Tax advisors and consultants in Berlin

Recommendations for English-speakers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

VenusInFurs
Hi, I'm actually asking for next year (I have nothing to claim for 2006, and I was not supposed to work in Germany anyway..), but is there anywhere in Berlin like H&R Block where I can get my taxes done cheaply and efficiently? They don't have to speak English...I can manage it fine in German (especially by early NEXT year, haha!) I don't know a lot about taxes in Germany, and I'm not sure what I can write off or how, so I need some help! I'm asking EARLY because I don't want tax time to roll around and find myself in a blind panic!
Editor Bob
TT advertiser Thomas Zitzelsberger isn't based in Berlin, he's down in Bavaria. But the location is irrelavant because in most cases you don't need to actually meet with a tax advisor. Thomas has clients all over Germany and pretty much all of his advice is conducted online, this also helps keep his prices down and his service efficient.
phoenix-rose
I need one, but for the 2006 German taxes. I'd prefer English speaking - since I know my German stinks. Anyone got a suggestion/recommendation for the Berlin area? Thanks!
Tim Hortons Man
it can all be done by email or by post, no need to stop by the office, be warned that if you use a steuerbreater rather than lohnsteuerhilfe it will cost you plenty. we usually pay in the range of 450 euros a year (or used to, 2006 was our last year). That's your highly paid tax lawyer/account vs. your local tax preparer.
moni
I'd definitely check the listings in the TT business directory/advertisers list first, as indeed you don't have to be in the same city.

If you do prefer someone in Berlin, you could also try googling 'berlin + steuerberater + englisch' and you'll get some websites of consultants who advertise the fact they speak English.

For what it's worth, I found my Steuerberater in Berlin through a list I got from the local Institute of Commerce for my country of origin (Italy) where I last paid taxes before coming here. They're in Charlottenburg, this is their website, it's a couple and I only dealt with one of them in German, but her partner also deals specifically with English-speaking clients and 'Internationales Steuerrecht' so you could try and contact him directly, explain your situation and ask for an estimate.

Be warned, I don't have enough experience with them yet and I don't think they're exactly cheap (but which tax consultant is?), I guess it also depends on each specific case. The estimate they gave me was in the range I expected based on hearing from other freelancers here in Germany, but I didn't have to pay anything so far. Also, due to my current income and the 'Kleinunternehmerregelung' I don't have to charge VAT on invoices, so I was told fees would accordingly be (relatively) low as there isn't any paperwork to do during the year. I met my consultant twice, once for a first chat where she explained what I needed to do, and the second time she helped me fill out the form to get my Steuernummer. Then I had to sign a form where I handed over to her all communications with the Finanzamt. She was very nice and helpful, didn't charge for any of that (I was expecting to have to pay something for the assistance with the form), told me I'll pay her fee at the end of the year when she does my taxes.
sunny
My friend Sonja is a tax consultant here in Berlin.

Here is her website: www.tax-berlin.de

She has never done my taxes but I can attest that her English skills are solid and she both a kind and professional person.

-Sunny
VenusInFurs
Thanks guys!
I'd prefer someone in Berlin...so I'll go with the Berlin suggestions, just because I think it might be a bit complicated. It's not too critical that they speak English, as I speak German and I'll probably even be fluent by tax time next year (yay!)
I make enough money that I'm preeeety sure I should be paying taxes (though not for 2006 as I made no money then) and I don't mind paying somewhat for the service as I don't even know what I can write off, etc and I think I'll end up paying more in taxes than if I hired someone to help me.
fraulein grun
Not sure if there's a topic on this already (couldn't find any when I searched), but does anyone know an English speaking steuerberater in Berlin? I'm a Dutch freelance journalist who just completed her first job for a German auftraggeber. I was completely useless at Dutch taxes already, let alone when all the info is in German...

Topics merged by admin
fraulein grun
Thanks so much, you've all been very helpful!
Sara_aka_PhDWidow
Wageman and partners in Berlin is really good and some of their staff speak English, but they are a wee bit more expensive than other tax consultants, I've been told.
marksymark
Hi,

can anyone recommend an English speaking tax advisor in Berlin, I live in Mitte.

I am about to start to work in Berlin and also will have some income from a property here and would like some tax advice on how best to prepare my papers and just generally be clued up on things. Simple enough I think

best wishes
Mark

Topics merged by admin
Sandgroperin
I'm sure I'm only stating the obvious but did you check this ad out above your thread?

Tax consultant
marksymark
no I did not cos I posted a new thread and it has arrived here, so I will check out the above posts, meanwhile if anyone has anything to add, please write

thanks Mark
xman99
"TT advertiser Thomas Zitzelsberger isn't based in Berlin, he's down in Bavaria. But the location is irrelavant because in most cases you don't need to actually meet with a tax advisor. Thomas has clients all over Germany and pretty much all of his advice is conducted online, this also helps keep his prices down and his service efficient."
This guy charges like a €100 +VAT. How much he areally spends on your case you never know, but he will charge you good.
billp
Christa Schulz, Karl-Marx-Platz 7 (that's near U-Bahn Rathaus Neukölln) Tel: 6322-6723

I've been using her services for over ten years, and many of my colleagues go to her too. I'm not sure about her English, but she explains things in very clear German.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.