How to get a power of attorney - Germany

Known in German as a "Vollmacht"

Pages: 1 2

Canuckgirl
Does anyone know how I can get a Vollmacht (power of attorney)? I would perfer a friend over an actual lawyer. Is this possible? I will need someone to deal with any issues around my mail/ packages/ taxes/ apartment while I'm out of the country? Possibly for good, however everything isn't 'closed' up before I have to leave.
Thanks for your quick response. Time is ticking.
Owain Glyndwr
you can write them yourself. Just get it witnessed.
Jules Winnfield
These things are tricky. Some people will accept a power of attorney which is not notarized, however when it comes to more potentially delicate issues like banking, something more official maybe required.
Canuckgirl
Banking, I will probably be able to deal with due to online banking.

Big thing that I know will happen in the next week when I'm out of the country- registered mail... what about that specifically? Right now, my mail is being diverted to one of my German girl friends. Can she pick it up then?
Owain Glyndwr
I have picked up mail for my girlfriend with a self written and non-witnessed "Postvollmacht".
Malcolm Spudbury
There are plenty of Vollmacht templates on the internet, for example here.

Assuming a witness is required, does that have to be a Notar, or can it be done at a Post Office or bank?
Mariposa
The post office gives out little credit card sized templates for a Vollmacht. You can then check on the card which kind of mail your friend is allowed to pick up etc. Just go to the post office and they should be able to give you one of those. I left one with my parents, even though they told me at the post office that my parents (as they have the same registered address and last name) can accept all mail for me anyway.
(The post office does not require it to be notarized.)

Edit: I just saw the original post is kind of old, so nevermind my response I guess. I'll leave it up for others who might find the information helpful.
Malcolm Spudbury
What about a Vollmacht for stuff other than collecting mail, i.e. "alle erforderlichen Behördengänge" as mentioned in the template that I linked to? Would that need to be notarised? If so, who else can do it apart from a notar?

Edit: yeah, I revived this old topic rather than starting a new one and getting keydecked about it.
Rilana
I don't know about all types of Behörde stuff, but I do know that it does not need to be notarized for the Anmeldung as I've done this before.
Mariposa
I think that depends on the Behörde (i.e. you might want to call the ones in question and ask). But anyway, according to this Wiki article it seems that in Bavaria only a notar can notarize documents / signatures.

Die öffentliche Beglaubigung (§ 129 BGB) vollzieht ein Notar. Er vermerkt auf der Urkunde, welche Person die dortige Unterschrift oder das Handzeichen vollzogen oder anerkannt hat. Die öffentliche Beglaubigung kann durch eine notarielle Beurkundung der Erklärung ersetzt werden.

Seit 1. Juli 2005 sind ebenfalls die Urkundspersonen der Betreuungsbehörde für die Beglaubigungen von Unterschriften oder Handzeichen unter Vorsorgevollmachten und Betreuungsverfügungen zuständig (§ 6 Betreuungsbehördengesetz - BtBG).

Für Unterschriftsbeglaubigungen sind in einigen Bundesländern nach Landesrecht auch weitere Personen bestellt, z.B. die Ortsgerichtsvorsteher in Hessen und die Ratsschreiber in Baden-Württemberg sowie Ortsbürgermeister und Gemeindeverwaltungen in Rheinland-Pfalz.
If I understand the second paragraph correctly, you could also get the Behörde that the Vollmacht is for to notarize your signature.
Rilana
sure, but that refers to beglaubigungen and not all power of attorneys require this. For the one for the Einwohnermeldeamt, not even a witness signature was required (when I did it).
Mariposa
I don't know about all types of Behörde stuff, but I do know that it does not need to be notarized for the Anmeldung as I've done this before.
To be honest, I think a lot of Behörden are very informal about stuff (even though technically they are not supposed to be), so I would not give any general advice on this. I know I was able to deregister my second Wohnsitz by e-mail (i.e. without signing anything) and they sent me a jpeg of the confirmation, and I just also applied for the second ballot for the Landrat election by e-mail (to have it sent to the same address as the first ballot), but not all Behörden might be so nice about it, I would never tell anyone they can definitely deregister by e-mail, even though I was able to.

Edit: I know not all places require a notarized power-of-attorney which is why I said to call and ask. However, if in doubt, and if it is about important matters, I'd rather get the notarized power-of-attorney and be over-prepared than somehow not be able to get something important done because the Vollmacht was missing the notarization.
lazybum
Me and my Mrs have them for each other.
Just go to a Notar and they draw it up and witness it... takes a few minutes.
smurf
If a Wife does a Vollmacht to give permission to her Husband to look after her property must they have a notar, lawyer official witness it or can anyone witness it neighbour, friend, man off the street. Ta
Bob Loblaw
That depends entirely on what he should be able to do with the Vollmacht. For everyday life you don't need a notarized Vollmacht, but if she wants him to be able to sell her real estate for example a notarized Vollmacht is a must.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.