Shawn, Shaun, or Sean

Name spelling variations between the US and UK

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Saint
Morning!

A Swedish colleague just asked me how to spell the name in the title of this thread. He was thinking "S-h-a-u-n" and my first thought was "S-e-a-n", then I remembered OG's sheep and thought that perhaps, "S-h-a-u-n" is a British spelling of the name and the other American? Also, "S-h-a-w-n" is female only right?

Any other specific variations in name spellings between the US and UK? Are there specific variations within the UK?
sharpe
Tony, Toni, Tone ?
NOFXmike
I know all three are common in the U.S. (Sean would probably be the least common of its spellings)
MajorBummer
Morning!

A Swedish colleague just asked me how to spell the name in the title of this thread. He was thinking "S-h-a-u-n" and my first thought was "S-e-a-n", then I remembered OG's sheep and thought that perhaps, "S-h-a-u-n" is a British spelling of the name and the other American? Also, "S-h-a-w-n" is female only right?

Any other specific variations in name spellings between the US and UK? Are there specific variations within the UK?
My one ex bf was called "Shawn" and he certainly was a he. My best friend in SA is called Shaun and he is also a he. I think Sean can be both male and female.
tinap
no, shawn cam be a male
tinap
duane, dwane
sarabyrd
My counterpart in the US is a female Sean, but I had a male Sean friend when I was a kid.
Punchbear
Seàn. S. E. A with a "fada" to emphasize the vowels broadness. N. That's the Gaelic way ysee, it's the Irish version of John.
Keydeck
Da fada's de wrong way round bud.
Ruthie
I always thought of Sean as the original, correct spelling. And I think of any form of the name as being male. But in the US people get very creative with names and spelling. Basically, anything goes.

Another neutral name is Leslie, or Lesley.
Punchbear
And I can't find an exclamation mark on this keyboard either. Feckin' continentals - they make great nudie movies, but keyboards? Shitehawks.
Ruthie
My brother-in-law's name is John (middle name Wayne), and he is Brazilian. So his name is pronounced "Zh-wow" -- and my name is pronounced "Hootchie"
JerseyBoy
Never knew any "Shauns" or "Shawns" in the US, only knew "Seans," and they were all male.
NOFXmike
Oh, by the way, an old friend of mine and the goalie of my hockey team in Jr. High is now fairly famous, you might know him as Har Mar Superstar or maybe as the singer/songwriter of Sean Na Na...or maybe from the movie "Starsky and Hutch" where he played "Dancin' Rick"

...anyways, his name is Sean Tillmann

...but I know at least one tour guide in town, male, named Shawn ...and he's american.
NOFXmike
Another neutral name is Leslie, or Lesley.
Neutral? that reminds me of the song "A Boy named Sue"
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.