Configuring Alice DSL Internet and router - Germany

Various technical help getting connected

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Miami-Berlin
So I have a Siemens ADSL SL2-141-I from Alice. Things have been working fine. Only problem is that with this Siemens modem I cannot seem to run both a wireless connection and a direct Ethernet connection. Apparently it is an either/or situation. Well the only way around that would be to get an external wireless adapter for my PC. So essentially I have my laptops and PC all running wireless. (Direct connection to the modem with my PC, would not allow me wireless with my notebook) So I finally got tired of this situation, and went out an bought a SITECOM WL-160. Their instructions are simple enough, but alas, I cannot connect to the internet following their instructions. So, given that I just thought to ask in here for assistance. My first question would be, is there an actual way to run both wireless and LAN connections from this Siemens ADSL SL2-141-I? If not, well then does anyone have any experience with a personal bought router using Alice as an ISP?

Thanks in advanced.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Update*

Figured it out, no need to follow up on this post. Turns out the modem I have does support LAN and WLAN. It must have just been temperamental that day.

Cheers

Chris
Fuhrman8
OK gang...this is my first post and I am confident Toytown Germany can help. I live in Italy and recently traded in my ALICE D-Link 302T modem for their latest ADSL2+ however, I am having a problem establishing an "internet connection" with my notebook. The configuration is such that I have my desktop connected to the modem/wi-fi router via ethernet AND I am trying to get my notebook connected via a wireless connection. I can connect my desktop PC via ethernet with no issues. But the notebook only connects me to the access point and no further. My PCI adapter is a Linksys WPC54GS. The linksys status window for the PCI adapter tells me that I am connected to the access point but the Internet cannot be found. I feel like I am so close and it is something really simple but I am getting my butt kicked trying to find it. Oh yes, I am running XP SP2 on a Dell dimension 4300 (dinosaur)

I am not sure how much in detail I should go in this forum so I do apologize up front if this is overkill. Here is what I have done thus far on the notebook:
1) reset my notebook's wireless connection to DHCP "enabled"...didn't work
2) reconfigured the TCP/IP settings to "obtain the IP address and DNS Server automatically"...didn't work
3) reconfigured the TCP/IP settings to specific IP and DNS server addresses (mainly 192.168.1.1 and several other ones that were listed under my IPCONFIG listing)...didn't work
4) I went ahead and installed the ALICE software on my notebook thinking that I needed to create a connection that requires the Alice username/password prompt...didn't work
5) I have gone to the modem/wi-fi router's set-up page but ALICE doesn't really allow for users to make config changes to their products...

So yes, I am spent...just about ready to pound a 6 pack of Rochefort #10, smoke a cigar and use the modem as a frisbee for my dog. Below you will find details from the latest IPCONFIG/all on my notebook. In addition, I PING'ed some places but no real response. The issue must reside in the modem/wi-fi router... Any and all help is much appreciated!

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FUHRMAN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : homenet.telecomitalia.it

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-4F-06-9A

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : homenet.telecomitalia.it
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SpeedBooster
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-10-91-24-32
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.134
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:28:36PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:55:16PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pinging 216.109.112.135 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 216.109.112.135:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Tim>ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.
sambam
I cannot seem to run both a wireless connection and a direct Ethernet connection
We had this problem earlier this week. I am not sure which brand of WiFi router you are using, but I am assuming it came with an installation CD? We played around with various settings for ages before realising that Alice and Hansanet are somehow related, and by choosing Hansanet from the drop down list of configuration options, the Internet mysteriously worked.

Hope you get it sorted.
maher
Hi All,

I'm getting myself very confused by german technology and need some help!

I've currently got an Alice connection which came with a Sphiron IAD box. The box is a 4 port ethernet router, plus DSL modem and has connections for telephone and ISDN phone. This box only seems to work when the alice cd has been installed and it configures a miniport network connection on the pc (you can't dial-in to the box itself).

I've been having loads of problems with this box, especially under Vista. For some reason, an internet connection through the box won't allow access to www.microsoft.com. All very strange, since the website is ok from the same computer connected at starbucks. also got a WinXP machine off the alice box which works fully. Before you ask why I want to connect to microsoft, it's for the updates.

Anyway, I'm looking at ditching the Alice box and just using a bog standard DSL router/modem (netgear or something like that). Does anyone know if this will work? My main concern is the telephone connection. At the moment the telephone is connected through the alice box and required a passcode to activate the line. I'm worried that Alice are actually doing a VOIP on my telephone connection.

