Knitting, yarn, wool, and needlework shops - Munich

Recommended stores and outlets

Pages: 1 2 3 4

potterstreet
I am looking for knitting/yarn/needlework shops. Have been to the one on Rosental as well as to the department stores, but was wondering if anyone can recommend other outlets for cool yarn? Also, does anyone know if there is anything here like a Stitch ‘n Bitch? (Bunch of people sitting in a café or other public place knitting, sharing ideas and shooting the breeze. Great fun)

Thanks!
Showem
Aha! An text-book example of the use "shoot the breeze".

Ask Bubblegum about cool yarn, she had a big pack of nifty looking stuff last time I saw her.
The hobby shop at Mäthauser (sp?) at Karlsplatz has yarn, but nothing really wild.
Katrina
The is a really good wool shop in the Volkartstr. in Neuhausen right near the U1 Rotkreuzplatz U-Bahn station Volkartstr. exit.
It is called Wollkorb. They are in the Sendlingerstr. too.
Katrina
Bubble Gum
Wollkorb is pretty cool, they also have one on Sendlingerstr. But my absolute favorite is the section in Beck (a department store at Marienplatz), which has a sewing and knitting section called Genaeht und Zugegnoepft (or something like that, pm me for directions, you outside of the main building). They have really great yarn from italy and they organize it by color, so that when you walk it in looks sort of like a candy shop with all these different types of colors and textures. I find the prices better than the other places as well (it has a lot of the same stuff Wollkorb has, but a tiny bit cheaper), and as far as I remember much cheaper than the one on Rosental (though I could be wrong about that), and better selection in my opinion. They also have a woman who comes in every Wednesday for a couple of hours who gives free advice on your knitting problems.

As for the Stich n Bitch, I don't know of anything like that, but it sounds like it would be fun, I would love to hear about it if you find something like that in Munich!
erdbeere
i thought u can get that kinda stuff in hertie... theres a big section with like fabrics and stuff and i think i saw yarn there too..not sure tho.
Bubble Gum
Hertie does have a really huge section, but their yarn isn't that nice, they use a lot of unnatural fibers like polyester in they're yarn, which doesn't feel so nice.
potterstreet
erdbeere, thanks for your input. bubblegum is correct. stores such as hertie and karstadt stock mostly synthetics. i was looking for a finer grade of wool and found it this morning in the ludwig beck wool shop, down the street from the main store. terrific selection of stuff, breathtakingly displayed. i really am so glad you pointed me in the right direction, bubblegum. many thanks! am also going to try woolkorb next week.
Bubble Gum
Your welcome! Just happy I can talk about yarn and knitting knowing that the other person isn't falling asleep. My poor friends.
gideon
ok i know as i guy i shouldn't be on this thread but i could do with some knitting info for my mum (honest). where's the best place to get traditional german paterns? and are they anything different to uk paterns, my mums a knitting mashine and can do a dhilds jumper in a day, so it'd be cool to get her to do some for winter, octoberfest etc.

but i do know that bec is the best button shop, i lose her for hours in there when she visits.
lemon
I need a darning needle that is big enough to thread wool. Would I find one at Hertie? Where do they have their wool and handicraft supplies?
Alala
Yes there is a Stitch-n-Bitch group here, meets on Sundays. I haven't been to one yet, as I live in the boonies, but I'm working on convincing dh that I need to go. There is also a Stitch-n-Bitch thread on the board here somewhere, but I don't know how to link to other threads, sorry. Should be in the Events section?

As for darning needles, they should be in the hardware section of any knitting store, I would think. Can't remember where I got mine...
Alala
where's the best place to get traditional german paterns?
I did find this at amazon.de, but I haven't read it myself so I don't necessarily recommend it. I will ask someone the next time I'm at a yarn shop, though.
potterstreet
lemon, hertie sells what you need. 1st floor (or what we americans would call 2nd floor) bahnhof side. alternatively, you can get knitting/sewing supplies at karstadt, kaufhof, etc.
maria.nelson
Hey there, where is this Beck department store? My stash of yarn i brought from the states is now non-existant and i desperately need some!
Showem
The main building of Beck is on the north east corner of Marienplatz. I believe the yarn shop is on the same block, but around to the back or down the street. Just go to Beck and circle until you see it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.