Tracking a Deutsche Post DHL package to the U.S. - Germany

Tips on how to use the parcel tracking number

Pages: 1 2

SFman
Hello, Please help me!
I was just sent from a store in Berlin, a rather large (120cm) package. They said they were sending via Deutshe Post/DHL premium airmail sevice to USA, and it will take 2-3 weeks??

DHL USA says all airmail parcels take 2-3 days (???)

The store sent me a "tracking number" xx xxxxx xxxxx x which is 13 numbers long... and from what people are saying here, it has to to be 12 numbers!

I tried deleting one number at a time in sequence, but it always says not a valid number.

I called DHL USA and they insist that the number is not right and they don't have a slower 3 week service from Germany.

They suggested I contact the US PO but I had no results there either.

I e-mailed the store again and they INSIST that the tracking number is correct. The item is worth close to $2,000. and I paid by Paypal. (but not an ebay item)

I guess my questions are:

What kind of number was I given?

Any other ideas from the type of sevice THEY said they shipped by what to do now?

When a large package is shipped through the DP/DHL "premium-air" sevice, WHO will be delivering the package to me when it reaches the USA??

Thanks for any info.
Darkknight
I'm Guessing it would be DHL or one of their partner carriers..

Most of the time DHL (Germany) tracking numbers are only good for packages shipping within Germany (Maybe even EU)
Just like the USPS Tracking numbers are only good for tracking things in the US. If said package is going international
then those numbers are worthless...

If you want proper worldwide tracking for your packages, you should have used UPS or Fed-Ex
Jay
From DHL Germany (in English) and clicking on i next to Shipment number it says:

The shipment number (also known as Identcode, IDC or AWB) is a 10- to 39-digit number printed below or above the barcode on your package label.
Maybe you have some luck finding your package using the DHL Germany "Track and Trace' site.
Johnny English
Deutsche Post/DHL tracking online doesn't work - never has for the past 4 years I have been here. We used to send hundreds of parcels a week with Deutsche Post but tracking NEVER worked. They just pretend to be a professional firm with "tracking" but its not connected to anything. In theory you can ask the post office to track but they say "we hope to have an answer within 3 weeks" and in practise you just make a claim. So don't beat yourself up trying to get the tracking numbers working!!!

p.s. hopefully your $2,000 included insurance?
Darkknight
$2000.. It will prob. be held-up in customs too (Import Duty).. Good Luck..
mere
DHL tracking numbers are used internationally.
if you shipped it DHL then you can track it on the website.

If it was sent through regular post then who knows.
Small Town Boy
There's no such thing as 2-3 day delivery to the US at this time of year. The final posting dates for Christmas have already passed (for regular mail at least), and given all the various holidays you may well have to wait until the New Year to receive anything, especially as it will most likely be held up in customs, as DK says.
interplanetjanet
In the 3 years I lived in Germany, I never once had a Deutsche Post tracking number that actually worked.
SFman
Thanks for the info...

My main concerns are:

(1) Why is the "tracking" number the store in Germany insists that is correct ...is a 13 digit number, not 12?

(2) Does anyone know what shipping co. handles the DP delivery in the USA?

Can it be anyone other than DHL? (what partner carriers does DHL use in the USA?)

(3) If I hassle them, could the store/shipper in Germany trace the package for me?

(4) I found a phone number for the Deutsches Post located in Washington DC. Do you think if I called them, could they help me??

I don't care about the 3 weeks it might take, only I would really like to know who is going to deliver my package here in the US.
miwild
Region Head Office:
DHL Global Forwarding
1200 South Pine Island Road
Suite 140-145
Plantation, FL 33324
Tel: +1 954 888 7000
bal00
Thanks for the info...

My main concerns are:

(1) Why is the "tracking" number the store in Germany insists that is correct ...is a 13 digit number, not 12?
Long story, but here's the gist of it:
12 digits = DHL Express parcels, 13 digits = basic Deutsche Post service (both air and ground)
Only "actual" DHL parcels with a 12 digit tracking # can be tracked online. Your parcel can only be tracked via phone (German 0180- number, can't call it from the US) and they will only be able to tell you when it left Germany, no tracking info (available to the customer) after that. Stateside these parcels are handled (and delivered) by USPS.

It's a bit confusing because even though they use the DHL label, there's still a difference between actual DHL (Express) service and regular Deutsche Post parcel service.

(3) If I hassle them, could the store/shipper in Germany trace the package for me?
As mentioned above, he can only find out when it left Germany, which is usually 2 days after it was posted. DHL does have additional info and a corresponding USPS tracking number, but they won't tell you.

(4) I found a phone number for the Deutsches Post located in Washington DC. Do you think if I called them, could they help me??
Unlikely.

I don't care about the 3 weeks it might take, only I would really like to know who is going to deliver my package here in the US.
USPS for sure.

As for the delivery time, usually a shipment like this would take 10-14 days, but since it's Christmas it will all depend on how long it sits in customs.
SFman
Thanks bal000!!!

You have answered all my important concerns...
I guess I will just have to call my local PO to have the package held when it arrives.

(I live on a busy street and don't want it dropped off)

No chance you might have some ideas about that "secret" DHL further info inc. the actual USPS assigned tracking number???

Oh, one other question. I have had $100. or less packages arrive without any duty, but this is a item around $1500. (not inc. post)
Do i have to pay any import duty for this in the States, and how does a person pay US customs? Do i pay the USPS? or...?
Darkknight
You pay the USPS or UPS before they will give get it to you..
SFman
Thanks every one...
It seems like there is no import duty on the item catagory, which I just confirmed.
I also called DP USA in Washington DC and they confirmed that the package would be handled by USPS when it arrives in the USA.
I also contacted my local PO and they will try to hold it for me (but I will be calling to remind them)
So, I guess I will just have wait the 3 plus weeks and keep my fingers crossed.

Unless...someone knows how to get that info that DHL has but won't tell.

Thanks again!
Small Town Boy
Remember that the fact that there is no import duty doesn't mean it won't get held up in customs. They'll want to have a look at it before releasing it.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.