Outlet City - factory outlets in Metzingen

Boss, Nike, Escada and lots more

Pages: 1 2 3

Keydeck
Attached image
Metzingen is known as the captial of German outlet stores. The town is near Stuttgart (just over 200km from Munich) and is home to factory outlet stores for Hugo Boss, Ralf Lauren, Nike, Levi's, Escada, Tommy Hilfiger, Esprit, Pepe Jeans and many more.

A full list of the outlets and lots more information can be found at the website of Outlet City.

Went over there on Saturday and had a look around. From what I saw, the Hugo Boss store appears to be the biggest of them all. This is probably due to the head-quarters of Boss being in the town. Within that store the women's section is not overly big, but for men there is a pretty great selection of stuff, especially if you are in the market for a suit or two.

The place is well worth a visit and you can pick up some great bargains. Of course it's easy to spend more at a factory outlet because stuff is cheaper, but it's stuff that you wouldn't have bought otherwise. Assuming you either have good will-power when it comes to parting with your cash or just don't care then you're likely to be quite happy.

Wasn't really sure where to put this since it's something which might be of interest to people is various parts of Germany. I know this place has been mentioned a few times on TT, but thought it deserved a thread title of its own if anyone is searching for it.
brokenm
In a marketing course I took during my MBA we studied the Outlet stores in the US. From my experience the same can be applied to german ones. In the US, the stores are not considered bargains over the normal store sales. The overall price is a bit cheaper, but usually these are previous years styles or items made directly for the outlet store market. That being said, I bought several trousers at the Metzingen Hugo store. Normal price in Munich 130 euro, Metzingen, 70-90 euro. Sale price in Munich for similar trousers, 60-70 euro, however as Keydeck described the selection is HUGE. In Munich you might find 1-2 sale trousers you may want at the discounted price, but in Metzingen there are literally hundreds of choices. So go for the choice and not necessarily the bargains.
Elfenstar
i might have written this before (since keydeck is right, metzingen has been mentioned before), but if you are a regular hugo boss, jil sander, tommy hilfiger, escada buyer, etc. then it is worth it to give the outlet a try.

i actually did buy a hugo boss suit for 150 EUR (new price 500 EUR) because there is a weaving mistake behind one of the knees, but i was in the market for a business suit anyhow and that was an excellent bargain regardless of brand name.
Ura
Has anyone been to Metzingen by train from Munich?

How long did it take to get there?

Cheers,
Ura
Elfenstar
you would take the train to Plochingen (about 20 km east of Stuttgart) and then get into a RB train there. from Esslingen (where I used to live, which is close to Plochingen) it took 30 minutes. from munich to plochingen, you'll need 2 hours.

EDIT: DB said 2:40 minutes -- Munich - Plochingen - Metzingen

One way, 42€
Small Town Boy
No particular reason you couldn't have looked at the Deutsche Bahn website yourself.
Ura
Thanks for the info!
DieNadel
Do the stores open on weekends and special days?

I used to go to Maastricht (The Netherlands) to buy electronics when I was living in Aachen. The stores open at pre-defined Sundays with good discounts.
Ratbert
You are coming all the way from South America for some shopping?

They are open on Saturdays, I do not think there is any Sunday shopping.

edit, the correct answer is on the website, follow link from 1st post...
DieNadel
You are coming all the way from South America for some shopping?
Well, yeah! You know, we don't have much stores here because their weight keeps making them fall from the treehouse they're in

Just kidding (but not much, when I was living in Japan looking for a notebook to buy, I was actually asked if we had COMPUTERS in Brazil).

I spent some months near Aachen (NRW) and now I'm planing to move to Karlsruhe (but I doubt I'll have the kind of money needed to indulge in shopping sprees )
Ura
Just wondering if anyone is interested in sharing a hire-car to get to Metzingen?
fission
Hi everyone,

what's the cheapest way to get there? Is it possible by a Bayern ticket or something? And how about by bus? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Keydeck
From where?
fission
oops. From Munich center
fission
anyone??
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.