Car parking in Munich

Opinions on what the general situation is like

Pages: 1 2 3

ExpatCharles
I know this isn't a very straightforward question because all of the answers will vary according to location. But generally, is the parking situation in Munich decent? Here in Berlin, its a nightmare, I wont even buy a car as a result. But coming from Southern California, I am going nuts not owning one. So on my ever-growing list of 'advantages to living in Munich', can I add plenty of parking, or is Germany just not known for that?

Thanks!

Charles
randy
Within the Innenstadt, that is, inside the borders of the Mittlerer Ring, parking is very bad. In the most desirable residential neighborhoods in the Innentstadt, it's near impossible. Parking in the suburbs is just fine.

If you specifically want to park in the area where I park my car, it's beyond impossible and your car will be stolen, and your neighbors will be loud, rude and beyond tolerance; so don't even consider it.
ExpatCharles
I hope that was a joke.
MadAxeMurderer
Why are you going nuts not owning a car? Is it because as a Calfornian you can no more easily imagine life without a car, as life without cola?

Or have you actually found yourself really inconvienced not having a car.

A lot of us down here don't have a car, and just rent one on the rare occasions we actually need one.
sarabyrd
Parking is bad in the inner city unless you live in a licensed area where you have a fighting chance to get a space close to home. Garages run from €80 to €125 per month in my experience.
ruapehu
I have never lived in Berlin, but my experiences whenever I've been there with a car is that it is much, much easier to find a parking space in Berlin than in Munich. I have also had his opinion confirmed by other people, including some who have lived in both cities.

But because of Munich's geographcal layout and relatively compact size compared with Berlin, you may find you won't need a car at all. Public transport is efficient and reaches most corners of the city - you rarely need to change lines more than once en route, and cycling is also a real option for mot, if not all of the year.
oli2000
Garages run from €80 to €125 per month in my experience.
Eh? I pay 50,- EUR for my garage in Haidhausen/Au.

If you have a garage in Munich and use your car to commute outside of town you will of course not have a problem. Within Munich however driving/parking isn't the way to go, esp. since the city council has introduced resident permits for most areas, so you will have to pay for parking everywhere outside of your own block.
sharpe
Any idea how do u get those permits?
Deccie
Parking in P/Berg and Freidrichshain is a pain coz a lot of families live there with cars and parking is free. If there introduced some type of control (residents only permits , cheap parking rates) then it would be a lot more easier.

Go into Mitte always find a spot, but you have to pay.

BTW, why would you ever want a car in berlin? public transport is brill.
oli2000
Any idea how do u get those permits?
Check here.

Reqeust a permit using the appropriate form and send a copy of your vehicle title to

Kreisverwaltungsreferat
Verkehrsüberwachung KVR III/13
80466 München
MonksTown
Within the next couple of years just about ALL of Munich within the Mittlerer Ring is going over to a new on street parking system.

Residents will be able to buy a permit to park locally.
Non residents will have to pay per hour for on street parking.

Unless you really NEED one, I wouldn't advise having a car if you live in inner Munich.
Hutcho
If you get an apartment in the inner city, you often have an underground car parking space that you can take with the apartment.

If you live on the outskirts of town you shouldn't have a problem with parking. If you're thinking about just using a car instead of the public transport when trying to get around Munich, then forget about it.
bluedave
Without a tiefgarage parking in Munich is a nightmare. I used to drive around for up to an hour when i got home from work till i got a place.
sarabyrd
Eh? I pay 50,- EUR for my garage in Haidhausen/Au.
Haidhausen/Au isn't exactly inner city, wrong side of the river.

Check here.

Reqeust a permit using the appropriate form and send a copy of your vehicle title to

Kreisverwaltungsreferat
Verkehrsüberwachung KVR III/13
80466 München
The permit has nothing to do with your car registration. You need proof of residence in the licensed area, i.e. your Anmeldung, any car can use the permit (we have one for work and share it).
oli2000
Haidhausen/Au isn't exactly inner city, wrong side of the river.
Haidhausen is within the Mittlere Ring which according to the thread is the area in question for parking in Munich.

The permit has nothing to do with your car registration. You need proof of residence in the licensed area, i.e. your Anmeldung, any car can use the permit (we have one for work and share it).
No you do not need proof of residence in the licensed area, other than stating the fact that you live there. You do indeed need to provide a copy of the car registration, regardless of where the car is registered (click on the link I provided):

Zur Beantragung eines Bewohnerparkausweises brauchen Sie nur
- unser Formblatt (den Download finden Sie unten) und
- eine Kopie des Kfz-Scheins.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.