Oktoberfest 2014 - the essential information

Dates, locations, general info, etc.

11 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Editor Bob
Attached image
This is the big one. The world's largest beer festival. For two weeks nearly seven million Oktoberfest visitors will consume more than six million liters of beer in 14 giant beer tents.

The Oktoberfest 2014 runs from:

Saturday 20th September
... until ...
Sunday 5th October inclusive

The Oktoberfest site is located in central Munich, Germany. The site is less than 15 minutes walk from the central railway station (the "Hauptbahnhof" in German). See the location here: Google Maps - Oktoberfest site

Opening times: The beer tents and the associated fun fair rides are open from about 10am until 10pm every day of the festival.

For lots of general information in English, see the following links:

m.hubert
Hi Toytown members,

i found a second website with information about the oktoberfest 2009 in munich it's oktoberfest info...
the portal offers a possibilty to search for hotels at the whole oktoberfest time and you can get a job at the biggest festival in the world.

What a beautiful place to work, live, sleep and drink a lot of beer!
Katrina
Bahn.de has information about longer distance train travel to the Wiesn - only in German.
perdido
@Regensburgers

if you do not catch the train before 11:44 to Munich on friday , saturday, and sunday then expect to stand .
ngwaxman
Found this really neat iPhone app about Oktoberfest, also available in English My linkOktoberfest 2009
Eastender
ok, question time:

We've always gone on the first Saturday, usually ending up in the Ochsenbraterei, since it's closest to the U-bahn. We always went along around 8:30 - 8:45am, and could walk in and get a table with relative ease. Now the problem is, we haven't done that for two years, and colleague told me that 8:30 last year was too late!! They went at 8:15 and all tents were full.

I do find that a tad hard to swallow, but I have friends coming from UK for this first Saturday next week, and cannot take the risk of not getting in/a table.

Anyone have any experience of last year on day one? (Actually, I thought the doors didn't open till 8:30....)

Ta.
Keydeck
Last year on day one I was outside the Fischer Vroni along with eleventy brazilian other people. If I remember rightly we met at 7:45 at the u-bahn and were at the door by 8:00. The crowd at the doors was a good ten to fifteen deep at that stage.

I don't believe that the tents were full at 8:15. Any I've been to generally don't open until 9. Yes of course there are a lot of people who can get in beforehand, but not the general public.

If one was to go on the opening day this year I would say that you should be there latest 8am and setup at the side doors. This year will be my twelfth consecutive Wiesn and definitely it has been getting earlier and earlier that you'd need to be there, especially over the course of the last 4 or 5 years.
HellesAngel
Went last year, same tent, first Saturday. They opened the doors IIRC about 8am and it was rammed within 15 mins although the doors stayed open about half an hour. They didn't open all the doors at the same time and we were just lucky to be by one of the first to open so got a table with relative ease. This year we'll be on the site again 07:30 to repeat the same exercise, walk around coughing and sneezing and complaining about a hellish fever hoping to put a few off , get an idea of who's where then make a choice. I made a post already about tactics for getting in, try to search for it.

Ochsenbraterei is a good choice because it's relatively unknown, last year we first scanned the site and everything else was already shut or so deep in people there was just no point trying - at Schutzen it was fairly crowded round the tent but not too bad, the Lowenbrau beer effect we thought, and so we thought we'd be in with a chance until we realised that the doors had already been opened and shut again because the tent was uber full .
Alcala
Advice if possible...

I am hosting a table for 10 at Hippodrome on Monday 28th. We finish at 6.30pm which is pretty early. Anybody have any suggestions as to what we could then do...I know if the weather is fine we have a better chance of getting a table after our reservation...should I play it by ear or try and organise something else in town? I have guests coming from UK/Belgium/Netherlands and Germany and am trying to have it run as smoothly as possible...and normally everything I do falls apart anyhow so am attempting to be prepared...

Ta
HellesAngel
First, it's highly likely that after an afternoon swilling beer even in Hippodrom some in your party will be living in their own beer induced version of reality, some will have gone home already, some will be simply missing in action so 'planning' in this state needs to be a bit flexible.

As for carrying on on the Wiesn: Nobody is going to force you to leave the tent so you can try to find place at another table but the chances are slim. Patience is a virtue and Monday isn't a big day so you'll probably find something. The problem is if you leave the tent you may not get in anywhere else - even on Mondays the tents can fill up, especially if the beer gardens are shut because it's raining or most people want to be inside because it's cold out. It's up to you if you want to take the chance, of course, but if you decide to leave and try another tent then go early as they only get more full as the evening wears on.

An amusing suggestion with a beer filled gaggle of guests is to take them on the rides a bit, you never know some hendl may fly again . Particularly good for this is the Insider ride, but don't miss the traditional amusements of Toboggan and Teufelsrad which are well worth a visit and very amusing for all concerned.
Alcala
...cheers HellesAngel...appreciate the advice....
Gorgo
Monday is usally quite nice, Hippodrom seems to still take reservations for 3:30-6:30 on that monday so I wouldn't worry too much about finding another place in the non-reservation area. Try too look for one a little bit earlier.
Hazza
Advice if possible...

I am hosting a table for 10 at Hippodrome on Monday 28th. We finish at 6.30pm which is pretty early. Anybody have any suggestions as to what we could then do...I know if the weather is fine we have a better chance of getting a table after our reservation...should I play it by ear or try and organise something else in town? I have guests coming from UK/Belgium/Netherlands and Germany and am trying to have it run as smoothly as possible...and normally everything I do falls apart anyhow so am attempting to be prepared...

Ta
If you want to stay after that time, then you need to look for a table well before you get kicked out. It may also be worth tipping your waiter/ess well and then asking him/her if they can find something unreserved for you.
Alcala
cheers people....I actually did ask them when I picked up my tickets etc if I could reserve another table again for after we had finished the first...however I think as has been pointed out that a generous tip could help sway a free table in a favour...

Bring it on then!!!
HellesAngel
Yes, generous, ahem, tips are the way the Wiesn works these days
11 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.