Writing a christening card

Tips on what traditional message to use

Pages: 1 2

UrbanAngel
I hope someone can help me with this. I'm about to write a Christening card to accompany the present I bought but just realised that I don't have a clue what to write. Do I address the card to the kid or to the parents? What do I write in it? 'Happy Christening' seems a bit weird. I don't want any religious connotations to my message. Are there any English or German traditional messages?

Thanks!
Allershausen
I don't want any religious connotations to my message.
It's a Christening, how much more religious can you get?

How about "Welcome to your name"?
Kay
It's a Christening, how much more religious can you get?
That's a good one but it doesn't really help her.

@UA, maybe something simple like: "Congratulations and best wishes on XXX's (insert name if already known or your son's/daughter's/twins'/triplets', etc.) christening day", if writing to the parents, or adapted accordingly if addressed directly to the baby. If they're close friends or family you can always add "Lots of love from auntie UA".

Maybe you should wait for some proper advice, I absolutely LOATHE writing greeting cards since I never know what to say!
UrbanAngel
I've actually been asked to be the Godmother *sniggers* so maybe that changes things, Kay? The kid's my cousin.
Kay
Groan... I'm godmother twice over and I still agonise even when writing cards to send with birthday/Christmas presents to either of them.

As I said, I'm hardly the person to ask. Anyhow, I think I'd still write much the same: To XYZ, With very best wishes and lots of love on your christening day, Your godmother UA. It's the thought (+present) that counts, right, nobody's going to pay much attention to the text. (That's what I usually tell myself, it might work for you too). Good luck!
UrbanAngel
Ugh, I'm just glad it's not a Jewish baptism: The sandek ('godparent') holds the baby boy while he is circumcised.

Edit: Thanks Kay, I like that suggestion -it's along the right lines.

Does anyone know what's usually written for German christenings? It's a bilingual ceremony, you see, so I thought I'd maybe write a message in both languages. Ich w√ľnsche dir alles Gute zu deiner Taufe?
Kay
Ugh, I'm just glad it's not a Jewish baptism: The sandek ('godparent') holds the baby boy while he is circumcised.
There, you see, it could be much worse, so just look on the bright side!
dreamer
I was in the same dilemma a few weeks ago as a godmother for the first time, agonising over what to write!

Anyway I ended up writing a message to the whole family, wishing them all a special day together and as a family for the future on this memorable occasion, blah blah. Then I specifically addressed the godson (although he's never going to see the card, being all of 6 months old!), trying to avoid religious specifics but more vague things about growing up in a loving family and becoming a decent person. Can't remember the specifics, sorry.

EDIT: In the basement of Kaufhof in the card section, I found a card specifically for a godchild from their godparent. That had some nice poem-thing inside it.
HEM
I've actually been asked to be the Godmother *sniggers* so maybe that changes things, Kay? The kid's my cousin.
Beware - you'll be buying xmas & bday presents for a long time. My wife got lumbered with
this "Aufgabe" & I suspect the parent had looked around to see who they thought had money

Damned xxxxxx dear child has Confirmation in 2 weeks so after that we are off the hook.
UrbanAngel
I don't mind giving someone presents if they enjoy it. If they're a baby, then yes it's a little dumb, unless it's a practical present like clothing, but saving accounts are perfect for such an occasion.

I found a nice card already. I saw that Kaufhof had 'Pate' cards but didn't like the few they had.
Rilana
Godparents are off the hook after confirmation?! I thought it was a life-long promise (if I remember the promises the godparent has to make during the service...).

But re the card - a nice little poem would be quite good I think. Maybe do a search online for one... there are usually tons of free poems available on the internet.
profundo
The Godparent, according to wiki could be a close friend that is at most the caretaker of the child should something happen to the parents. Some circles believe that the godparent is responsible for the religious nuturing of a child. But regardless, being the the Godparent is an honor.

/and typically should need a translator.

Attached image
(sorry. no idea for the card)
Jenny L
I couldn't find godparents for my kid because all of my friends are a bunch of heathens.
Kay
I couldn't find godparents for my kid because all of my friends are a bunch of heathens.
It's a problem only if the priest is a real stickler, no? My goddaughters are Catholic but I'm not (and both priests knew it before the christenings, too).
UrbanAngel
Well actually the priest or vicar or whoever DID ask for some kind of proof that I'm a practising Catholic. Haha. That one still hasn't been resolved yet... he seems quite stubborn, so.. maybe I won't officially take part in the religious ceremony, but that doesn't bother me. The parents don't expect me to raise her religiously anyway, should anything happen to them.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.