Post delivery times from Germany to the U.S.

Experiences with letters, postcards, and packages

Pages: 1 2 3

Natalie25
Could anyone tell me how long (approx.) it take for a tiny package (smallest sized one bought at post and sent as Luftpost brief) to get to the East Coast from here.
Allershausen
If it's anything like a postcard from USA to Germany, about 2 weeks!
Natalie25
2 weeks from USA to Germany for a postcard!?!
planetmoni
depends, some of my postcards took 4 days from West Coast to Germany and another batch 2 weeks despite mailing them at the same time...
BadDoggie
Letter/postcard will take 5-6 days normally. Package of any size will take no less than that. It depends how you send the package. If you shell out for the full-priced, first class airmail, it should arrive within 6-10 days; otherwise it could take anywhere from three weeks to a couple months.

woof.
Lexicon
Like BD said, every time I've mailed a letter it's taken about 7 days. Might be longer for a package.
Natalie25
I sent it with Luftpost airmail - as a letter althought it is a tiny very light package. Half the size of an A4 envelope.
germanyshelley
If it's anything like a postcard from USA to Germany, about 2 weeks!
What?! When I lived in Chicago, my mail consistently arrived in Germany within 3 - 4 days of mailing it. Seriously.

However, from Germany to the US seems to take a bit longer, about a week/ week and a half.
Allershausen
Well I posted a load a load of postcards in Memphis and they all arrived about 2 weeks later, not just in Germany, but England and Holland too.
perdido
In my experience going from germany to the US is quicker than vice versa.
clementine
My s/o and I send packages back and forth all the time. It always takes longer for Germany to US. I just recieved a post card from him that he sent almost 3 weeks ago, while cards I send to Germany generally take 3-5 business days. I send him packages that usually take 4-7 business days unless it gets tied up in Customs. When he sends me a package it takes sooo long. Once he even spent money on expedited delivery (he spent almost 30 euro extra!) for a bday package and that one took almost 5 weeks!

I think it's because the postal services of each country have agreements only to deliver the packages, but aren't bound by any of the promised delivery times. My postmaster advised me of this when I wanted to spend the extra to get a package to germany a little faster, she said don't bother.
mere
when people from the US sent me stuff it'd take about 4-6 days on avg. When i've sent things US to DE i'm not sure since the people don't tell me if they get it or not and if it is mentioned it's usually after a week or so of them already having it.
eurovol
However, from Germany to the US seems to take a bit longer, about a week/ week and a half.
I think you have that backwards.

In my experience going from germany to the US is quicker than vice versa.
Exactly. A letter to home takes 6-7 days and only 2 of those days are required for it to leave Munich and be on a plane out of Frankfurt heading to the states. When I lived in Md., it took a week to 10 days fro a letter to go to N. Virginia. A distance that I could have driven within an hour by the way.
BadDoggie
That's absolute bullshit and you know it. The US Post Office is one of the most efficient postal systems in the world (save for their counter "service"); a first class letter mailed in the continental US will normally arrive within two days. The mail I get from the US generally arrives within six days. The big difference is the price: inland US is less than half what it costs here and international is less than a quarter of the price. A fucking "overnight" letter starts at €51, requires a minimum of three business days and you get no guarantee whatsoever. With a company other than the USPO (who partner now with shitty DHL) from the US to here it's less than half that cost and guaranteed to arrive within three calendar days, and "within 48 hours" as an available option.

woof.
Small Town Boy
The price is probably a larger difference than the time. Prices for sending a 20g airmail letter:

From USA to Germany (USPS): $0.84 (€0.62)
From Germany to USA (Deutsche Post): €1.70

So it costs nearly three times as much to send a letter from Germany to the USA than vice versa. I honestly have no idea how this country can function properly with Deutsche Post in charge of the postal system.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.