Does beer cure colds?

Or is it not such a good idea?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

don_riina
My cold is getting annoying. I've been asleep for a few hours, and I'm bored of sleeping, so I reckon I should just get legless on booze. Of course, making any medical decision without the collective opinion of Toytown would be folly, so please help me to decide. As I have just cracked open a delicious bottle of beer, I admittedly have pretty much already come to a decision, but hey ho.
3 Lions
Beer cures EVERYTHING!
portliestgigolo
stick to clear liquids like voka and gin. (this is not a joke.) but be sure to drink plenty of water with them. if you rise your BAC high enough the cold won't survive it.
Punchbear
Hot whiskey.

Cloves, lemon, hot water, whiskey and a spoonfull of sugar. Paddys as anything else is a waste.
William
I agree with Punchbear; particularly about the Paddys, don't want to mess up a good whisky.

Drink enough of them and you wont care how you feel.
Showem
Make a warm soup with beer as the main liquid. Healthy and alcohol and a chance to take your mind of your boredom.
don_riina
stick to clear liquids
Sorry, I steer clear of clear booze ever since some dense krout prick from Düsseldorf bought me a case of weissbier, which sounds like a nice gesture, but turned out to be kristallwiess. Fucking idiot. I do though have a bottle of gin.

Make a warm soup
Might get the missus to do that. I ain't cooking today. No chance.
sarabyrd
Try warm beer (body temperature) with an egg beaten into it. I don't know if it helps but it is nourishing. Or have a bath in warm beer. It can't harm and I don't know if it helps either, but it's something to tell your kids about once you've got your Reproduction License.
don_riina
Try warm beer (body temperature) with an egg beaten into it
Dear lord, what drugs are you on. The only time you whack an egg in a beer is if you are making a redeye. Do you know how to make a redeye, young Mrs Sarabyrd?
William
Try warm beer!! only the English do that, uuugghhhh!!! (do they have an emoticon for skin crawling?)
HellesAngel
You need a curry, ideally fresh cooked with tonnes of fresh ginger, garlic and chilli. Drink as much hot tea as you can, and eat as much fruit as you can cram down.
wahoo
hot whiskey, tea, and honey

or alternatively, I've heard Gin, as the purest form of alcohol, has great medicinal purposes.

Pour boiling water into bowl, stick your head over it with a towel over your head. Edit: In lieu of water, use beer
Wibble
Best solution is to drink 10+ beers and the next day you don't know if you feel rough from the cold or the hangover. Do this for 3-4 days and then stop (or simply reduce beer consumption) and the next day you'll feel great.

Not a great cure for a cold but if you are going to feel like shit then you might as well get pissed along the way.
sarabyrd
Dear lord, what drugs are you on. The only time you whack an egg in a beer is if you are making a redeye. Do you know how to make a redeye, young Mrs Sarabyrd?
Sugar rush at the moment, pure Coca Cola to keep me going. You asked for beer, you got beer. Drink it or pass it. And I hope you feel better soon, regardless of what you imbibe.
P.S. Can you make chicken stock with beer? Chicken soup is always a good idea for a cold.
dublindoll
i second wahoo - get a hot whiskey into you. or whiskey of any temperature really - enough of it and you'll feel fighting fit again for a while anyway...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.