Salary levels for various jobs in Germany

Info on average salaries for different industries

28 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »

margie
Hello,

I've been asked by a prospective employer to provide my salary requirements. Does anyone know where I can quickly find out average or standard pay scales for different types of work in Germany? I can find this info for the US at www.salary.com, among other places, but I have had no luck finding an equivalent for Germany.

Many thanks,
Margie
Editor Bob
The German words for such salary-related information are: Gehaltsspiegel and Gehaltstest

See: Jobpilot.de - Gehaltstest

The Süddeutsche Zeitung has another: Gehaltstest A-Z

For example, their result for technical writers is:

• €2,000 to €2,700 per month for new starters
  • €3,626 to €6,097 for experienced employees
See also the search results for other salary-related topics on this forum.
Elfenstar
I would correct that writer's salary downwards and add:

• €1,800 to €2,500 per month for new starters
  • €2,600 to €4,000 for experienced employees (2-5 years experience)
And this gross salary of course, i.e. total before tax.
DDBug
I'd agree with Elfenstar - but I would raise it to €4,500 or €5,000 for experienced employees.
stanford
Margie, whilst taking into account what people have posted... be careful to ensure that you get a good salary that also allows you to fly home and save money. Now is the time to get the best deal not in a year's time when you've found out that you've negotiated badly...

More is normally better.
DDBug
More is better unless you out-bid yourself for the job.
stanford
Granted but less is also a bummer when you sit next to people (doing the same job) who negotiated better or you find your standard of living has been reduced. So one has to be very careful with negotiating salaries for a job abroad.

I remember some pipsqueak who got 10 to 20% more than a bunch at expats at my last german firm even though he was straight out of Uni. Another guy negotiated badly and then tried to claw it back but he was on the pay scale then so they would pay him an extra 2 or 3% extra a year - meaning he'd catch up to the other guy after about 10 years...!!! Shit firm anyhow.
Twain Harte
Try to talk about a "range" you are willing to accept so you give the interviewer some leeway -knowing that the mid point is what you want. What they reply will give you some indication about how much they want you.

You should know exactly how contracts with employees work. I've never negotiated in Germany.

Yeah, salary negotiations are difficult. Keep your confidence up and remember all the nightmare deadlines and difficult people you have to work with as a tech writer. From a tech writer to you, don't forget that.

I'd ask a lot of questions about their process because that will indicate to you how well organized they really are and how difficult it will be to work within their schedules and among people who are mostly viewed as more important to the company than whatever contribution you make. If it is a small department or a well-established technical publications group, that makes a huge difference too. Your reporting structure also has an impact. Are you reporting to marketing, engineering, or some hybrid of workers that nobody knows what to do with? The closer you are to engineering, the better, unless you enjoy writing fiction.

Good luck to you! I hope it all goes well.
malikos
Does anyone know the average salary in Germany?

Topics merged by admin
Showem
Salary of what? Butcher, baker, candlestick maker? IT consultant fluent in 7 different computer languages? Prostitute? Star striker for Bundesliga team? Au-pair?
Tom17
I think he means for an astronaut.
Eleanor Rigby
€4,00
marka
Is that per minute, hour, week, bushel, ounce, hectare?
Sebias
The national average gross income for industry, commerce, banking and insurance industry jobs is €3,452 / month. This is according to DeStat.
boomtown_rat
€60,000 per year is a very good salary in Germany.
28 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.