How to open bicyle lock if the keys are lost - Germany

Tips for cracking or breaking open bike locks

Pages: 1 2

mmx
I lost my bicycle key and my bicycle is standing near U-bhan stop. I have no idea how to open the lock now, while it has thick lock.
Any ideas...
Timmeh
Bolt cutters/hack saw
pike
Assuming a flat key, get a thin strip of hard plastic or metal (about the width/thickness of the key) and that preferably has rounded edges, and tap it in gently about 6 times. Then turn.
Mook32
if its a round key, try the bic pen method
first-time-caller
Is it a solid U-shaped lock? If it is, you would be there for days with a hacksaw...I was. Borrow an angle grinder and [s]take any bike you want[/s] cut your lock.
mmx
It is not U-shapped lock. It is like a chain rapped with plastic but very thick.
Timmeh
Hacksaw...have fun.
first-time-caller
Problem solved
Mook32
Bolt cutters on the lock itself should work well, quick and painless.
guddus
@mmx..careful while you cut off the lock (would seem to have all the symptoms of STEALING while you do it)! Maybe there is a Bescheinigung required for it?? (hehe)..wonder what it would be called?
Vanman
Big Bolt Cutters.

I've heard that U-Shapped locks can be broken with a car jack. Never seen it done though.
Darkknight
They can.. They can also be angelgrinded in 2-3 min.
woolleym
@mmx..careful while you cut off the lock (would seem to have all the symptoms of STEALING while you do it)! Maybe there is a Bescheinigung required for it?? (hehe)..wonder what it would be called?
There was a segment about bike locks on Galileo (Pro7) sometime in the last week or so - generally they found that most members of the public who observed them perfoming a hidden-camera-filmed forced removal of bike locks didn't say a thing.

I'd have though that taking your bike's purchase receipt with you is probably not a bad idea if you don't want to have too much explaining to do.

Interestingly, they seem to be able to remove any lock with in seconds, except for those really expensive big fat u-shaped locks - about €70 or so. Trouble is, whilst they are really secure, they weigh a lot, I've never seen the logic; spend loads on money on a nice light weight bike, and then weight it all down with a nice fat lock!
Beer-Monster
Is it worth writing the bike off

It maybe worth asking the police what they think - you never know, they may remove the lock for you for a small fee.

Good luck
gideon
Bolt cutters. Zack and it's done. Wife lost her key and one of our nieghbours who works for the Gemeinde came round and did it in 0.7 secs.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.