Letter salutations and greetings - Germany

How to interpret "Viele liebe Gruesse"

jma.cunningham
Hi.

I have seen things on this before but am still wondering - how would you translate (and interpret)

Viele liebe Gruesse.

Germans aren't all that effusive, are they - and is this sort of a customary ending for a letter between friends

Thanks.
jmac in Canada, and missing Germany terribly
La_Alemannia
This is just beeing friendly between friends. It is a common expression, like "Herzliche Grüße" is. Btw: Liebe Grüße is often used in text messages by just saying LG. There is an ongoing discussion about how tremendously inapropriate this is when used in business. Shouldn't been used but is.
Jeeves
I agree. It's to be interpreted neutrally and nothing should be read into it. It's just one way to say "cheers".
Welsh man
or one could say " best wishes"
jma.cunningham
Thanks, folks.

How about this one:

"Alles Liebe und Gruesse,
Dein
..."

Just want to know what's up.
Small Town Boy
Give it up – s/he doesn't love you. Sorry. You can't read any further into them.
alika
Out of curiosity, what would someone write who does love you? i.e. the equivalent of "Love, John"
Small Town Boy
But "Love, John" also doesn't necessarily mean love in the sexual sense either. That's a standard way to end letters between women and between men and women in English as well.

I don't think there is a particular way that lovers end letters in either English or German. Love you (lots) / Lieb dich (viel) is about all I can think of. A row of kisses below the signature would be a clue as well though.
AmericanBoy
How about this one:

"Alles Liebe und Gruesse,
Dein
That translates to "all love and regards, dein"
CABH
That translates to all love and regards, your *person's name*

Or

Love and greetings,
Your John or Mary

Personally, I find the "Dein" really personal, but have of course been surprised in the past when people meant nothing by it. German people. :-)
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.