Shipping a laptop from the U.S. to Germany

Experiences doing this, and other advice

Pages: 1 2

kumar_aqua
Hi,

I am looking for a possibility to get a laptop shipped from the US of A to Germany. Is it possible? and have anyone on this forum done this before? Any experiences?

Regards
Sai
Darkknight
Yes, it's possible but you have many problems in doing so.

1. Import duty (23% or more for Electronic items)
2. Damage
3. Theft

If at all possible, take it with you as carry on baggage on the plane.
Don't check it in, and always keep it in sight or close by. It might
also be easier to get the laptop here in Germany, it might cost ya a bit more though.
SquirrelGirl
I had my mom ship mine here using regular post, put a reduced amount on it (500) and wrapped real good. It made it fine without me having to pay any customs, but I may have just got lucky.. as about every 3rd package she sends gets opened by customs and I have to pay the import fee of 23%. It helps if it looks used, and not in the original packing. Good luck!
Johnny English
Sounds obvious, but do not send packed in a box that says "Dell Laptop". Laptops are the #1 thieved item when shipping with couriers.

The classic trick is that they nick the units, reseal, and just stick a brick in the box so it weighs the correct amount.

But there is no point in shipping a NEW laptop really from the States as price differences are usually pretty small, and if it is a used laptop then sure - 'cos 2nd hand laptops are only worth $500 at best.
Editor Bob
Regards theft of a laptop during shipping, see the two previous related TT topics:
actordamian
Hi Toyers,

Want a cheap laptop. Preferably a Dell, less than €500. With XP Professional, internet capabilities-wireless, DVD/CD player, USB ports, Pentium 4 or better, Morzilla and Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Real' installed etc. Let me know within the next 7 days from 04-10-08.

Meantime. Be good, be safe.
Damian.
Texmandie
The main problem with buying a laptop over here is the keyboard. If most of what you're typing is German, then they're great, but if you're a touch typist or programmer who learned on a US keyboard, they're a pain in the neck. My biggest gripe isn't the switched Y and Z keys or even the mixed-up punctuation - it's how far the Return key is from the home position. My pinky can easily make the stretch on a US keyboard, but there's an extra key in the way on a German one! Also, having the semi-colon under my pinky is good when typing Java or C# code.
munix
In the U.S. you often only get 12 months of warranty and not 24 like everywhere in the EU. And you usually have to send a laptop back to the states if you want the manufacturer to repair it.
Darkknight
Depends on the Manufacture and the warranty.. You can buy a Dell Latitude, an Apple MAC Book, or an IBM/Lenovo and get a 2yr Worldwide warranty.
You just have to pay a bit more for it.
Expaticus
The main problem with buying a laptop over here is the keyboard. If most of what you're typing is German, then they're great, but if you're a touch typist or programmer who learned on a US keyboard, they're a pain in the neck. My biggest gripe isn't the switched Y and Z keys or even the mixed-up punctuation - it's how far the Return key is from the home position. My pinky can easily make the stretch on a US keyboard, but there's an extra key in the way on a German one! Also, having the semi-colon under my pinky is good when typing Java or C# code.
1) Get a big paper clip. 2) Gently pry up the "Y" and "Z" keys and reverse them. 3) Go into the operating software and set the keyboard for the "Atl-Shift" switch between 'EN" and "DE". 4) Make youself al little cheat card for the weird characters.

Problem solved.
eurobabs
Or just get used to it. I protested for a long time switching (I had my German keyboard set to English for several years) until my boyfriend kept switching it. So, I finally gave up and just left it and it really only took me about 1 week to get used to it.

Now I work for a company that gave me a laptop with an English keyboard and I HATE IT!! I switched it to German

Especially if you are one that touch types and doesnt need to look, what does it matter what the actual key says anyway
HEM
You people should try a French keyboard
Small Town Boy
Yeah, French keyboards are outright bonkers. Having to use the shift key to type a number makes sense because...?

Attached image
genetik.master
I once got a laptop shipped from the US to Germany via FedEx and it was stolen!
they actually delivered an empty package...
and when we tried to claim that they are having the process ongoing for 4 months now...
there is now way the laptop will be found again and really low chances of having money back from the company...
after that happened i heard a couple of similar cases...
..beware...
jwadleigh
What about laptop ordered in EU and shipped to the UK (London) to a friend's house (in order to get a big discount on the laptop instead of the price in Germany)... and now I need it send to Germany. What are the odds of it still being taxed when shipped from London to Munich?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.