 when she returns to Germany in a few weeks.

For clarification, the "number" I'm referring to is the provider number. "You need PPPoE" was the comment by one of the T-online sales guys, so I tried that network type in XP. Out of curiosity, I wonder if PPPoE is used when you have a router connecting multiple computers, not just a direct connect modem? That might explain why the T-online guy told me that.

The T-com speed port 200 may be a crappy box but at this point it seems to think it is working :-) and I don't want to add any variables by changing modems, especially if a new modem requires configuration.

I will let you know what happens in a few weeks!

Cheers,
Susie
Darkknight
I wonder if PPPoE is used when you have a router connecting multiple computers, not just a direct connect modem?
Nope, then the router is configured with the details and makes the internet connection, then shares the connection via a normal network setup.
But the Speedport 200 won't help if you want more than 1 PC on the net at the same time, as it looks only to be a modem. Not a modem/router combo.
MarysSister
Oh! One more naive question: Is the provider number "lhre T-Online Nummer" associated with the physical DSL location in my sister's house in Germany, or is it just a part of the username/login for security?

That is, should I be able to get connected using this number (and her assigned password) at a DSL connection here in San Diego?

Thanks,
Susie
YorkshireLad6
It's associated with the A-DSL transport protocol mechanism implemented in the Deutshe Telekom network. You can use it anywhere on the Telekom DSL network (limited to Germany) but not on non-Telekom lines (e.g. Arcor) or outside of the country.
Johnny English
My father-in-law has dead internet. Basically he reckons his old modem was busted, so he got a new Speedport 200 modem. Engineer says they have a working connection etc.

It appears that you do not configure a Speedport 200 via IP number or whatever? In fact there is no way of configuring at all - it's just plug and go. Except it doesn't!!

I plugged my laptop straight into the unit and that finds connections 99% of the time in hotels etc but this baby doesn't wanna fly.

If there are no settings I'm lost as to what to do next? Does this in fact mean that the engineer is lying and his ADSL connection is naffed?

Ta peeps.

Topics merged by admin
SpiderPig
You need to set-up A PPoE connection on your PC..
Guy
The key word is modem (as in not router), thus the username, password settings etc. are made in the OS.

See also Speedport 200 configuration
Johnny English
OK, but Im now trying to figure out what Telekom software to download. Do they just have the 1 software that covers all modems/connections here:

http://hilfe.telekom.de/hsp/cms/content/HS.../theme-71993079

Seems kinda odd to me, but I cannot find a download for the Speedport 200 and father-in-law swears blind it did not come with a disc or instruction manual!!
SpiderPig
you do not need telkom software..

Look at Post 2 and 3
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.