Treatment of black people in Germany

Opinions on racism in this country

14 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Nelson
I am from Trinidad and am planning to move to Germany. Are there any Trinis out there?

I've read so much about racial crime. How is life as a black person in Germany?
cnote
I believe that the most racists in germany do not like the Turkish or the people who come from the eastern european countries. Ultimately, if one is getting away with cheating the system and working for under the table wages, one can expect a higher level of racism. Honestly, no matter where you go, in any country, there are assholes, biggots, racists and criminals. The good thing about germany is that it's in the middle of europe and there's such a diverse community from allover the world that it's not as bad as most places. Do yourself a favor: learn the language, get a registerred job and try to have a few friends from different countries and cultures and you should be pretty good. The easiest way to be singled out is to hang out only with people who share your skin color. Sad but true. I have been in the presence of many people who will look at a group of 5 or more Turkish or Africans and say something derogitory.

Good luck.

cnote
Crawlie
Oh great. Another racism in Germany topic. Have not had one of those in a while.

Nelson. First up - Trinidad is a cool country. Been there a couple of times.

Secondly. Racism in Germany is not anywhere near the problem some people here will make it out to be. Germans, especially the older generation, are just a bit stuck in there ways and, well, rude. But we all have experienced it in one way or another but it just all depends how you interpret it.
Small Town Boy
It also depends where in Germany you move to. Generally speaking, the former East has a bigger problem with racism and neo-Nazism, although it's still relatively small. In a big city like Berlin people will barely notice you, but move to a small, Catholic village in deepest Bavaria and you'll stick out like a sore thumb.
eurovol
Even a white American sticks out like a sore thumb in those dorfs. It is amazing that a town of 800 all know who you are (and talk about you) and you only know maybe a half dozen of the people.
mr. Rent
Hi,

the name of the game here and everywhere is integration. Learn the language, carry yourself well, and I'm sure that your problems will be held to a minimum.
don_riina
Learn the language
Yep, that always stops people staring or shouting abuse...
eurovol
Be sure to cut your hair and to not look like a pot smoking 60's hippy reject.

For some reason, dreads are cool here and don't be offended when Germans tell you that they love "black music".
perdido
I am going to predict, and let me look into my magic ball...that within 48 hours this thread will run into four pages.

That said Picasso kicks ass bitches!!!
clementine
Germans tell you that they love "black music".
I think it was MediaMarkt that had a section of cds labelled as "BLACK MUSIC", in which all cds by black artists were sorted. This was in Frankfurt am Main and I had to take a picture to show my american friends.
nixe
I've seen that music category in Saturn as well. Last time I was there I asked one of the sales assistants where the 'white music' was.

In the DVD section they also have 'rainbow' films.
perdido
Its the same in müller as well.
Bell the cat
In the DVD section they also have 'rainbow' films.
aren't those the gay ones?
Diane
Generally speaking, the former East has a bigger problem with racism and neo-Nazism, although it's still relatively small. In a big city like Berlin people will barely notice you
Well Berlin can have its moments...

I live in Berlin and although I'm not black or muslim not a day goes by without me getting the hostile stares and I've had my fair share of racist abused shouted at me, spits and some years ago I nearly got kicked while pregnant by a group of skin heads in East Berlin but I managed to get away.

I would say cities in the West of Germany are probably a tiny bit more tolerant, but I haven't lived there
Sin
Germans, especially the older generation, are just a bit stuck in there ways and, well, rude. But we all have experienced it in one way or another but it just all depends how you interpret it.
The boy is right. Older people (not just Germans) generally (Oh! How I hate generalisations) take the longest to acclimatise, because they are not used to, and don't particularly like, change. City people are the quickest to accomodate change. Country people can (not always) have a problem even if they suspect that the other person's dialect is from some alien, foreign village, the other side of the hill. I wouldn't let other people's views change yours. Just put your head down and go for it. Try settling in a multiracial quarter of a city, where the minds can be that more open. For Munich I would suggest the Westpark area. There are plenty of shades of skin to go around, but the blood inside is always red. Don't let a tiny fraction of the population put you off. And, if you are from Trinidad, you should fit in well with all the Scots. After all, they all have Trindad & Tobago footie shirts too.
14 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.