Setting up T-DSL with a Speedport 701v - Germany

Help with configuring the modem and router

Pages: 1 2

dasnipa
Hi,

Been living here over a year and just found this site, ace. T-Com have upgraded my internet connection from DSL 6000 (6Mb) to 14Mb. They kindly sent me a new modem, The Speedport 701v 701v

I have set it up ok, ie I have access to the net, but my speed is still 6mb. I also don't know if I have configured it correctly, when I go to www.speedport.ip it is in German which I'm not the best at understanding.

The instructional PDF is here Speedport 701v PDF

Page 31 is the start of the configuration.

Hope I have gave you enough info. Any help or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.
YorkshireLad6
14Mb is not a "standard" DSL speed.
How do you know it has been upgraded? - Do you have written confirmation (with date of changeover?).
Who is your internet provider?
How do you know you have 6mB in the first place?
gtappend
T-Com have upgraded my internet connection from DSL 6000 (6Mb) to 14Mb. They kindly sent me a new modem, The Speedport 701v 701v
14Mb is not a "standard" DSL speed.
I suspect dasnipa means 16MBit, don't you?

@YorkshireLad6: the Speedport W701V has a diagnostic option in it, which shows you the current upload/download speeds.

I suspect the problem is one of two possibilites:

1. the line has not been upgraded you (check the written confirmation) and the speedport has arrived a few days early. In this case the speedport will work fine, but at the lower speed.

2. the line cannot support 16MBit in the first place (see my post Telephone cold callers, how best to stop them) and you have signed up for a tarif with lots of extras included (Call&Surf Comfort Plus?) but you can't actually use the maximum line speed.

To help find out, visit this homepage from T-Home and enter your number under "Verfügbarkeitscheck". T-Home will then estimate the maximum speed of your line and tell you if they even think that 16MBit will be possible.

If you can only get 6MBit and you don't want to use all the extras (Sicherheitspaket, Hotspot Flat, etc.) then the Call&Surf Comfort without the "plus" would have been sufficient for your line.

If none of that makes sense, PM me your phone number and I'll look up the max. speed for you.
dasnipa
Thanks for the reply.

I'm with Deutch Telecom - T-Mobile. When they were on the phone to me they did say it was being upgraded to 14Mb, but I suspect they meant 16Mb, I can currentley download @ 640kbytes/s.
So my 6Mb is ok. I put in my number like you asked and got this...

DSL ist für Sie verfügbar!*
Für Ihre Rufnummer: 0521 / #######
sind folgende Produkte erhältlich:
Ins Festnetz der Deutschen Telekom telefonieren und grenzenlos highspeed-surfen im besten Netz Deutschlands.
Jetzt zum günstigen Paketpreis!

Stellen Sie sich Ihren DSL Anschluss nach Ihren Wünschen zusammen oder nehmen Sie Änderungen vor.
:: Call & Surf Basic
:: Call & Surf Comfort
:: Call & Surf Comfort Plus - bei Bestellung bis 31.07.2007 Aktionspreis sichern!

:: DSL 1000
:: DSL 2000
:: DSL 6000
:: DSL 16000

I have not had written conformation yet, maybe that what it is?
YorkshireLad6
Telekom will always provide written confirmation of any change to your service, usually with a date it will take effect from. Until you have that then you don't have any upgrade. Alternatively and call them to find if/when it will be changed - 08003301000
dasnipa
@Yorkshirelad

Since I have been using the Speedport 701v, I have no incoming connections using Utorrent or any other torrent clients, windows firewall is off and Norton 2007 is set to allow all port using utorrent. How do I configure my speedport to allow incoming connection ie port forwarding?

Cheers mate
daynov
To set up port forwarding:

Log into your router (default is 192.168.0.1) then select Konfiguration starten on the right.

Then select Netzwerk on the left, then NAT & Portregeln

Attached image

then Neue Regel anlegen

Attached image

enter your Torrent client and your LAN IP address (your computer IP address). Make sure you put the forwarded port number in BOTH "Ports" boxes. Do this for TCP and UDP seperately.

Attached image

and don't forget to "Speichern".

Hope this helps..

Any other questions, just PM me...
dasnipa
You my friend are a STAR... Got the green light.

When I set it up originally, I was just guessing and google translating, but got it to go ok. If you have any other configuration tips that would be ace mate. I'm still running at 6mb down but I think thats T-Com not my router.

