How to tell someone they need to shower more often

Smelly work colleagues in particular

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gen
title says it all really. I searched for quite a while as I could've sworn we've handled this topic before... wasn't there something about leaving deo on the desk? That's not the route I want obviously. Maybe someone's a better searcher than me and will post a link to the other thread...
phenomenon
When he shows up, start gasping (loudly .. so that he notices) and quickly slip on one of these
http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk/eve.../IM.0695_zp.jpg
Jeckel
Is he German by any chance?
Scogs
Gen you are not normally this shy and retiring...just tell him/her
Darkknight
Get a misting/spritzing bottle, fill it with water, and hit'em with a shot everytime they walk by
bucket06
When he shows up, start gasping (loudly .. so that he notices) and quickly slip on one of these
http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk/eve.../IM.0695_zp.jpg
Is he German by any chance?
Incredibly sexist of you both. Believe it or not women smell too!
California Friend
I have never smelled such smelly people in my entire life. Maybe, if they just didn't air out their clothes and actually washed them they wouldn't stink so bad. I am really offended when people show up at dinner parties and they stink. You would think they would have some pride in themselves that they would come clean. My husband is German and when he first arrived in America he never noticed anyone smelling but on his first trip back to Germany all he could do was complain about the smell. His co-worker stunk and he was in a small office with him and when the guy would enter the office he would jump up and open the window trying to give him a big hint. It didn't work. My husband said he never noticed the smell before - he was so used to it. But it makes him sick now!
phenomenon
Incredibly sexist of you both. Believe it or not women smell too!
Apologies to fellow males .. but that was only for want of a suitable pronoun for indeterminate gender.
http://www.cjr.org/tools/lc/heshe.asp
But that would be another never-ending thread ..
sarabyrd
I did once drop a co-worker a hint by saying that I always have a can of deodorant in my desk in case I realize that I'm getting smelly during the day. If she didn't have one at work she was welcome to use it.
She understood but didn't do anything about it.
The boss sacked her soon afterwards, saying "Sie müffelt". To me, not to her.
Gen
it is a guy yeah. Amazed I managed to leave that out of my original post. Oh and I'm in an office with 10 people, open plan office, so if I say anything everyone will hear.

And Scogs you know how to take it when I tell you off, but I don't know this guy that well yet... just sometimes there's a great phrase that someone's found, like sarabyrd's deo one. That's not bad. What I'm doing now is putting perfume on when he comes in, mostly so that I smell the perfume and not him, and I expect someone to notice at some point...
the Boy From Bozlem
It’s Christmas soon. Why not buy them some deodorant and stuff, they will think you are nice for the present and come the New Year they [s]wont[/s] should not stink
Crawlie
Just tell the person in question out straight that they carry an unpleasant smell and that they may want to try using a different deodorant or maybe shower once in a while.

That is how I approached it back in my old company. People were trying to leave subtle hints about the smell of a colleague but without success. So I just stood up and told he that he stank and that showers were no longer optional for him. That seemed to do the trick
gooner_gal
Secret Santa...deo as a Xmas pressie!
Jeckel
Sorry Gen, I had to ask. It's just that when I first came to germany, I thought that it was law here to put in the job description for CLEANERS that they "must not wear/use deodorant"!!! It does seem though that German deo's are shit. I bring Glilette anti perspirant (as opposed to deodorant) back from the UK. I think it's the CFC's or something!? I find German mens deodorants make me smell like a bird or make you smell worse than using none at all.
I don't sweat loads before you say anything, just have my little idiosyncrasies. I don't like the way some germans smell & don't ever like the thought of being like "one of them"

In all honesty though, just tell him. Out of the blue one day just ask him if he forgot to put on his deodorant "today". That way he'll think he nornmally smells ok but will start doing something about it. Be blunt!
sarabyrd
It’s Christmas soon. Why not buy them some deodorant and stuff, they will think you are nice for the present and come the New Year they [s]wont[/s] should not stink
A co-worker did that do a lawyer once. It didn't help. Damn, he could stink!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.