Anyone any ideas how these alice boxes work?

cheers,

Mat.
Mauddib
Does anyone happen to know what the news servers for Alice are. Id like to use Usenet on it but dont know if they have one. news.alice.de didnt work anyway which would be the obvious.
Pas
I'm having a similar problem to Mat.

Using the disk provided and the ethernet connection I'm straight through and able to make this post. I've getting a very good pace out of the line as well, a bit over 10 rather than the max 16 but I'm happy with that.

Nothing I try is allowing me to get through to the router to configure it. When I type in the ip address it seems to be going off to the internet rather than picking up the router. How do I get it to talk to the router and bring up the config screen?
Pas
Got it.

On the underside of the box is the SSID and WEP Key that are needed to get you in. A little piece of information missing from the Short Instructions they give you.
sholdsto
Hi,

If you want to use Alice Internet without installing the software they gave you then you just need to setup PPPoE (Point-To-Point Networking) as Alice internet requires you to enter a user name and password to connect to the internet. You could do this with any router. If you wanted to connect using a fixed cable and have wireless then you would just need to buy a small hub or a wireless box with an extra fixed ethernet cable. The kit that comes with Alice internet seems to do the job ok for me.

Stuart
pirate of penzance
This may not have anything to do with our service provider (Alice), but it's worth a try:

Has anyone else had trouble connecting to their wireless internet via their "WAN miniport"? I haven't been get online without a cable for months now, even though my signal is apparently "excellent". Any suggestions on how to fix this would be gratefully received.
Tofu_Boy
I'm having the same problems. I can't seem to get the siemens box to work with my pppoe username and password. Also...I don't really have a password, apparently I can put in any password when prompted...but when I try to set up the router box either blank or with any password, I can't connect.

Anyone else having the same problems? Perhaps purchasing a new router would help. I'm currently using Alice DSL Fun Flat 16MBit.
Strakurinn
Hello,

After waiting for over 5 weeks to get the Alice phone-internet connection installed at home, I got the technician to come to my house and "connect" my line last wednesday. My phone works fine but I still have not been able to connect to the internet. I have read the postings dealing with Alice in this forum but still have not found an answer.

I am trying to connect a Windows Vista laptop to the internet through a Sphairon Turbolink IAD modem (supplied by Alice). First I tried with the Alice CD but got nowhere. After calling their tech service, I tried setting up a network connection directly, but I get the following error message: "Error 815: The broadband network connection could not be established on your computer as the remote server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the 'Service Name' field for this connection. Please contact your ISP and inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the Connection Properties." On my modem, the power, DSL and phone LEDs are lighted, but not the Ethernet 1 light.

I tried with an older laptop running Win2000. Both with the supplied Alice CD and also setting a network connection manually. This time the error was 678, which I think it is the same as 815 but for Win2000. The only difference I noticed was that when connecting the older laptop the Ethernet 1 LED lights on.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and can advise me how to solve it. Calling Alice tech help doesn't work for me as I do not speak German and it is next to impossible to find an operator who is willing to speak in English.

Any help is welcomed and much appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel

Topics merged by admin
sjconder
Got it.

On the underside of the box is the SSID and WEP Key that are needed to get you in. A little piece of information missing from the Short Instructions they give you.
I have just got the Siemens SL2-141-1 and I have tried this and I get stuck at the next stage, as it asks for a Username & Password. I have tried all the options I can think of including 'admin' as per the Siemans English setup manual.
Any other suggestions welcome, Thanks
Munich Red
Hi all.

I know this thread hasnt been looked at in a while but Im hoping someone can help me here. I am having a problem with my Alice wireless internet connection. I am using the Siemens SL2-141-I WLAN router but althought I can use the internet via a LAN connection the wireless part is giving me a problem. I have read nearly everything in english and german about this issue but I still have the same problem. The problem I have is that I cant communicate with the router when I enter the web address http://192.168.1.1/. All it keeps saying is that the website cant be found. My head is melted at this stage trying everything (although it could probably be something simple that Im overlooking). Anyway if anybody can help me then Id appreciate it very much.
bhatiaanuj
Hi I have just got Alice fun flat DSL. Am not able to connect to the internet although the wireless rounter SL2-141-I is connected and shows status as connected to the internet. I even called Alice customer care and they inform me that there is no problem at their end, and that I show as being connected to the internet. It has taken 10-15 calls to get through to them (as I don't understand German) their techni calls and tries to check the IP, DNS etc but end result still not able to connect to internet.
I have Windows XP.

Has anyone else faced such a problem, can someone please help.
Timmeh
I solved this problem by buying a new router from conrad. Those siemens routers are absolute crap. It's not worth your time
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.