German war veterans associations (WWI, WWII, etc.)

Info on what such organisations exist

Pages: 1 2

crowes
In the uk the British legion and other groups are for war veterans, they are there to help them and provide a place for them all to meet. Does germany have any thing like this for veterans of the second world war? I dont mean old nazis reunited or anything like that but the veterans must have somebody looking out for them. I got talking to one old soldier on a visit to munich but his english was about as good as my german, so the conversation didnt really get further that me saying my grandad was a desert rat which he understood. Is it a taboo subject talking to the older germans of what they might have done in the war?
Cartooncat
A few years ago when I hadn't been in Germany long and couldn't speak German very fluently, my next door neighbour was an old bloke. He spoke some English to me when he found out I couldn't understand what he was saying in German.

"You speak very good English," I said (he didn't really... but I was trying to be polite as I'd just moved in next door.) "Where did you learn it?"
"I learned it doing forced labour under the British just after the war," he said.

Talk about a conversation stopper...

We got on like a house on fire for the next two years while I lived there...
crowes
My wifes grandad had german prisoners on his farm, they really liked how they were treated and became good friends. one even stayed and married a local girl, he died last year.
LIMA
Google for "Kyffhäuser Kameradschaft"

:-)
Allershausen
Here's the website of a Munich Soldaten und Kriegerkameradschaft.
str
There is no major nationwide organization for veterans and generally Germans are not as much into this remembrance and glorification stuff as the British. There are however many organizations on a smaller scale like a "Kameradschaft" of the veterans of a specific battailion/regiment or squadron. Naturally these organizations are dying out. Maybe something new will evolve as more and more German soldiers become veterans of today's peacekeeping missions (no wars yet apart from aerial operations during the Kosovo war).
Eugene_ac
I would say that apart from the fact that the allies at least wouldn't have supported them or perhaps had even banned them there was no interest in such associations. I know that one of my granddads felt abused by the nazis, which probably applies to many of his generation. He used to say "The best war is shit". I guess he wasn't proud of what he did.
There is some associations like the Bund Deutscher Fallschirmjäger or the above mentioned Kyffhäuser Kameradschaft, but they are not very popular.
HEM
My wifes grandad had german prisoners on his farm, they really liked how they were treated and became good friends. one even stayed and married a local girl, he died last year.
When I was on the research staff of Manchester University (Physics dept) late 70s/early 80s there was a girl student with a German surname - her dad had been POW in Wales, married a local woman & remained. The offspring didn't speak German though. Nice girl - fell for some hippy-type theoretical physicist...
Allershausen
one even stayed and married a local girl, he died last year.
I think this happened quite a lot. One famous one springs to mind: Bert Trautmann
Fastbucks
I worked in a factory near Fulda. There was an old guy there who always said "hands up" when I walked past.
Someone told me they were taught to say this if they caught somebody or heard it when caught themselves.
leisure suit larry
There is no major nationwide organization for veterans and generally Germans are not as much into this remembrance and glorification stuff as the British. There are however many organizations on a smaller scale like a "Kameradschaft" of the veterans of a specific battailion/regiment or squadron.
I agree. You may find some way to contact them here: http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/index.php
triumph bob
Didn't Bert Trautmann play in goal for Man City? I think he's the guy who played on through the FA Cup Final with a broken neck or something wasn't he?

edit: ok, so I should just read the link.
Mapleleafdude
Here is the official association that is also endorsed by the German government/ German armed forces.

Former Soldiers and reservists.

www.vdrbw.de

Any questions fell free to ask since I am a member.
vtboyarc5
Hello all again,
I'm a big history buff, and today in the USA is Memorial Day. The newspapers have big articles where they interview veterans, talk about WW2, etc. Being in the USA, I never get to hear/read on stories from German vets. Its something I've always been curious about. Is there an online source where I could read interviews with German vets from World War Two? Thanks.
Blue Cow
www.feldgrau.com ask here
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.