Munich is Germany's most expensive city

UBS global comparison of purchasing power

Pages: 1 2

MajorBummer
It's official. Munich is the most expensive German city to live in. Frankfurt is the second most expensive city to live in. According to the UBS 2006 "Prices and Earnings" Study , Munich ranks top of Germany and on position 18 globally. The study took the price of a basket of 122 goods and services European consumers would favour as a base for their index. The figures do not include rent. If rent were included, Munich would probably be on position 10 or something. According to the study, Oslo is the most expensive city to live in.
Attached image
Munich has the second highest wages in Germany, topped by Frankfurt. Berlin has the third highest wages, but the study forgot to mention the fact there's no work to be found in Berlin. The wages taken for the index are based on 14 different professions.

Berlin wins as having the best domestic purchasing power (working time required to buy one BigMac). Your HartzIV money goes a long way here. Frankfurt takes the second position, Munich only the third position.

There's a .pdf file you can download on the page with the full summary of the report, including all the tables.

Four European cities and Tokyo most expensive - highest wages in Scandinavia, Switzerland and the US

Oslo, London, Copenhagen, Zurich and Tokyo are the world’s most expensive cities.

With the highest net wages, Zurich and Geneva, followed by Dublin, Los Angeles and Luxembourg, lead the pack in purchasing power.

People in Asia work the longest hours – almost 50 days more per year than Western Europeans.

Asian workers at least partially compensate for low purchasing power through longer working hours.

Oslo, London, Copenhagen, Zurich and Tokyo are the world’s most expensive cities in relation to a standardized basket of 122 goods and services. The UBS study "Prices and Earnings" shows that life is particularly expensive in London and New York if the cost of housing is included. The basket of goods and services costs the least in Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Delhi and Buenos Aires.
Eleanor Rigby
This doesn't even take into account that groceries here are disproportionately cheap due to the price wars of the discounters.
Hutcho
I dont' know how much I trust this, seeing as it didn't take into account property costs. I mean, what is the difference between buying groceries in Oslo in first place compared to Milan in 25th place? 10% difference in cost? If you spend 300 euros a month on groceries and services, thats only 30 euros, which is really shit all.

Paying 2000 euros in London for the same flat as I have here in Munich for 1000 though makes a huge difference..
Carm
I am going to start looking for a job in one of those higher salary places.
Kay
You could make a packet working in Switzerland, that's for sure.
Elfenstar
I dont' know how much I trust this, seeing as it didn't take into account property costs.
agreed hutcho. if you cannot pay the rent, then who cares if you can afford a litre of milk.
mj davey
@kay - or loose one!
boomtown_rat
she isn't going to like that double o mj, you have been warned
Kay
@kay - or loose one!
BR is right, I don't like that double 'o' at all, you'd better lose one pronto.
Bart
I think Dublin & Amsterdam should be in the top 3!
erdingtown
We moved here from Prague. I can tell you that Munich (erding) is cheeper to live in than Prague. Except, of course for the cheap beer and restaurants. food is cheaper her and so are flats and utilities and prices of major consumer products. The only two things that are more expensive is the metro and restaurants.
pike
Frankfurt has since overtaken Munich...

The list of the world's most expensive cities has Frankfurt 12th, Munich 13th, and Berlin 33rd.

http://www.ubs.com/global/en/wealth_management/wealth_management_research/prices_earnings.html
kato
Something's not right in their statistics.

Compare the wage levels for Munich and Frankfurt. Gross and Net. The factor between the two should be the same for both cities, since wages are only taxed at federal level in Germany - even with progression factored in, Munich being ahead of Frankfurt on gross wages should still be ahead on net wages too. It's not though.

According to page 28, you pay average 35% taxes and social contributions in Munich, 31% in Frankfurt and 30% in Berlin - without the wages in Munich being sufficiently higher to shelve this with progressive income taxation only.
InaStanoeva
strange, where is Moscow??
LukeSkywalker
Moscow is a cheap city at 40th place .

It can't be that Paris is cheaper than Munich. There are so many institutions and newspapers doing this research every year and each one has a different list. Don't take it for granted.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.