The stereotype about arrogant BMW drivers - Munich

Is it true they think they rule the roads?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Tomasino
Brief question (and probably dangerous one for the local BMW-area crowd):

I have heard on occasion how BMW drivers can be or are utter assholes, regarding cutting people off, changing lanes, tail-gating, crowding out bicyclists, parking place wars in car parks, using two parking spaces and just general self-importance.

Thinking it a broad generalization, is this true or not? It seems just a little too vague and reaching of a a claim to me, but then I don't drive a Beamer and so don't know the effects of BMW car fumes.

Does anyone have any opinions on this, or should I just tell people not to over-generalize? How is it up there in Munich? Is this a generally accurate claim? Or an act of obtuse slander?
dreamer
oh yeah, same way that all Americans support Bush... what do you think?!
sarabyrd
I have seen other BMW drivers doing all of the above but would never dream of doing so myself. I have also seen similar behavior by drivers of: Audi, Mercedes, Honda, Ford ...
You get the idea.
omjoi
"Verpiss dich Du BMW Fahrer!" is a curse I heard many times not necessarily directed to BMW drivers, but to people with bully/arrogant/careless attitude.
Janx Spirit
BMW drivers do have a bad name that is in part rightly earned. Some Mercedes, Audi and Porsche drivers also display the inability to indicate or use the basic human capacity for consideration. I of course drive perfectly and never let any bastard try to squeeze in in front of me
canaryman
I of course drive perfectly and never let any bastard try to squeeze in in front of me
I thought that they worked a sort of "zip" system here so that I let a car in front of me, the person behind then does the same and so on. It seems fairly arrogant and inconsiderate to never let anyone in front of you which means you must drive a Bmw, Mercedes, Audi or a Porsche.
Fribble
IMO, BMW drivers are civilized. It's the Porche drivers that are a menace to the rest of the population.
JOB
I drive a Ford Transit van, and I'm coming to get you all!!!
kitkat64
No, it's the Mercedes drivers that are a menace. I find what Tomasino wrote to be typical of Mercedes drivers. But it's really all about what you think of the car - I hate Mercedes but I like Audi OK and I have never really noticed an Audi driver doing an of the above - it's all in the perception.

I drive a BMW and sometimes, I get a bit PO'ed because people are always trying to be assholes to me, even when I do let them in (and sometimes I do not just on principle, like on the B13/Ingolstadterstrasse during rush hour - the third lane on the right is the turning lane and is always fewer people - they drive down this third lane and then try to jump into the lanes going straight - this I never allow - assholes can wait just like the rest of us!)
Odenwalder
I thought that they worked a sort of "zip" system here so that I let a car in front of me, the person behind then does the same and so on. It seems fairly arrogant and inconsiderate to never let anyone in front of you which means you must drive a Bmw, Mercedes, Audi or a Porsche.
That's for when traffic is merging (two lanes into one). Otherwise, the normal rules apply (look, blink, look, change lanes). So many don't even look or blink. Or they just think that because they blink, that gives them the right to change lanes driving 60kmh in a 130kmh zone regardless of the car driving the speed limit in the left lane.

Mercedes don't come equipped with turn signals... ever. It's a special order item.

BMW drivers must pass the asshole test before purchase.

Audi drivers are required to pass all other vehicles on the road.

Porsche drivers must swear that they will never let any car pass them, even and Audi.
kitkat64
BMW drivers must pass the asshole test before purchase.
Oh, that explains it - I didn't buy mine...it's leased.
HEM
Otherwise, the normal rules apply (look, blink, look, change lanes). So many don't even look or blink.
When I learnt to drive many many years ago in the UK the following was drummed in: Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre

Here one could get the impression that the practice is: Manoeuvre, Signal, Mirror, PANIC

The idicator (blinker) is merely confirmation that the steering wheel is at full-lock...
eurovol
In honor of OG's birthday, I bought a BMW 525. I have noticed that the car, and me as the driver, are treated very differently than when I was driving around in my Mazda 626. Not sure if that is a good thing or they expect me to be an obnoxious driver so they are more cautious and knee-bending. Even a neighbor came up to buddy-bond with me because I was now driving a "real" car and got rid of the foreign jobby. Fortunately for the negative BMW stereotype, I am adding to the ranks of the decent responsible drivers.
Janx Spirit
I was being facetious because I drive one of the "wanker" cars. I take great pleasure in being overly considerate because the looks of disbelief make me feel all fuzzy and ejaculatory
canaryman
Snap. It is fun doing that, especially to "non-wanker" cars.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.