Plattdüütsch - a special northern German dialect

Essential vocabulary for a life in Hamburg

Pages: 1 2 3

Hammonia
If you live in Hamburg for longer, you will probably hear some very strange words (apart from the usual strange German words ). Some of them might sound quite familiar, though.

Plattdüütsch, also: Plattdütsch (= Plattdeutsch = low German/flat German) is being spoken in many areas, most active in Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Niedersachsen. But you will also find it in the Netherlands, Denmark, even parts of Poland.

Living in Hamburg you should know some basics, which I would like to collect here...

...and start with the most important word:

moin = hello
moin moin = (have a) good day
Hammonia
...and carry on with my favourite word:

Schietbüddel = crap bag = Scheißtüte (literal meaning) but standing for kleiner Scheißer = little bugger

The literal meaning crap bag might sound a little harsh, but "mien lütten Schietbüddel" is usually used as a term of endearment for kids, or maybe your partner.
Didsbury's Daftest
Moin is fun to use but you really don't need to know any "Platt" whatsoever living in Hamburg. And for those of you willing to learn: http://www.plattmaster.de/wordbook.htm
All'ns klor? Denn man... Moin Moin
Hammonia
Didsbury's Daftest: was it not obvious that I wasn't really serious?
Maybe not - I had a in the title but it was deleted by mod...

Anyway - of course it is not a MUST to know Platt, but it is fun.

Just wanted to collect some funny words here... but there's always somebody who knows better

Alln's chlor, wie der Taucher sagt.
bern
Ooooh...can't help you with Hamburg, but I grew up speaking the Saarbruecker dialect... Can speak it, couldn't hope to write it. Not too many Saarlaenders around these parts...
cinzia
Is it a written dialect, anyway, bern?

One of my German teacher's pet peeves was written Bayrisch. He said the dialect was never meant to be written.
bern
Good point but since I'm not that good at writing hoch deutsch either, I'll just stick with verbal communication, platt or otherwise.
Hammonia
He said the dialect was never meant to be written.
Think he has a point there - problem is (don't know about other dialects, but know about Platt) that less people are actually speaking the dialect. So how would you learn it, if there weren't e.g. some internet sites showing you.

There's a growing number of young people who want to prevent platt from becoming extinct, though. Think that's a good thing, cos I just like to hear Platt. It reminds me of my childhodd, when my Mum used to speak Platt with her family. I don't really speak Platt, I know quite a lot, but now enough for a proper conversation, although I understand most of it.

In case you're interested:
There's a lot of Asterix and Obelix books in Mundart, even one for Hamburger Snack. Think the first one in Platt was de Törn för nix really funny.
It's also available in Münchnerisch, Hessisch, Kölsch and lots of other dialects.
Unfortunately Asterix does not (yet) speak English dialects (AFAIK) - would be funny to read it in Cockney, or Glaswegian

Anyway, back to the topic.

The platt word of the day is

Katteekersteert = Eichhörnchenschwanz = Squirrel's tail = (for the Bavarians) Oachkatzlschwoaf (sorry Cinzia )
BadDoggie
Platt is not a "dialect", it's a language spoken in many parts of the lowlands, from Germany into the Netherlands, Jutland and more. Platt is an official "regional language" under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages. It's related to Frisian which is one of the roots of English, and it's surprisingly easy for English speakers to understand. You can hear platt all over the world: Mennonites speak it.

There's a weekly show on NDR called "Talk op platt" (Sundays, 14:30) which is -- surprise, surprise -- done purely in platt. Also, Platt On-line is a pretty good starting site.

For the pedants and those who fear them/us, Platt has no official orthography: writing and spelling are based on a mix of Dutch and German conventions. The language doesn't even have One True Official Name -- the following is not an exclsive list of what the language is spelled/called: Platt, Plat, Plaut, Plattdeutsch, Plattduetsch, Plattduutsch, Plattdutch, Platduits, Plautdietsch, Platdutsk, Platsnackers, Platsnakers.

woof.
Expat Mat
How to turn a fun thread serious in one easy step by BadDoggie.
Hammonia
Right Mat. Thanks.

I don't really see the point in discussing language and dialect here.

For those interested, have a look here: Dialect - Wikipedia
BadDoggie
Where did I kill the fun? What "fun" exactly? I provided a few links, some information and I figured most of the people here would rejoice that the pedants here can't say much when it comes to Platt. Bite me.

woof.
Hammonia
The information you provided is very interesting - it's the smartarsing that annoys me.

Especially as there are no universally accepted criteria for distinguishing languages from dialects.
And Jutland is a peninsula. It's partly in Denmark, partly in Germany (Schleswig-Holstein) - and I mentioned that Platt is spoken in Schleswig Holstein and Denmark. My bit of smartarsing

So why not just return to the actual intention of the thread: collecting some funny words in Plattdütsch, useful or not.

Have a sunny day
Hammonia
Also one of my favourite words:

Spökenkieker

literal meaning: Geisterseher (Spöken = Geister/ghosts, kieken = sehen, schauen/see, peer)
Someone who can see gosts, resp. believes in ghosts and other supernatural things.
Also used for being clairvoyant, for a visionary.
Can also describe someone who is a bit queer/whimsical, a lunatic.
Didsbury's Daftest
It's partly in Denmark, partly in Germany (Schleswig-Holstein) - and I mentioned that Platt is spoken in Schleswig Holstein and Denmark. My bit of smartarsing
Now I wonder why...wasn't Schleswig Holstein once reigned by the Danes? Platt is en Weltsprook!!
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.