Buying a second-hand car in Germany for export

Experiences and advice, insurance and docs etc.

Mauddib
This is complicated.

A friend of mine is coming to Düsseldorf from Ireland. He is buying a car there second hand off a private owner in Mönchengladbach.

He is landing on Friday morning next week, getting the car, and heading off to sort Temporary license plates and insurance. He will then drive the car out of germany.

So... what kind of issues is he likely to hit. What does he need to know. The change of ownership is easy apperantly from what he has found out, but temp insurance he is not yet sure of.

And how does he get around the issue of now having TWO cars (a rental and the one he just bought) and must now get the rental car back to the rental company.
satguy
Hi
I am interested in purchasing a used vehicle from germany and take it with me to a non-EU country. Could someone please tell me:

1) what the main websites are in germany that list second hand cars for sale? classified, online newpapers etc...

2) Is barganing on the price of the car allowed in germany?

3) Are prices usually inclusive on VAT tax? for example if a car is advertised for 10000 Euros is VAT included in that price or is it usually added on top?

thank you
MrNosey
1) what the main websites are in germany that list second hand cars for sale? classified, online newpapers etc...
www.mobile.de
www.autoscout24.de

2) Is barganing on the price of the car allowed in germany?
No, it's strictly forbidden. Only kidding. Of course it's allowed. I'd positiviely encourage it in the current economic situation, where cash is king.

3) Are prices usually inclusive on VAT tax? for example if a car is advertised for 10000 Euros is VAT included in that price or is it usually added on top?
Yes, inclusive of tax (Mehrwertsteuer/Mwst) at 19%. You'll see some people advertising the price netto explicitly for export customers. You should be able to get an invoice (Rechnung) with VAT (Mwst)separately identified (ausgewiesen).

Some other people on this board have worked in this business before. Bear in mind additional costs, such as insurance for export, transportation, conversion to local standards, translation of German docs/registration in new country, new MOT in new country, etc.
chicagolive
Hello there first to the one person for buy cars you can check out

www.quoka.de

http://www.autoscout24.de

http://www.mobile.de/home/index.html#0

and if you have time you can catch some pretty good deals at the local dealers. I just bought a Audi S8 from the Audi dealer in Heidelberg for €20,000 fully loaded with only 9000km which would be like a new car in the states. The price includes me also paying to convert it to US specs which is important for what ever country you are importing to unless it is Africa or the Middle east where they could really careless in most cases. The next deal would be the shipping cost but since you are in Europe that is not a big deal. If I was the guy I would just take the train here it would be cheaper than a rental anyway.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.