The meaning of "Liebe Grüße" - Germany

It's used more often than I thought

Pages: 1 2 3 4

sparty
There are a lot of ways how you can end an email or a letter, and one of them is with "Liebe Grüße". At first I thought this was a real informal way of saying regards, but it seems like it's a normal thing because I receive these endings in business mails as well. I have seen the abbreviation "LG" as well, in the assumption it's the same...? To me this sounds really weird to end an email with to a colleague, business partner or customer, because if I would translate this to my own language literally, this would by far not be appropriate!
MonksTown
You open in English by saying "Dear" don't you though...
I really thing "Liebe Grüße" has no place in business e mails though some of the girlier colleagues use it.
Mariposa
I agree with MT, I would never use LG in a business e-mail. I only use it with friends. To me it is similar to writing "Love Mariposa" at the end of a message and I would never write that to a business partner either. However, I guess, it has become so commonly used that to some people it may have lost the real meaning.
dimmer
It's totally a girly thing, don't use it unless you also favour pink underwear and wear lipstick.

Starting an email or a letter with 'Liebe XXX,' is more acceptable for both sexes. It is pretty informal, though.
sea-king
Try this!!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

It´s the offical one!
bluedave
I think it's used in a situation where you have exchanged mails for a while or is from someone from a marketing dep't trying to seem to be your friend.
Guy
I once sold something on ebay to a "Jessyca", who signed mails "Liebe Grüße". It's definitely a girly thing.
The name on the ebayer's bank account? Helmut.
Still, he paid me, so what did I care?
sparty
Try this!!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

It´s the offical one!
That's what I use all the time, but I get the "Liebe Grüße" back...
Mariposa
I do not think it is that girly, I would not find anything weird in a guy using it anyway.
bluedave
Are you serious Mari? I would be a little worried to get that from another guy tbh
sparty
I would be a little worried to get that from another guy tbh
Me too, that's why I started this post...
MonksTown
Yeah, the only time I've ever had it from a guy in an e mail was from a screaming puff and not for work.
A guy and a girl might use it if they are quite close, like you say "SÜPI" some times.
bluedave
Ok, i have to ask though i'm scared of the answer, what does suepi mean?
Guy
I do not think it is that girly, I would not find anything weird in a guy using it anyway.
Maybe from a guy to a girl, if he was sharking...
sea-king
It´s a German form of "Super" and really gets on my tits SÜPI! . or in English SOOPI !
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.