U.S. companies that sponsor work in Germany

Finding a job while on a 90 day tourist visa

ek554
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what your experience has been with USA companies sponsoring you in Europe, (when you applied while in Europe, not from USA). I am moving to Germany in a month; don't have any offers yet, and I plan to apply to USA companies during my stay in Germany and I will need sponsoring. I guess, I would like to hear if anyone has been in my situation and what are the policies of USA companies in Europe. How do they view the American applicants vs European ones? I hold a business degree, and I would like to work for accounting firms (such as, KPMG, PWC,), banks, etc. Thank you, Leda.
MollyB
Why are you moving?
(Could be very relevant.)
ek554
My brother lives there, married to a German. I am originally from Eastern Europe but I have been living in United States since 1999. I studied here (accounting and real estate) and also got the citizenship, so I have dual citizenship. My country of origin (Albania) is not member of the EU. So, I want to move to be closer to family members (my brother); my parents live in Albania, but I don't want to move back to Albania, due to the job market and the salaries.
MollyB
You know, the prejudices you're going to face are not going to make it a fun ride. What about the Netherlands or France? (Neither are really PC, but better than Germany.)

Would your brother be able to sponsor you?
tom_a
From what I can tell, the job market in audit/accounting is very good right now (from an applicant's perspective). I don't see why you would be facing any severe "prejudices", considering that you have a US passport. Language skills could be a serious problem, though, because decent German skills would probably be required for most local work. A CPA would also be helpful. (Btw, to be really finicky: KPMG is not an American company. KPMG International is registered in Switzerland. Not that it matters...)
tom_a
Btw, 90 days can be quite a short time-span to look for a job: Even if companies are interested in you, they can easily take several weeks before replying to your application, then it takes a few more weeks to arrange for interviews, another week or two for a final decision, and then they would need to get the work permit sorted... Seems to me you should start applying while you're still in the US.
leisure suit larry
I work in HR and I would say that it will definitely better to sell yourself as an American as opposed to an Albanian, pre-judice-wise. While open discrimination is rare in personnel selection in Germany, a more subtle form prevails, meaning that applicants from Eastern or Southern Europe will be assessed more critically. Americans however are perceived as competent and flexible. The language barrier might be a problem though.

Not sure what you mean by "sponsoring"? Sure, American companies in Germany "sponsor" workplaces by paying salaries...
ek554
Thank you for your replies. Really appreciated.

Molly,
My brother will sponsor me.

Tom,
I hold a BBA (major Accounting) as well as a Master's in Real Estate Finance. My German is not bad; I used to live in Germany (for about 1.5 years) before I moved to the States. During my stay in Germany, I took classes at Goethe Institut and passed the "PNDS?"(if I remember correctly) test, equivalent to the TOEFL. To improve my German, I plan on taking Wirtschaftsdeutsch courses in Germany.
Greetings from USA, Leda.
tom_a
German companies (and that includes many German subsidiaries of US companies) have quite a thing for "relevant qualifications" (i.e. previous job and/or academic qualification that matches the job profile as closely as possible). So your best bet is probably to apply for a job that is very closely related to whatever it is you are currently doing in the US.
polarlight
Dear Leda,
I work in recruiting and I can only confirm what the others have said: 1) the market is very good 2) you absolutely want to sell you as an American 3) even at good market situation, be prepared with patience and extra time.
Have you checked what the big recruiting companies are offering?
Eugene_ac
I can also second 1), can't say anything about 2), as to 3): a friend has applied for jobs with I think PwC, E&Y and Deloitte in summer, and it took about 2-3 weeks until he received the invites for interviews. Deloitte was fastest with 1 week.
A colleague of mine who was working with E&Y in 1999/2000 told me this week that his former boss said that the job market for applicants in auditing is as good as it was in the new economy boom. The demand for staff in TAS/CoFi might have dropped due to the subprime crisis.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.