Kinds of ketchup besides tomato

Are there any?

Pages: 1 2

Saint
I have noticed that ketchup labels very often say:

"Tomato Ketchup"

what else could it be? I've never heard of carrot ketchup or pineapple ketchup. I just don't get it. Maybe some ketchup expert can enlighten me.
Timmeh
You think it's weird that a bottle of Tomato ketchup is labeled as such?

Edit: Wikipedia reckons there are other types of ketchup:

Mushroom ketchup is still available in some countries, such as the UK. Some popular early main ingredients include blueberry, anchovy, oyster, lobster, walnut, kidney bean, cucumber, cranberry, lemon, celery and grape.
Fribble
I think soy sauce is sometimes called ketsup... or is that oyster sauce?
Keydeck
Two seconds on Google.

Ketchup started out as a general term for sauce, typically made of mushrooms or fish brine with herbs and spices. Mushroom ketchup is still available in some countries, such as the UK. Some popular early main ingredients include blueberry, anchovy, oyster, lobster, walnut, kidney bean, cucumber, cranberry, lemon, celery and grape.
Fribble
According to Oxford American Dictionary, the word ketchup probably originated in late 17th C. China, and the word, in Cantonese dialect, means tomato juice.
Saint
I think that ketchup is so universally known as being made with tomatos (despite the quote Keydeck posted) that to specify that ketchup is "tomato" is odd.
I have shopped for groceries in 7 different countries at least and never seen any of the ketchups that the google search listed.

It's like saying, "lubricated condom", all condoms today have some form of lubrication on them. Specifying "extra lubrication" etc..makes sense but why specify the obvious?

As far as the blueberry or mushroom "ketchups" go, I would call those a paste or a sauce.
gideon
Ketchup is a generic. Though if you're American its probably only available in tomaytoe.
Saint
if your american its probably only available in tomaytoe.
exactly!
Only being from the South, it's tuh-may-da
Timmeh
In Engerland is what the Yanks call ketchup actually tomato sauce, and ketchup is a spiced tomato sauce?
Saint
Looks good Gideon..If I was posting such a recipe or writing one down in my book at home, I would call that a paste though. OK, I'll stop now. I was just curious.

So when would you call a sauce a gravy or vice versa? The net might give one definition but I think it varies regionally. For me, gravy goes on meat or bisquits (southern style bisquits that is) but bernaise is a sauce and not a gravy even though it goes on meat (but definately NOT on bisquits).

I make a cheese sauce and a cheese gravy depending on what it's to be served with and how I make it.
sluzup
I bought some very nice banana ketchup when on holiday in St Lucia
Saint
yuk, but that fits well on the "Banana Poll" thread.
sluzup
I am also not a big banana fan. I can eat them as long as they are not too ripe and hate banana flavoured foods but the ketchup was good.
garibaldi
I have shopped for groceries in 7 different countries at least
Why "different"?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.