Life in Berg am Laim - Munich

Is this a nice area of Munich to live?

Pages: 1 2

dblev
I posted a topic just a few days ago about where is better to live, neuhausen or schwabing and I got so many quick and helpful responses that I wanted to get everyone's opinion again. I was planning on getting an apartment in Neuhausen but I have been given a free furnished apartment in Berg Am Laim (more specifically berg am laim strasse) and I am only 22 so I cannot turn down the free apartment! From what I can tell it is really close to Haidhausen and the ostbahnhof train station, but I am not familiar with either region. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how this region is and if it is a descent part of town, especially for free. Also is it easy to get to other parts of the city from there to go out at night if it is not the best area?

Thanks for everyone's opinion in advance! I really appreciate it.
eurovol
Its a main street. Not much to say, not a whole lot out there. I looked at a house once a bit further out towards Trudering, but decided the neighborhood was not for us. If it is free, and closer in, then it can't be all bad, can it?
The real question is, why is it free to begin with?
There is pub. trans. there, but still, FREE?
dblev
Just to clear up why it is free is because the company I am working for is letting me live there for free. Thanks for any posts in advance.
Chalmondley Warner
Berg-am-Laim-Strasse is a very short street. It's literally just 5 blocks long extending from Ostbahnhof to Josephsberg. If you're at the Ostbahnhof end, perfect. You're 5 minutes walk from Haidhausen, a very fashionable area. If you're at the Josephsberg end, it's 20 minutes walk. The only thing to remember, as mentioned above, is that this is a very busy road. You will hear lots of traffic noise all day, even with double glazing. I'd say take it. Although I'd like to see the place first of course.
don_riina
Berg am Laim str. is about to get busier aswell. They're just nearing completion of some massive office buildings near the Ostbahnhof end. Curiously high amount of drunken tramps around that area. Always a few outside the Tenglemann.
Transport is OK from there though. Tram straight into town, 1 stop to Ostbahnhof on the train, direct train to airport, served by 3 s-bahn lines. Couple of restaurants round there, a good Thai in particular, nice biergarten within a few minutes walk with good food and beer.
koala
I'd say take it - it's free. Depends how long you're intending staying in Munich, but if you decide you don't like the flat - you can look round for something better when you get here.

As for the area - I don't know the street but it's pretty central and from the Ostbahnhof you have S-Bahn lines running into and out of the town centre, as well as the U5 and a range of buses and trams.
ashu
I live in Trudering which is one stop away from Berg-au-laim. Trudering is pretty much what a suburb would be like. It's a quiet neighbourhood, so don't expect too many things happening around you. But on the other hand if it is free, I would say take it. It is about a 15 minute ride to Munich center and never a problem to get around town.
bubblylady
if you're only 22 I take it you would love Kunstpark, Germany's biggest party zone, which is at Ostbahnhof. There are some good bars near Ostbahnhof, like Juleps, Escobar and Lisboa Bar.
pootle
I live on Berg-Am-Laim-Str, have just dropped you a PM

P
JoolyBooly
I used to live in Baumkirchnerstrasse off Berg-am-Laim, and loved it. You have S-Bhan, U-Bahn, Tram, so transport all night. It's not the most attractive street and is noisy, but out back is lovely and green, and there is the Braügirgl, Schneider Weiße Bräuhaus and Biergarten, also the great Italian and Vietnamese restaurants by Baumkirchnerstr.27 where I used to live are really friendly and good. You're near Michaelibad for swimming, Ostbahnhof for nightlife... AND IT'S FREE!!

I wouldn't thik twice, take it. And like Koala said, if you don't like it you have a base to look for something else, and already having a flat makes you far more attractive to landlords.
potbelly
Hi Folks

I have just moved to Hansjakob str, Berg-am-liam Near St Veit str.. Any recommendations on Bars & restaurants. I know the area where I am is prettay quiet, but sometimes there are some little Jems hidden away.

I see JB said Baumkirchnerstr is pretty good. Any other hints and tips.

TIA
3 Lions
If you jump on the 19 tram in the direction of Ostbanhof and get off at Haidenauplatz, there is a great little Thai place on the corner. The name escapes me right now.

Not exactly on your doorstep, but only 5 minutes away by tram.
canuck
You can always start a nice bonfire by the SBahn tracks, on DB deserted land where the weeds are 1m high and sit around and drink a few Augies and sing a few songs. That's all there is to do in Berg-am-Laim right?? Actually, you could stand on the bridge over the Autobahn and throw rocks at passing cars.. sounds like great fun??
Kat
Canuck, are you fishing for bad karma or what?
I live near there, and it's great. You can't beat it for easy public transport options. S-Bahn, U-Bahn (Karl-Preis-Platz and Innsbrucker Ring aren't too far), Buses and Trams are all there. Yeah, there are a few bums and weirdos in the neighborhood, but I've never felt it was in the least bit dangerous. It's also not the prettiest neighborhood in town but I think when the tunnel is finished there may be some major renovations. This area tends to be a bit cheaper than many others, and I find for the price it's an excellent deal. It may not be snazzy or fashionable, but it's got all the amenities you need.
potbelly
You can always start a nice bonfire by the SBahn tracks, on DB deserted land where the weeds are 1m high and sit around and drink a few Augies and sing a few songs. That's all there is to do in Berg-am-Laim right?? Actually, you could stand on the bridge over the Autobahn and throw rocks at passing cars.. sounds like great fun??
or I could sit on my balcony watching the sun set with an ice cold beer from my beer fridge. No sounds of trafic or people shouting at each other etc, just the sound of birds chirping in the well maintained gardens in front of me. Occasionally, turning round to turn over the steak on my electric BBQ ! Heaven!
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.