O2 Genion: Mobile phone service at home - Germany

Any experience or comments?

anabi
One of the mentions Genion (mobile service with a home zone where you get pretty much landline rates). Anyone have/use this?

My Deutsch is almost zero so I used Google to translate the info. One thing I can say about Genion (and other carriers I've looked at) is that German universities could offer PhD programs in mobile phone tariffs!

For me it's a bit important as I have been using my US phone and last month had a $1200 bill. I can use my work handy a bit, but don't want to abuse what they're giving me (and plus I'd like to have a number that is mine).

Thanks in advance for any comments/help.
bubblylady
O2 has pretty good deals when u sign up online.
BadDoggie
Why don't you just get a normal German cell phone? Victorvox (D1) has contracts as low EUR10/month for 2 years. Plus calling time, of course.

As far as international calling from a cell phone, you're hosed. Since you're locked into the carrier, there's no competition and they charge you out the wazoo. But for local calling, even the worst plan will be cheaper than using your US phone.
sparty
I've used the O2/Genion for a year, and I was very happy with it. It's not only an advantage to call out with cheaper rates when you're at home, but it's also convenient for others to be able to reach you on a landline number.
amimeli
I have O2 Genion. But I make all my calls to the U.S. from my regular Deutsche Telekom landline because I can use the cheaper prefix numbers. And also, since it is a 9 hour time difference, it wouldn't make any sense to call from work because whoever I would want to call would be sleeping. So it just makes sense to call from my landline.

But if you want to make calls abroad from your O2 homezone. Calls to the European countries cost: 11 cents a minute to these European countries: Belgium, Denmakr, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Sweden and Switzerland.
And it costs also 11 cents to the North American countries: U.S., Canada (but it didn't say Mexico).

If you make calls abroad while not in your homezone in Germany it costs: 89 cents for the above European countries and also to the U.S. and Canada.

In contrast if you use a prefix number such as 01071 before calling a U.S. number from your regular landline, then it costs about 2 cents a minute. Much cheaper! So I recommend just using your regular landline to call abroad.

But the cool thing about having a homezone is that people can call you for cheap if you are in your homezone! And if you aren't in your homezone then the voicemail automatically switches on and you'll get the message and you can call them back from your cell phone if you want. Also it is free to check your voice mailbox from your homezone. Which is good at the beginning when you are setting up all your preferences and such. Plus since O2 is a British company you can switch the menu for the voicemail options to English.
anabi
That sounds perfect. Basically I wanted a phone that sat at home (and I can take on occasion), folks can call for cheap and I can call around town.

Even 11 cents a minute to the US is fine. I'm used to spending a few hundred a month on my phone so that'll still work (plus I can use my work handy for about half my calls ).

Even with my lack of German I managed to sign up online and order it. The English voice mail will come in handy as well.

Thanks for the great info... once again TT makes my life here possible
yoyo
I lived in an apartment for 2 years without a fixed line phone...just used the genion mobile. You can call the States from your homezone at 11 cents a minute...which I did all the time. Yeah it will always be cheaper with the interconnect prefix numbers, but then you have to pay the monthly 35 € charge to telekom for the privledge of fixed line.

Eventually I did get telekom because I wanted DSL internet
PiePiper
Check out Billiger Telefonieren for a way to work out which international deal is best. Many can be done on a call by call basis, with no subscription. I don't use this but I've heard it reccomended.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.