iTunes and copying music from other libraries

How to do this without losing your own library

Rilana
Have searched this, but did not find anything.

Does anybody know if it is possible (and if so, how) to copy songs from someone else's library without loosing the songs from your own + when plugging the ipod back in to your own laptop not loosing the songs you copied from someone else's library?

It always just synchronises with the library you 'plug' it in to...
Lexicon
http://ourtunes.sourceforge.net/

Ourtunes - it's awesome.
Diane
I think you have to click the 'options' or 'preferences' section at the top of the toolbar when you open itunes and set your ipod preferences to synchronize your library 'manually' rather than automatically that way you just drag (Copy/paste) the songs you want from the itunes library to your ipod's playlists.
But just in case wait for any other replies/options...
Rilana
Thanks Diane...I tried that but it just didn't seem to let me keep the stuff from the other library, just add manually the stuff from the library I was plugged in to at the time. Strange... I think perhaps they are trying to ensure that everyone buys their own stuff. Understandably I guess.

Ourtunes...never heard of that, will check it out. Thanks!
Lexicon
Rilana wants to copy songs from someone else's computer to her own. itunes lets you play someone else's songs, but you need ourtunes to actually copy the files to your computer. From there you can do whatever you want with them.
Rilana
cool - thanks.. will give it a try.
Diane
Or just get Frostwire (the new Limewire)
You can pass any song from there to your itunes library
Wheel
Rilana wants to copy songs from someone else's computer to her own. itunes lets you play someone else's songs, but you need ourtunes to actually copy the files to your computer.
Actually all you need is access to the files and then drag and drop them onto the iTunes window when it's running. Ourtunes makes access to the files easier because you can use iTunes sharing rather than messing about with networking the machines etc. Except it doesn't work with iTunes 7.

Easiest way is probably to burn the folder/s containing the music you want onto a CD/DVD. Then put it in the target machine and drag and drop the folder/s onto the iTunes window. iTunes will do the rest.
Diane
Easiest way is probably to burn the folder/s containing the music you want onto a CD/DVD. Then put it in the target machine and drag and drop the folder/s onto the iTunes window. iTunes will do the rest.
Yep, I've done that too...
Rilana
yes that's what I was planning on doing, but I wanted to check there wasn't an easier option first...
Wheel
@ Diane

And it didn't work? It should work for everything except music bought from the iTunes store. If not, make sure iTunes is open showing the Music Library. When you drag the folders onto the window a big green plus sign should appear. Let go and the import starts.
silty1
For all things iPod, you can't go wrong with iLounge. Comprehensive forums on everything related to iTunes as well.
Diane
@ Diane
And it didn't work?
Yes it did, either by choosing to update songs manually into the ipod or saving them onto a cd and then loading them into my account, I think it was Rilana who didn't want to use that step for being more time consuming...
Darkknight
Recently iTunes has been updated to use/sell DRM free music for a slightly higher price.

What you may not know is that if you buy/download these DRM free files, your itunes username and
email address is embedded in the file. This can be used to track down the source of pirated music. Should
you attempt to serve up these files to a P2P network, some other type of network/server, or to another itunes
user, apple will be able to track the infringement directly back to you.

I'm sure somebody will create a program to remove this info. but until then be warned..

For more info, have a read here: Apple hides account info in DRM-free music
JOB
Try this. It creates a new folder with the contents of the iPod, then you just add the folder to iTunes and Robert's your Father's Brother.

Attached image
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.