I hate Singapore

Text and photos requested for a website

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

lolo
I am trying to build a web site discouraging people to have any thing to do with Singapore after spending 3 months on that tropical hell hole of an island I am looking to collect other peoples experiences, photos and place them on a wiki website called Singapore sucks
maria_no1
Shouldn't people be allowed to make up their own minds without being "discouraged", maybe you just had bad luck, i know a few people who have been there or lived there and said it's a great place, i can't say because i haven't been but if the chance comes around then i would go, and wouldn't like to have someones opinion getting in my way or making me worry about my trip. I'm sure there are people who have had bad experiences in places, including Munich but that doesn't really give them the right to brand it a dump or a hell hole.

What happened to make you hate it so much?
ceogero
I am trying to build a web site discouraging people to have any thing to do with Singapore
Hey sounds cool!

But tell us: what made your months in Singapore so bad that you call it a hell hole? Have you been caught carrying dope? Or smoking in a restaurant?

Here is an interesting site: http://www.joewein.de/sg.html
tom_a
I have somewhat ambivalent feelings towards Singapore, but calling it a "hell hole" sounds a little drastic.
Come on, give us something to chew on! Details, details!
Conquistador
Maybe he wasn't able to flush one of those public toilets that don't flush so well.
moctoj2
We were in singapore for 2 weeks in March this year. I have some photos that you could use and a few tidbits about our unpleasant reaction to it. It's a Police state to the nth degree. Thankfully, we didn't get transferred there. PM me for more info.
silty1
When I lived in Hong Kong everyone referred to it as Singabore. Asia is supposed to be this gritty, authentic down-to-earth experience and here they have this real-life Disneyland to offset it. Doesn't suit everybody.
Johnny English
Shouldn't people be allowed to make up their own minds without being "discouraged"
Shouldnt people be able to read opinions on places, warts and all, before going?

I havent been to Singapore for donkeys years but would always be interested to hear all opinions on the interwebby in advance.

For example it is interesting to read the various opinions on Capetown, SA. Sounds to me like everyone agrees the place is beatiful, great weather, interesting wildlife etc but there is a HUGE difference of opinion when it comes to safety.
maria_no1
[quote name='Johnny English' date='Dec 23 2007, 3:02 pm' post='1156009']
Shouldnt people be able to read opinions on places, warts and all, before going?

Of course they should, but i think starting a whole website about it, is a bit much, and a bit of a waste of time, if you don't like somewhere thats fine, but i wouldn't waste so much energy on slamming the place, but thats just me, if he wants to spend his time making a website about it, then let him go.

Merry Xmas
Johnny English
Precisely. The internet is big enough to accomodate everyone and everything including sites dedicated to cats that look like Hitler.
maria_no1
Anyway i think i will be shutting up now, after reading the link posted about singapore and finding out some of the crazy laws including chewing gum as an illegal substance , then go ahead with your website.
tom_a
Possession and use of chewing-gum are allowed, though. As is importing it for personal use in "reasonable quantities".

Anyway, here's a more in-depth link on Singapore politics (homepage of the most prominent opposition party):
http://www.singaporedemocrat.org/

And this guy here keeps ranting on and on about Singaporean politics (seriously overdoes it, though, IMHO):
http://singaporedissident.blogspot.com/

And another critical blog:
http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/
lolo
Shouldn't people be allowed to make up their own minds without being "discouraged",

maria_no1

When you Google Singapore you get all the government sites. I am building a wlki so that means not only I will not be the only one contributing to it .. I can see you point about Munich I have been there but I also hear enough not to want to go live there.

Singapore relays on human capital more then any other state if people can be discouraged or just make aware of how repressive and petty a place it is then I will have done my job

Did you know
If you travel outside of Singapore to the neighboring city johor bahru on mainland Malaysia in your own car. You will be fined a lot of money if you don't have a 3/4 full fuel tank. Do you know how much is left in your gas tank?
Did you know
Cosmopolitan comes rapped in a plastic bag its an obscene publication
Did you know
Drink is taxed/priced out of reach of you ever getting drunk on less then a Singapore Dollars 100
Did you know
Knocked up was edited before it was shown in the cinema to remove all the drugs and sex references . So there was not a lot let it makes no sense. Ang Lee movie 'lust caution' was edited so much it made no sense as well.
Did you know
Anything with violence in it is ok to show on telly but no sex. The scene from 'old school' where 'Blue' dies was not shown so blue is just dead...its never explained.

All the petty rules and laws are all followed and enforced. Its a sick pathetic society held back by micromanaging overpaid government.
Did you know
Your average Singapore parliamentary member earns more then the US president.
So maria_no1 and other hecklers. I can count on your support for what I am trying to do or you silence.
tom_a
Your average Singapore parliamentary member earns more then the US president.
AFAIK, the average Singaporean MP earns roughly 100,000 € p.a. (after the latest pay hike). I do believe George gets quite a bit more.
(Singaporean cabinet ministers do receive unusually high salaries upwards of 500,000 € p.a., though, so maybe you were referring to them?)
Conquistador
Bear in mind that, generally speaking, the "best" go into government in Singapore as opposed to the private sector. GWB makes 400K USD per annum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.