Replacement copy of a German birth certificate

How to get hold of one

grazzenger
The oh-so-chaotic British authorities have lost our son's German birth certificate. For all the shouting we can do at them, it probably isn't going to help in getting it back.

Does anyone have any tips, advice or experience in what is required to get another one? We're visiting for a week in September but we'd rather not wait until then if possible.

Sometimes (and I never thought I'd say this) German bureaucracy definitely had it's advantages!
Rilana
Just had a quick look and you get it from the Einwohnermeldeamt where he was born.
grazzenger
hi rilana, many thanks for that. i guess we'll need to wait until we're there in september. he's got a german and a swedish passport at the moment but we want to get the british since that's me. sadly the uk tax credit dept have lost his birth certificate, so he'll have to wait for the third one. it's also not that good a feeling with him having no original birth certificate. cheers!
Rilana
The German embassy might be able to help you if you need it sooner. Hope you get it sorted, it's not a big deal so don't worry too much, know of many people (parents mainly! ) who have lost birth certificates and had to get new ones issued, you rarely really need them I guess. Hope it all goes well!
zard
I got my husband a new copy of his German birth certificate just by calling the Einwohnermeldeamt in the town where he was born and requesting it. They mailed it to us(here in Germany) regular mail. I then paid the quite nominal fee via a Bank-├╝berweisung. I was astonished at how easy it was when I called -- found the number by looking up his town on the internet.

edit--he was born in Heidenheim a.d. Brenz
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.