Thanks again mate.
daynov
Yeah, the 6mb down is from the TCom side of things. You don't need to configure your router to accept higher speeds. A friend of mine is getting 16Mb down and he didn't need to do anything.

A reason for you speed is similar to my situation here at my place. I originally applied for a 16Mb line with TCom. I was in the shop with the salesman and he checked my number online and said "No problem". When the line finally got turned on I noticed that I was only getting 3Mb. I rang Tcom and they said that everything was fine at their end. So I told them to get a technician out to the exchange that I'm on and check my speed, which they did. I received a call back on the day this was carried out and was told that our line/exchange could only take up to 3Mb... huh ! Why the salesguy couldn't find that out is beyond me.

So I told them to degrade our contract to the 2Mb package so that we're not paying the full 16Mb price.

Had've I not checked, I'd be none the wiser. I wonder how many people are on the 16 or 6 Mb package without knowing they're not getting it...

My question is : If a company knows that a product is not possible for an area, then why is it activated with the unavailable speeds ? I'm sure there is something illegal with this..
YorkshireLad6
our line/exchange could only take up to 3Mb... huh !
So I told them to degrade our contract to the 2Mb package so that we're not paying the full 16Mb price.
I wonder how many people are on the 16 or 6 Mb package without knowing they're not getting it...
My question is : If a company knows that a product is not possible for an area, then why is it activated with the unavailable speeds ? I'm sure there is something illegal with this..
While I can't say it won't happen, I can say it rarely happens. Telekom can estimate (generously) the speed on any new line and will only provide the maximum they believe it's capable of, with margin for error. In some cases there may be an interim speed capability, but the customer is always told beforehand. For example, although the only package options currently available are 1Mbit, 2Mbit and 6Mbit, they often rate the line maximum at 3Mbit, and give (charge) you the 6Mbit package but at the same time telling you this in the confirmation. When an existing line is upgraded a loopback test is performed on the circuit BEFORE confirming the upgrade to check both line and modem are capable of the new speed. There can be occasions where line degradation following an upgrade can reduce speed, but these are rare, and often can be fixed if the line was capable of the declared speed previously. Many newer routers (AVM basedSpeedport and Fritz are good examples) have line monitors where you can check and confirm both the line capability and the negotiated connect speed (which has little or nothing to do with internet and download speeds anyway).
Legally Telekom cannot confirm and/or charge for a service they cannot offer.
daynov
Legally Telekom cannot confirm and/or charge for a service they cannot offer.
But the fact is, the exchange was only capable of 3Mb. Therefore they should know straight away that you can't order the 6 or 16Mb package for any line attached to that exchange.

We did pay for the 1st month but got a credit for the 2nd month for the overcharging. I'm sure this is happening to a lot of people.

Why they don't have public (well at least on the TCom store computers) info on the exchange locations so that if you enter your number it will tell you your exchange and what it's capable of, is beyond me...

I can do that in Oz.. Type in my number, and it will tell me the exchange you're connected to and it's ADSL availability...

although the only package options currently available are 1Mbit, 2Mbit and 6Mbit
...and 16Mb
dasnipa
I will pop in over the weekend and ask them about my 16mb.

Another question, when I had my 6mb, which for a year worked perfectly, maxed out 24/7. I used to use T-Online software (version 5) to dial in to my connection & receive email from T-Online. Now with my new Modem I can't access this, so if they have sent me any emails I can't get them.

I suppose I could get them on the net, web based I mean?

And before I could switch on and off my connect a will, but now with the Speedport It's on 24/7?

Thanks...

Stu
daynov
You can access your email via the web or using Outlook Express or Outlook, or whatever email program you use.

Just set up your email account as a POP3 account with these settings.

Yes, your Speedport is on 24/7. It needs to be if you have your telephones plugged into it.. There's a feature in the router that logs your phone calls made and calls received - things like time, ph. number and call time. So you can check on missed calls when you get home if your phone doesn't have a digital display.

But if you want to turn it off.. (but you won't want to) there's a switch on the back..

I think this answers your questions...
dasnipa
Cheers for the info mate.

Off to buy another Hard drive, Only 100gb free out of 1.3Tb.
YorkshireLad6
I used to use T-Online software (version 5) to dial in to my connection & receive email from T-Online. Now with my new Modem I can't access this, so if they have sent me any emails I can't get them.
You should be able to reconfigure your T-Online software to access the Internet/Email over LAN rather than trying to dial in over a modem.
Just set up your email account as a POP3 account with these settings.
But to do that over a multi-user (router) access you need to first set up a POP3 password
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.