Salary levels for PhD students in Germany

Info on how much the usual salaries are

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

skinina
Hi,
I 'm a new guest of this forum.

I have got in July a master of science in Industrial Biotechnology. Now I'm looking for a job in Germany, UK or USA.
I'm italian and I know that an italian PhD salary is 825 euros montly/net.

I would like to know how much is a german PhD salary... Is it the same for all the major of studies (es. Biology, math, engineering, Economics...etc)?
If I find a PhD job, do I have to discuss my salary with my boss, or is it the same for all the PhD students?

Could you help me?

Thank you very much
Rahul
The salaries for engineering PhD students are higher because they get 75% of BAT II contract whereas for most natural sciences I guess its generally always 50% which amounts to around 1050 Euros or so depending on your tax class. ( this includes the premium for health insurance)

Some students do a get a direct stipendium from the prof. which is tax free and can go upto 1600 euros.

hope that helps!
tom_a
If you can get a full-time (i.e. 100%) contract based on BAT, the net should be at least 1,500 €, possibly more.
skinina
But what does Bat mean? Is it a kind of contract?
tom_a
Bundesangestelltentarif (pay-scale for German government employees)
HEM
I have got in July a master of science...
If I find a PhD job, do I have to discuss my salary with my boss, or is it the same for all the PhD students?
Are you trying to say you are looking for a job which will lead to a PhD?

Way back when I studdied Comp Sci. at Manchester University (and paper tape had 5 holes) a PhD course took 3 years after completing your B.Sc. and they didnt pay you - they charged fees!
The M.Sc. was picked up "on the fly" one year into the P.hD work - at least that was the theory...
skinina
In Italy, and in Germany too, the PhD is a proper job, with salary and working full time.
I tought it was so in UK, too.
In italy you have to get bachelor's degree (that generally during 3 years), than you could get the master's degree (2 years) and only after you have got this two degrees you could apply for a PhD position, that has a salary that in Italy is a scholarship from the university.

Is the PhD in England so?
Amber127
Dont look at the USA, the only charge you for school and they charge you a lot. If you are a Phd student you may be lucky to teach lower lever classes or do some research work depending on your field. They do not pay you to go to school for any level of education.
KofferInBerlin
Bundesangestelltentarif (pay-scale for German government employees)
Not any more... the BAT is now the TVöC (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst).

Somebody knows Where I can find more information about government pay-scale to know exactly before the interview how much I have to get?
Here, for example:
http://inhalt.oevs.monster.de/4598_de_p1.asp
interplanetjanet
Dont look at the USA, the only charge you for school and they charge you a lot. If you are a Phd student you may be lucky to teach lower lever classes or do some research work depending on your field. They do not pay you to go to school for any level of education.
Not true for everyone. The hard sciences usually pay graduate students reasonably well. Yes, it's still technically a fellowship, but they're sufficiently abundant that no person in their right mind would ever pay to go to graduate school in the hard sciences. In addition, typical graduate student pay in the US (for those fields in which it's the norm) is a lot more than it is in Europe. Probably even twice as much.
chucha
From what I've seen, the PhD "salaries" in Switzerland are much higher than in Germany, even when you take into account the cost of living. Have you looked at Zurich? ETHZ is quite a good school.
lazybum
Am I missing something here?

What's the point of studying for years to get a PhD to earn €825 per month? You might as well get a job collecting the bins!
HEM
IMHO this is the source of confusion. It sounds as if he is looking to earn €825 per month whilst studying for PhD ie before being awarded the degree.
So from my UK experience this doesn't happen - you have to pay the University - at least in the UK!
lulü
My friend is also a phD student, and she receives 1600 euro per month net. Doing her phD in TUM.
HEM
Different country, different system. I wish I'd been getting the equivalent when I started down the PhD road... At least I didn't have to pay fees due to may father being a lecturer (different subject) then.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.