The BMW logo - Germany

Bavarian flag or white propeller?

Pages: 1 2 3

YorkshireLad6
Sorry, I didn't mean that the picture inspired the logo, just to demonstrate how the logo allegedly evolved
Eleanor Rigby
I was forced to go on a BMW factory tour and the tour guide told us it was a symbol of a spinning propeller.
arshoo
What color was the spinning prop?
Verbatim
I think Bayer AG used to be I.G. Farben - shadiest of shady pasts there.
No the Bayer company is older than that. I think you mean BASF.
According to Wikipedia, Bayer was founded in 1863 but became part of IG Farben after WWI:

Bayer became part of IG Farben, a conglomerate of German chemical industries which formed the financial core of the Nazi regime. IG Farben owned 42.5% of the company that manufactured Zyklon B [citation needed], a chemical used in the gas chambers of Auschwitz, and was the only German company to operate its own concentration camp [citation needed]. When the Allies split IG Farben after World War II for involvement in several Nazi war crimes, Bayer reappeared as an individual business. Bayer executive Fritz ter Meer, sentenced to seven years in prison by the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal, was made head of the supervisory board of Bayer in 1956, after his release.
germanyshelley
we did a case study on this topic when i was in graduate school in the states...our professor told us it was a propeller...but my german boyfriend says it's the bavarian flag (of course)
RedReitenHood
Germanyshelley, don't you mean your Bavarian boyfriend?!
germanyshelley
RRH, i was wondering when i'd see you on here! are we on for lunch tomorrow?
Moko
Not a prop, but the prop spinner surely? (which are usually red and white)
Spinners are not usually any particular colour - it depends on the aircraft's colour scheme.
Owain Glyndwr
If I remember correctly, it used to be red and white as it was the symbol for EMW, Eisenach Motoren Werk, which is where the factory was before the war and changed to blue and white when It became BMW and moved to Bayern and yes it was supposed to represent a propeller. I don't think they made planes, just the engines, which of course they still do.
sorry you don't rememner correctly

The BMW logo evolved from the Rapp-Motorenwerke logo, used by a former bicycle factory founded in 1913 near Munich. Karl Rapp began manufacturing his own aircraft engines because of his proximity to the Gustav Otto Flugmaschinenfabrik who were building aeroplanes in Milbertshofen. After Rapp left the company was taken over the Austrian Franz Josef Popp in 1917, and named BMW AG in 1918. Around that time the BMW roundel developed pretty much to the shape/colour we now know and love, allegedly based on the inspiration of looking through a revolving aeroplane propellor toward the Bavarian "chequered" sky. I'm not sure it's ever been red...

Attached image -> Attached image -> Attached image
as usual YL6 is spot on.

After the second world war the Eisenach plant (which had been a BMW plant after they bought out the Fahrzeugbau Eisenach until the Soviets took over), was forced by a court order to stop using the BMW name in 1952. The red-white propellor was the EMW (Eisenach Motoren Werk) logo which developed from the BMW logo. They simply replaced the Bavarian blue with Soviet red. BMW bought back the plant after re-unification and, with the help of lots of handy government subsidies, make tooling (amongst other things) for all BMW plants.
BadlandZ
After the second world war the Eisenach plant (which had been a BMW plant after they bought out the Fahrzeugbau Eisenach until the Soviets took over), was forced by a court order to stop using the BMW name in 1952. The red-white propellor was the EMW (Eisenach Motoren Werk) logo which developed from the BMW logo. They simply replaced the Bavarian blue with Soviet red. BMW bought back the plant after re-unification and, with the help of lots of handy government subsidies, make tooling (amongst other things) for all BMW plants.
I couldn't help but dig around to see this for myself. I found the EMW logo used 1949-1956 linked here along with various versions of the BMW logo used from 1928 on linked here that look very much like the current logo.

Also, see this page for another BMW logo reference as well as links to other logos...
AgentLloyd
I was going to make a comment on how the logo is clearly a masked swastika (the American indian kind) but decided against it.
BadDoggie
BMW[/url] Mobile Tradition']For many years, even we at BMW told the public that this BMW logo is showing the rotating propeller. But we found out that this is not really true.

The middle of the logo shows the colours of the Bavarian flag -- white and blue -- and this is why BMW used it.
Source: interview with Hübner in National Geographic's "Megafactories" docutainment episode on the production of the BMW Z4.

woof.
holzmann
I have always been told that it is a propeller against a blue sky.
chas_in_aus
Well BMW have finally put out their version of the story here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znBnNJ1Fv08&feature=player_embedded . The logo reflects back to the original RAPP logo and replacing the RAPP with BMW and the horse with the colours of the Bavarian flag. It is not a spinning propeller symbol according to the video.....
El Jeffo
If course that's what BMW say. Or do you think it would help them sell more 5 Series to American Jewish doctors and lawyers if they acknowledged (and even took pride in) their military past?
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.